Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/165

1       2       3              165      
       167              578       579       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

Great color and nice job defishing the 8mm. I always struggled with that a little bit with the Nikon 10.5. Good preparation is key in defishing a lens. You did it splendidly.

Rob_O
Total Posts: 415

sertsa wrote:
Hey Rob_O,

Just picked up the Samyang 8mm fish and am headed to NYC next week with an X-E1. Nice shots.

Has anybody ever messed with defishing this combo. Couldn't swing the 14mm just now, so thought I'd mess with the fisheye as is and also shoot with a thought towards maybe getting some corrected wideangle shots.

I have the 14 as well. Spectacular lens ... but not quite wide enough. I've been tempted to buy the 12mm Zeiss, but think I'll just wait to pick up the 10-24 XF when it finally releases.

Here are a few from our hotel terrace using the 14 f/2.8:

sertsa
Total Posts: 83

Thanks Jman. Grew up in N OH, and am OSU alum, enjoy your shots of that part of the country.

So what are the broad strokes of de-fishing? What is involved in "Good preparation is key in defishing a lens"? You must shoot with defishing in mind? What software works well?

I guess like any wide keeping it level and straight ahead (not pointed up or down) seems to minimize the effect in some cases.

Tim

X-E1, Bower 8mm fish

kwoodard

I use DxO to defish images. Just like keeping composition in mind for a normal fisheye shot, the same holds for images that you will defish later. With DxO, you seem to lose about 21% of the image when you do this (while retaining quality). If you can live with soft edges and some distortion, then you won't really lose much.

This is an example of a defished shot with the Nikon 10.5mm. The outer 20+% was "funky" after being defished because of compression in some areas and stretching in others.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwoodard/9888972326/

absolutic
Total Posts: 2229

Alexey011
Total Posts: 61

X-E1 18-55

jonrock
Total Posts: 560

Rob_O wrote:
This arrived today. I've transferred my AA strap and lensmate thumb rest from the X-E1, as well as dialled in camera settings, assigned functions to Fn buttons, etc. Can't wait to start shooting with

Rob_O, what's your first impressions of the X-E2? I like the IQ I'm getting from my X-E1 but I just wish the AF was a bit faster.

kwoodard

Still learning the Fuji X-E1, this time with the Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58. The adapter I am using is an old design, with rediculously shiny black paint inside, so I think some of the contrast has been lost. I do like the bokeh it produces.

_DSF3693 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

kwoodard

A different 50, the Nikkor 50/1.4 K, on the Fuji X-E1. I enjoy how it renders color with the Fuji. Processed ever-so-slightly in LR 5.2.

_DSF3680 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

twelveish
Total Posts: 159

A lot of good work in here as usual. I picked up the Bower 8mm fisheye in NYC myself in August but didn't get to use it much before we moved on. My backlog for editing is so bad at the moment that I am just getting to the photos from the road trip that followed. Here's a shot from Bar Harbor, Maine, one from (the drive up to) Cadillac Mountain and a bridge in Kittery that caught my attention.

XF35

XF1855

RSSmith
Total Posts: 425

20131109 a097 by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20131109 a125b by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

W.T. Jones
Total Posts: 177

twelveish,

Nice shots of Maine, the coast is one of my favorite places to wonder. That bridge is the recently completed Memorial Bridge, it replaced the lift span bridge built in 1923. Interesting fact: The lady who cut the ribbon for the original dedication ceremony in 1923 was a young woman or maybe even a teenage girl, This past summer when they dedicated the new bridge the same lady who is now 93 cut the ribbon…again.

marko1953
Total Posts: 690

Fujifilm X-E1 , 18-55 lens. ISO 800, pop up flash.

twelveish
Total Posts: 159

W.T. Jones: Oh wow, I had no idea. Thanks for that! I just liked the look of it, and in all honesty... the lobster restaurant on the other side of the bridge may have been part of the reason for the hurrying across it instead of reading up on the info that I'm sure was available on a sign somewhere.

Maine is amazing. My first visit, but it won't be the last.

Jman13
Total Posts: 13007

W.T. Jones wrote:

twelveish,

Nice shots of Maine, the coast is one of my favorite places to wonder. That bridge is the recently completed Memorial Bridge, it replaced the lift span bridge built in 1923. Interesting fact: The lady who cut the ribbon for the original dedication ceremony in 1923 was a young woman or maybe even a teenage girl, This past summer when they dedicated the new bridge the same lady who is now 93 cut the ribbon…again.

Well, if she's 93 now and cut the first ribbon in 1923, then she was 3 years old when she cut it the first time. Probably being held by her parents.

Jman13

twelveish wrote:
A lot of good work in here as usual. I picked up the Bower 8mm fisheye in NYC myself in August but didn't get to use it much before we moved on. My backlog for editing is so bad at the moment that I am just getting to the photos from the road trip that followed. Here's a shot from Bar Harbor, Maine, one from (the drive up to) Cadillac Mountain and a bridge in Kittery that caught my attention.

XF35

This first shot is stunning. Great work!

Rob_O

jonrock wrote:
Rob_O wrote:
This arrived today. I've transferred my AA strap and lensmate thumb rest from the X-E1, as well as dialled in camera settings, assigned functions to Fn buttons, etc. Can't wait to start shooting with

Rob_O, what's your first impressions of the X-E2? I like the IQ I'm getting from my X-E1 but I just wish the AF was a bit faster.

I've only taken a handful of shots so far, and all of those pretty much "forced" in the name of using it just because. Until I get out and use it like I have my X-E1 -- i.e., travel, street, etc -- then it's hard to compare. My initial reaction is that the AF is indeed quicker, and feels somehow better mechanically when combined with triggering the shutter after locking on. Hard to describe. In low light it still seems to hunt, but not nearly as much as the X-E1. I've also only played with it using the 35 f/1.4, so it'll be interesting to see how the 14 and 18-55 perform.

Aside from AF performance, the X-E2 is a definite improvement in almost every way ... keeping the best of what made the X-E1 such a joy to use while addressing the majority of complaints/criticisms/customer wishes.

Rob_O

Used the X-E2 + 35 f/1.4 (tripod mounted) to take product shots for my X-E1 listing (on ebay (UK)).

As noted in my last reply seems every bit the stellar update it's been billed as. I've only taken a handful of shots with it so far, but AF is fast -- while also feeling somehow better, mechanically -- and the small changes all add up to make the X-E2 a near perfect body. The EC dial is much firmer, with precise "clicks" for each setting (now in 1/3 increments), the new screen is a HUGE improvement, the EVF exhibits almost zero lag, the new placement of the AF button means one-handed focus point adjustment (finally!), and so on. I love it. The only major let down thus far is removal of the dedicated View Mode button, then not having it available in the Q (quick) menu nor assignable to one of the four Fn buttons. Thankfully, that's something they can "fix" via firmware.

I'm really looking forward to travelling with this thing and getting some time behind the view finder.

Bye bye X-E1 ... I *loved* working with you these past few months.

Jman13

Rob - you do know that they moved the AF to the down arrow in previous X-E1 firmware upgrades, right?

I'm hoping my X-E2 is here soon. B&H may get their shipment today or tomorrow (they said they have it incoming), and I should have it the following day, so maybe tomorrow or Wednesday!

allstarimaging
Total Posts: 2027

more good stuff here as usual...had a few minutes to take the Xe-1 and 35 1.4 out in my backyard. The 35 1.4 bokeh and sharpness wide open are really great. Shot these in black and white and didn't do much to them.

Jack

1       2       3              165      
       167              578       579       end