Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/72

1       2       3              72      
       74              577       578       end

allstarimaging
Total Posts: 2027

JMAN13 18-55

This seems to have a little HDR thing going on but with the runner in it that would not make sense. This lens seems pretty impressive. Have you made prints from it and if so how do they look and how large have you gone?
Jack

suey11
Total Posts: 46

Outstanding.

itai195
Total Posts: 1358

I continue to be impressed with the quality of the images in this thread!

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 660

johnahill wrote:
^ Great black and white shots.

Here'sone from a recent holiday, XE-1 + 18-55

So really very good! I love it!

Jman13
Total Posts: 13003

allstarimaging wrote:
JMAN13 18-55

This seems to have a little HDR thing going on but with the runner in it that would not make sense. This lens seems pretty impressive. Have you made prints from it and if so how do they look and how large have you gone?
Jack

No HDR, but a fair amount of tuning in Lightroom and with Nik Viveza.

I've printed a 16x20 with this lens, and it looks fantastic. The lens is an odd one for me. I still can't really figure out whether this is just how it is, or if mine's minorly defective, but it has been a schizophrenic lens for me. I'll get really sharp shots with it, followed by the occasional shots that are junk. I don't know if it has issues with IS on at higher shutter speeds (if so, it's not consistent), or if there's something else odd going on. Part of me wants to exchange it for another, though B&H is closed right now (I'm just under the 30 day window right now), or to send it to Fuji, or just deal, but it's odd. I'll get a bunch of really nice images with a handful of softies thrown in for no real reason.

For instance, here are two shots today, both taken at 18mm and f/8, only difference is exposure compensation...both focused at infinity (well, the buildings in the center of the main shot). Left image is at 1/450s, right at 1/250s, with OIS on, so there should be absolutely no possibility of camera shake. As you can see from the image key, these are lower left corners...the one on the left is noticeably softer than the one on the right. Why? I have no idea. These random soft images crop up from time to time, with no real rhyme or reason from what I can tell. It's not often, but maybe 2-3% of images. It's very strange. Meanwhile, the shot with the runner above is tack sharp to the corners.

EDIT: since I first wrote this post, I've decided to go ahead and do an exchange with B&H...requested RMA for exchange. We'll see if the replacement works better.

KatieInTexas
Total Posts: 1229

Well, here's some 18-55 shots for ya... as I just got this lens in today. Slapped it on and ran out back to snap some test shots of the kiddos. Processed these vintagey as dirty kids on a Spring afternoon outside my 100+ year old house just feels vintage (actually I feel vintage).

Rob Chisholm
Total Posts: 318

Some recent shots... Just getting to know the camera but I love it! I used to shoot a M9 - and loved the images - but it just wasn't perfect for me... Tried to go back to dSLR and I found out, for me, it was no fun at all. I didn't take a photo in 4-6 months. Then I saw the X-E1 and I am hooked. The only drawback is the cropped sensor but I am adjusting. I am shooting the zoom and the 35, plus I just got an old manual focus Nikon 55 1.2 which is stellar on the camera for portraits. I plan on buying the Zeiss 12 when is comes out, hopefully soon. 18mm and pretty fast should be fantastic. I do not think the 14 is quite wide enough... I wish Fuji would hurry on their lineup a bit as I would like the 56 (the Nikon 55 1.2 is good, but the autofocus is nice to have).

These are all processed in PS and Exposure.

justruss
Total Posts: 6523

Jman13 wrote:
18-55:

Jordan-- that's got to be one of your strongest shots. Great composition and timing. And I like the B/W conversion in the bottom half of the image. Clouds/sky feel overworked to me, and distract from the heart of the image.

Great stuff!

Happy to have this thread to keep me entertained. I've been more or less knocked over with a 2 week flu thing that feels like it's finally about to give in. Terrible to be unable to shoot.

ceder
Total Posts: 299

Welcome Rob! Very nice images, especially like No.4! Keep them coming!

ceder
Total Posts: 299

Another one from Milan...

The talker by c e d e r, on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro1 with XF 35/1.4 @1.4

Rob_O
Total Posts: 415

Walked 25km around London yesterday with the X-E1, three lenses, a gorillapod, and a variable ND filter. Purpose was to see how this kit did for city/street/travel type stuff (where I'd normally carry my 5D3 and equivalent L glass). The light was terrible (sky just a blanket of white most of the time) and it was freezing, which is why I spent more time walking than stopping for photos. Better weather to come, so hopefully I can get out again this weekend.

Took around 100 shots. AF continues to be the biggest weak point. Surprised by the barrel distortion at the wide end on the 18-55; the 14 has literally none. IQ continues to impress. Love the size/weight.

Not sure what this is supposed to be, but I like the colours and textures

Fuji 35 f/1.4 @ f/8, 1/ 50 sec, ISO 640 (auto)

Bangers at Borough Market

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ f/8, 1/ 30 sec, ISO 800 (auto)

The Shard. Definitely plan to come back when skies are better ... could do some cool shots from here. I'd wanted to use the 9-stop ND for a long exposure with the clouds passing overhead. Unfortunately, the clouds were like cotton, with no life at all.

