Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/166

1       2       3              166      
       168              322       323       end

W.T. Jones
Total Posts: 151

twelveish,

Nice shots of Maine, the coast is one of my favorite places to wonder. That bridge is the recently completed Memorial Bridge, it replaced the lift span bridge built in 1923. Interesting fact: The lady who cut the ribbon for the original dedication ceremony in 1923 was a young woman or maybe even a teenage girl, This past summer when they dedicated the new bridge the same lady who is now 93 cut the ribbon…again.

marko1953
Total Posts: 635

Fujifilm X-E1 , 18-55 lens. ISO 800, pop up flash.

twelveish
Total Posts: 105

W.T. Jones: Oh wow, I had no idea. Thanks for that! I just liked the look of it, and in all honesty... the lobster restaurant on the other side of the bridge may have been part of the reason for the hurrying across it instead of reading up on the info that I'm sure was available on a sign somewhere.

Maine is amazing. My first visit, but it won't be the last.

Jman13
Total Posts: 10701

W.T. Jones wrote:

twelveish,

Nice shots of Maine, the coast is one of my favorite places to wonder. That bridge is the recently completed Memorial Bridge, it replaced the lift span bridge built in 1923. Interesting fact: The lady who cut the ribbon for the original dedication ceremony in 1923 was a young woman or maybe even a teenage girl, This past summer when they dedicated the new bridge the same lady who is now 93 cut the ribbon…again.

Well, if she's 93 now and cut the first ribbon in 1923, then she was 3 years old when she cut it the first time. Probably being held by her parents.

Jman13

twelveish wrote:
A lot of good work in here as usual. I picked up the Bower 8mm fisheye in NYC myself in August but didn't get to use it much before we moved on. My backlog for editing is so bad at the moment that I am just getting to the photos from the road trip that followed. Here's a shot from Bar Harbor, Maine, one from (the drive up to) Cadillac Mountain and a bridge in Kittery that caught my attention.

XF35

This first shot is stunning. Great work!

Rob_O
Total Posts: 402

jonrock wrote:
Rob_O wrote:
This arrived today. I've transferred my AA strap and lensmate thumb rest from the X-E1, as well as dialled in camera settings, assigned functions to Fn buttons, etc. Can't wait to start shooting with

Rob_O, what's your first impressions of the X-E2? I like the IQ I'm getting from my X-E1 but I just wish the AF was a bit faster.

I've only taken a handful of shots so far, and all of those pretty much "forced" in the name of using it just because. Until I get out and use it like I have my X-E1 -- i.e., travel, street, etc -- then it's hard to compare. My initial reaction is that the AF is indeed quicker, and feels somehow better mechanically when combined with triggering the shutter after locking on. Hard to describe. In low light it still seems to hunt, but not nearly as much as the X-E1. I've also only played with it using the 35 f/1.4, so it'll be interesting to see how the 14 and 18-55 perform.

Aside from AF performance, the X-E2 is a definite improvement in almost every way ... keeping the best of what made the X-E1 such a joy to use while addressing the majority of complaints/criticisms/customer wishes.

Rob_O

Used the X-E2 + 35 f/1.4 (tripod mounted) to take product shots for my X-E1 listing (on ebay (UK)).

As noted in my last reply seems every bit the stellar update it's been billed as. I've only taken a handful of shots with it so far, but AF is fast -- while also feeling somehow better, mechanically -- and the small changes all add up to make the X-E2 a near perfect body. The EC dial is much firmer, with precise "clicks" for each setting (now in 1/3 increments), the new screen is a HUGE improvement, the EVF exhibits almost zero lag, the new placement of the AF button means one-handed focus point adjustment (finally!), and so on. I love it. The only major let down thus far is removal of the dedicated View Mode button, then not having it available in the Q (quick) menu nor assignable to one of the four Fn buttons. Thankfully, that's something they can "fix" via firmware.

I'm really looking forward to travelling with this thing and getting some time behind the view finder.

Bye bye X-E1 ... I *loved* working with you these past few months.

Jman13

Rob - you do know that they moved the AF to the down arrow in previous X-E1 firmware upgrades, right?

I'm hoping my X-E2 is here soon. B&H may get their shipment today or tomorrow (they said they have it incoming), and I should have it the following day, so maybe tomorrow or Wednesday!

allstarimaging
Total Posts: 1866

more good stuff here as usual...had a few minutes to take the Xe-1 and 35 1.4 out in my backyard. The 35 1.4 bokeh and sharpness wide open are really great. Shot these in black and white and didn't do much to them.

Jack

Rob_O

Jman13 wrote:
Rob - you do know that they moved the AF to the down arrow in previous X-E1 firmware upgrades, right?

... no, I somehow missed that. After reading your post I had to go back and look at Fuji's release notes. I see now that was introduced back in ver 1.06!!! That's too funny; I *hated* having to use both hands for focus point selection and that'd have been nice to know.

W.T. Jones
Total Posts: 151

Jman13 wrote:

Well, if she's 93 now and cut the first ribbon in 1923, then she was 3 years old when she cut it the first time. Probably being held by her parents.

Right you are Jman, I screwd that up. she is actually 95. Nope it was her, she was 5. I should not reply to threads at O dark thirty and rely on my not so great memory.

Here is a quote from the seacoast news: describing the events of the day. "Their walk ended where, just a short time later, a frail but smiling Eileen Foley, a beloved former mayor of Portsmouth, officially cut the ribbon to symbolically open the bridge. Now 95, she was just 5 years old on that long-ago day in August 1923, when she cut the ribbon for the first Memorial Bridge".

Here is a link to the story http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130808-NEWS-130809747

alba63
Total Posts: 551

marko1953 wrote:

Wow, it is not visible, looks very natural - I should start using it for portraits! Did you redirect it upwards, or direct?

Bernie

michael49
Total Posts: 5437

First frost.....
XE-1, 18-55....

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3006

Starting to get a handle on the Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58 with the X-E1. Basic conversion in LR5.2. Available light (which wasn't much) ISO 6400.

My wife seeing something silly online (she is lit by her laptop screen)

_DSF3641 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

marko1953
Total Posts: 635

alba63 wrote:
marko1953 wrote:

Wow, it is not visible, looks very natural - I should start using it for portraits! Did you redirect it upwards, or direct?

Bernie

Flash was direct not bounced. The original shot was underexposed due to the strong backlighting. In other portraits I have found the flash to be subtle , not too obvious. You can always dial it down as well.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3006

One more for tonight... Taken with the X-E1 and Nikkor 50/1.4 K @ f/4 and processed in LR5.2

_DSF3679 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

cputeq
Total Posts: 4719

alba63 wrote:
marko1953 wrote:

Bernie

XE-1 has a great fill flash - I've used it on several military retirements, dialed down, and it's awesome and usually hard to tell it was even used.

ddjohns1
Total Posts: 33

XE-1 has a great fill flash - I've used it on several military retirements, dialed down, and it's awesome and usually hard to tell it was even used.

I have struggled with fill flash on the XE1-- the manual adjustment only allows for +/- 2/3rds. (I'm not sure what the number means- if that means stops or %?). I would like to have greater control of the flash output than I'm getting. Sometimes you need just a "puff" of light, and I don't see how to do that on the XE1. If you have a technique please let me know!

Rob_O

I agree the X-E1 flash works fairly well for fill in a pinch. I kept mine set to -2/3 FC by default, and have my X-E2 set to -1 for now.

X-E2 (with 35 f/1.4) using fill in a backlit scene ...

Holidaybucks by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

Oldraven
Total Posts: 403

X-E1 & CV 50 f/1.5 VM

1       2       3              166      
       168              322       323       end