144              297       298       end

Spyro P.
Total Posts: 2822

I bought the 55-200 yesterday and took it to the park for testing
Found this little show off:

fotografur
Total Posts: 4426

Rob_O wrote:
Sun made a rare appearence here in the UK last weekend, so I forced myself out of bed at 3:30am Easter Sunday to make a 2.5 hour drive down to the coast. Unfortunately, it was actually 4:30am, because the clocks moved forward that night and mine weren't yet changed ... meaning I arrived an hour later than I'd have liked. Still, I was greeted with a beautiful morning.

I used the X-E1 and Fujinon 14mm f/2.8 to sort of document the day's travels, and my 5D3 for some long exposure landscape work. The 14 had a Hoya vari ND mounted as well (at 2-3 stops most of the day) .

]

Just got around to page 73 on this thread. Beautiful series Rob!

RSSmith
Total Posts: 301

Las Vegas
X-E1 + XF35/1.4

20130831 a091b by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

johnahill
Total Posts: 2470

I bought a timer release the other day and was trying to figure out how to get exposures longer than 30s on the XE-1.

I read somewhere online that the aperture ring need to be set to anything other than 'A'mode otherwise it's set to 30s max even if you put it in bulb mode. So I made sure the aperture was set to 16 but could still get no longer than 30s.

I read the manual and it didn't help.

I finally figured it out - the camera was set to burst mode (in the 'drive' button menu), set that back to single shot and bingo.

Just wanted to share this here in case anyone else is/was struggling with >30s exposures.

BTW my timer is some sort of generic no brand made in China thing, works great, now just need some time to go out and get shooting with it.

AbramG
Total Posts: 2441

Seen Better Days. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

One from a few months ago.

X-Pro 1 w. XF 35mm

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1756

Hmm I must say that I don't like the 18-55.
I'm a prime lens user (sold my zoom lenses years ago), but when I heard all the praise for the Fuji 18-55 I decided to give it a try so I got the X-E1 kit. My results are very inconsistent. The thing has some nasty field curvature.
I now see that more people noticed it.
Focus-recompose is a drama. Focus can be completely off. Sometimes it can be sharp all over the frame, I guess depending on what you focused.
It doesn't seem to be decentered (like a few other lenses that I got, also an XF 14mm), because there's no asymmetry between the edges.
The lens might be loved by many... but I'm certainly not one of those.

AbramG
Total Posts: 2441

Yeah I am not the biggest fan of zoom lenses either. I'm plenty happy with my 18/35mm prime combo.

Jochenb

The 18-55 also has strong distortion. In Iridient Developer you can turn off the correction that's embedded in the RAW file (you can't in Lightroom). Maybe this strong -varying along the zoom range- distortion makes the field curvature less predictable.

Jman13
Total Posts: 10453

While optically and build wise the 18-55 is notably better, I actually much prefer the Fuji XC 16-50. The wider view and lighter weight make it nice and easy to carry for an all around. I feel constricted by a standard zoom with a 28mm equiv wide end.

mgutman
Total Posts: 221

Jochenb wrote:
Hmm I must say that I don't like the 18-55.
I'm a prime lens user (sold my zoom lenses years ago), but when I heard all the praise for the Fuji 18-55 I decided to give it a try so I got the X-E1 kit. My results are very inconsistent. The thing has some nasty field curvature.
I now see that more people noticed it.
Focus-recompose is a drama. Focus can be completely off. Sometimes it can be sharp all over the frame, I guess depending on what you focused.
It doesn't seem to be decentered (like a few other lenses that I got, also an XF 14mm), because there's no asymmetry between the edges.
The lens might be loved by many... but I'm certainly not one of those.

You may have received a bad copy. Swap it if you can and try again. You should be able to get very decent results from it.

Good luck...

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 526

AbramG, very nice!

Three more with the XF14

marko1953
Total Posts: 625

Jochenb wrote:
The 18-55 also has strong distortion. In Iridient Developer you can turn off the correction that's embedded in the RAW file (you can't in Lightroom). Maybe this strong -varying along the zoom range- distortion makes the field curvature less predictable.

Ken Rockwell says this about the 18-55
"Distortion as shot on the X-E1 is completely invisible, except for moderate to minor pincushion distortion at 23mm, whoo hoo! (I'm pretty sure that the X-E1 is correcting this automatically.)"

Photographyblog.com review says this
"At the wider end, the Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS has some barrel distortion, as you can see in the photo above, but it's no worse than you would expect from a 27mm lens."

Ephotozine says this
"Just over 0.2% barrel distortion is present throughout the zoom range. Not only is this remarkably consistent performance for a zoom lens, but the level is so low that it will be very difficult to spot."

Imagingresource says this
"Geometric Distortion
Low geometric distortion with the 18-55mm kit lens in JPEGs, though strong distortion in uncorrected raw files.
When shooting JPEGs, the Fuji X-E1's 18-55mm kit lens produces about 0.3 percent barrel distortion at wide angle, which is much less than average and just slightly noticeable in its images. It isn't very symmetrical though. Pincushion distortion at full telephoto is just over 0.1 percent, also much lower-than-average and hardly noticeable. This is the tendency for the lens to bend straight lines outward (like a barrel -- usually at wide-angle). The Fuji X-E1 compensates for most distortion, though. "

My conclusion is that there is some distortion, but that the lens does very well compared to other zooms. It is almost as good as some primes. The camera corrects some of the distortion automatically with jpg shooting.

Jochenb

Marko, most of those reviews are based on the jpegs and standard RAW conversion. Those are indeed quite good. However: Fuji already corrects distortion in the RAW file. With some RAW converters you can turn this off to show the REAL optical distortion of a lens. With the 14 and 35mm there's no (or hardly any) difference. Those are well corrected lenses. Different story with the 18-55.
I found a review that shows what I mean:
Photozone

"However, it is still interesting to check the original distortion characteristic - after all the auto-correction is a lossy procedure.
The Fujinon shows a rather massive amount of barrel distortion at the short end"

It's not a big deal (because the RAW converters correct it automatically), I was just wondering if this can have any effect on the field curvature. I think not, because most of the strange behavior is at 55mm.

I see that Lloyd Chambers also said something about it:
"This XF 18-55mm is a strong performer, but with a highly unusual behavior at 55mm."

*Edit: The strange behavior of this lens can also be caused by the IS.
example
I'll shut up now and do some more tests.

Rob_O
Total Posts: 402

fotografur wrote:
Rob_O wrote:
Sun made a rare appearence here in the UK last weekend ...

]

Just got around to page 73 on this thread. Beautiful series Rob!

Thanks!

mco_970
Total Posts: 5288

Spyro - nice catch on the duck!

And Xavier - really like the red berry bush image. Nice!!

georgesaad
Total Posts: 94

What's the best way to post images on this thread (for best quality)?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15290

Host your image somewhere which doesn't compress it, and post a link.

doowop42
Total Posts: 270

Taken with XE-1 and 18-55mm zoom

georgesaad
Total Posts: 94

Soft whispers in the early morning by george saad, on Flickr

jtchuk
Total Posts: 31

X-Pro1 and 35mm:

1       2       3              142      
       144              297       298       end