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ f/6.4, 1/ 180 sec, ISO 200

Love the dynamic range and detail in the X-E1's image files. This was processed from a RAW. The foreground was almost black in the shadows. Despite bringing that area up, there was very little resulting noise.

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ f/8, 1/ 30 sec, ISO 200

Some other building that was cool. Again ... better skies would be better.

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f8, 1/140 sec (+0.67EV), ISO 200

The infamous Lloyd's building. It's interesting and repulsive at the same time. Often referred to as the "inside-out building" since all ducting and plumbing shit is outside the skeletal structure. Another subject to photograph under better conditions.

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f8, 1/150 sec (+0.67EV), ISO 200

Standard shot from inside the British Musuem. 14mm (21mm) still isn't wide enough. Really need a fisheye to capture this place.

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ f/8, 1/ 30 sec, ISO 320 (auto)

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ f/8, 1/ 30 sec, ISO 200 (auto)

Always interesting stuff in China Town...

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f8, 1/30 sec, ISO 800 (auto)

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f3.2, 1/40 sec, ISO 200 (auto)

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f4, 1/30 sec, ISO 400 (auto)

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f6.4, 1/50 sec, ISO 200 (auto)

Hard to wander 'round London and not shoot a call box

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f5, 1/150 sec, ISO 200 (auto)

Trafalgar to Westminster (stupid weather!)

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f6.4, 1/50 sec, ISO 200 (auto)

Street photography is a whole different animal. I need to push myself harder to get outside the comfort zone. So many interesting people, just not enough balls to photograph them at close range.

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f5.6, 1/480 sec, ISO 800 (auto)

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f8, 1/30 sec, ISO 200 (auto)

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 @ f5.6, 1/30 sec, ISO 200 (auto)

Waterloo station ... 1.5 sec exposure, handheld

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ f/10, 1.5 sec, ISO 200

Rob Chisholm
Total Posts: 318

X-E1. With a Nikon 55mm f1.2 wide open.

allstarimaging
Total Posts: 2027

Hi ROB_O.
Thanks for taking the time to post up all of those shots. Great variety of shots for a walk around town. I've just had my XE-1 and Fuji 35 1.4 for a few days but as stated in all the reviews I am blown away by the colors and how good the jpegs are. Taking a trip next week and I'm leaving the Nikon at home and taking the Fuji XE-1, 35 1.4 and a rental I reserved of the Fuji 14 2.8. Really looking forward to doing some light wieght shooting.

Also, really liking using the exposure comp dial to quickly adjust exposure and being able to immediately see the results in the view finder. Electing to over or under expose on the fly is nice. These three quick grabs are pretty much right out of the camera except for web sharpening and resize.

Jack

ssnap
Total Posts: 459

Today my son turned three so we took him to the Indianapolis Children's Museum. He had a blast and it was packed thanks to Spring Break. This was taken with the X-Pro 1 & 18mm f/2 @ f/2.

DSCF8832 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

ddjohns1
Total Posts: 50

My first time using Nik Silver Efex Pro. Fuji X-E1, 18-55 @ 55mm f/8

Camtography
Total Posts: 52

I really enjoy B&W photos, especially in dark situations

Thompson Highway by Camtography, on Flickr

This was my first time using the lens in Aperture Priority mode and Auto-ISO.

AbramG
Total Posts: 2898

Gah this thread really makes me want to finally make the switch to this system.
I am so over DSLRs. The only thing holding me to my 5D2s is video, which I've been doing more and more of.

I need to give this some serious thought.
Really wonderful work in here though everyone, very inspirational!

justruss
Total Posts: 6523

AbramG wrote:
I am so over DSLRs. The only thing holding me to my 5D2s is video, which I've been doing more and more of.

Definitely TRY the X-system before dumping your DSLR. It can do a lot of what the DSLR can do, and it can do some things better. But it can't replace a DSLR for everyone.

And using the system is definitely different.

Rob_O
Total Posts: 415

AbramG wrote:

Agree with justruss above: The X-E1 is *NOT* a replacement for a DSLR for most. It's a different kind of camera, with a different intent. In it's current form, it's complimentary to other systems (DSLR, P&S, whatever). It's a 'deliberate' camera (as is often described) which begs the user to learn it's idiosyncrasies, and to shoot with it the way it was designed to be used. Modern DSLRs are continually "improved" to the lowest common denominator, evolving into the photographic equivalent of an appliance. The Fuji forces you to work harder ... and the image quality it delivers is the reward.

Note that I've been shooting Canon DSLRs as my main tool since 2003, and currently own a 5D3 with all L lenses. While out shooting with the X-E1 this week, I found myself engaged in the process and loving every minute of using the Fuji. I wished, however, with nearly every push of the shutter that the 5D3's guts and performance were embodied in the X-E1 experience.

All that said, if X100s improvements make their way to the X Pro 1 and X-E1 replacements -- as is widely expected -- and the lens roadmap pans out ... then the interchangeable-lens X system bodies will be closer to a true DSLR substitute for many.

JulesBeland
Total Posts: 46

Simply love the XE-1, simply a photographers camera,

1       2       3              72      
       74              577       578       end