Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/128

1       2       3              128      
       130              341       342       end

justruss
Total Posts: 4554

I think the latest firmware has made a significant difference with my 35mm, yes. But I have not tested it objectively.

Helena: That's not to say I don't like your RX1 shots. They're great too! But I get a different feeling, on the whole, between your two sets. It could entirely be focal length as much as anything else. And interestingly... I prefer people to landscape.

Jordan... it's Russ. Just, Russ.

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1247

Jochen and Russ, yes always interesting to see how much people's opinions differs. No right or wrong, and this is a big part of the charm with photography.

I haven't installed the newest firmware yet, but will try and get to it next week or so.

Since this is a picture thread. Stitch from two photos using X-E1 and 14mm:

Hitra island by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3046

great shot, Helena, as usual....

HelenaN

Thank you!

itai195
Total Posts: 1209

RX1 or X-E1, you're doing great work regardless of which camera you're using, Helena! That's a mark of some real talent.

HelenaN

Not sure what to answer, so I'll just say Thank you!
We'll be off on a mini vacation across the border to Sweden soon. Hopefully I'll have some photos to share afterwards.

Rob_O
Total Posts: 402

On the discussion of the X-trans and B&W treatment, here are three from a recent trip to Vienna ...

Rokinon 8mm fisheye at f/8 (I think) - ISO 200, 1/200 sec

Taking in the sights by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

35 at f/1.4 - ISO 400, 1/320sec

Audience of one by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

18-55 at f/2.8 - ISO 200, 1/210sec

Cinquecento in Wien ... by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

sebboh
Total Posts: 10762

Jochenb wrote:
Interesting discussion, because I like your RX1 images better Helena (not only from a technical point of view). A 21mm equivalent is indeed very different than 35mm.
Good to hear you love your X-E1 so much. I can only agree that the Fuji is more fun to use than the RX1. It's about the built-in viewfinder and perfect user interface.

just to add my 2 cents, i prefer helena's rx1 shots as well (though her shots with both cameras are inspiring). the reason has nothing to do with the cameras and processing though. i just don't like ultrawide angle perspective much.

itai195
Total Posts: 1209

Jochenb wrote:
Is anyone of you already using the 27 pancake?

I've had mine since last week and it seems like a very nice little lens. I like it much better than the 18mm so far—in addition to smaller size, it has much less CA and seems sharper at every aperture. It's quite a bit smaller than I thought it'd be. I expected something the size of a Panny 20mm, but it's noticeably smaller than that lens. I don't have much work to show for it yet, mostly just some family snaps, which is actually what I bought it for. The 40mm-equivalent focal length is one of my favorites, just a touch less wide than 35mm, and useful for a lot of types of shots. Here's a quick example, the little one in the sink again:

michael49
Total Posts: 5480

Rob_O wrote:
On the discussion of the X-trans and B&W treatment, here are three from a recent trip to Vienna ...

Rokinon 8mm fisheye at f/8 (I think) - ISO 200, 1/200 sec

Love this one.

michael49

Anyone using both the X100/100s and the X-E1/Pro1? I'm really dying for a 35mm perspective (prime) and trying to patiently await the 23mm, but I keep thinking about picking up an X100/100s.

X-E1, 35mm....

Elusivesouls
Total Posts: 48

New to the forum. I've just read through all 129 pages and am floored by the wonderful captures by you guys and the Fuji cameras.

Alas, I'm attempting to join the X-E1 owner ranks (own a 5DMK3 but want the X-E1 as a viable portable option) but have not had much luck getting one without issue.

The first one had a dead pixel. No big deal but decided to swap it out.

The second one had a strange issue where if you changed a setting and then used the flash, it would restart and the film simulation settings would become grayed out.
-I called the Fuji technical support on this one and got in touch with a technician who said he's never heard of that happening but if the film simulation option was doing that after restarting it meant an imminent failure of the main board.

The third one I ordered from a different vendor - supposed to be new in box - instead it loads straight up and doesn't ask for the language input. It has ink writing on the rubber around the view finder. It looks roughly repackaged.
-I notify the retailer and they offer to exchange it or refund. I take the full refund option after reading that this has happened before to other people who shopped there.

Now I'm waiting on a fourth X-E1 and hoping this one will be the one. I ordered it with the kit 18-55mm and I have a 35mm 1.4 waiting for a camera body to be used on...

Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute some pictures rather than my string of bad luck.

fotografur
Total Posts: 4512

Rob_O wrote:

35 at f/1.4 - ISO 400, 1/320sec

Audience of one by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

A+

Jman13
Total Posts: 10870

Elusivesouls wrote:
New to the forum. I've just read through all 129 pages and am floored by the wonderful captures by you guys and the Fuji cameras.

Alas, I'm attempting to join the X-E1 owner ranks (own a 5DMK3 but want the X-E1 as a viable portable option) but have not had much luck getting one without issue.

The second one had a strange issue where if you changed a setting and then used the flash, it would restart and the film simulation settings would become grayed out.
-I called the Fuji technical support on this one and got in touch with a technician who said he's never heard of that happening but if the film simulation option was doing that after restarting it meant an imminent failure of the main board.

The third one I ordered from a different vendor - supposed to be new in box - instead it loads straight up and doesn't ask for the language input. It has ink writing on the rubber around the view finder. It looks roughly repackaged.
-I notify the retailer and they offer to exchange it or refund. I take the full refund option after reading that this has happened before to other people who shopped there.

Now I'm waiting on a fourth X-E1 and hoping this one will be the one. I ordered it with the kit 18-55mm and I have a 35mm 1.4 waiting for a camera body to be used on...

Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute some pictures rather than my string of bad luck.

Wow, that is bad luck. Welcome to the forum! As long as you don't expect the Fuji to be as responsive as your 5D3, I think you'll love it. There's something that speaks to me with the Fuji stuff...hope to see your stuff here soon!

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1830

That second one is nice Rob!
Thanks Itai195, how's the AF speed and noise?

justruss
Total Posts: 4554

Elusivesouls wrote:

Tough string of events!

Here's an idea: Buy one from this forum. I just sold a literally brand new one (originally intended as a second body), never taken out of the box, for under $700. I see well-loved (that is, well used) ones in the sub-$600 range regularly. Pretty remarkable time to pick these up off the F/M boards, considering they're now at that 50% of release price zone in the used market... and for less than a new X-M1.

Rob_O
Total Posts: 402

A couple from Prague ...

X-E1 + 18-55 @ ISO 320, f/9, 1/30sec

Beautiful decay ... by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

X-E1 + 35 , ISO 200, f/1.4, 1/680sec

Two Hearts ... by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

802walker
Total Posts: 125

Fuji xe1 18-55

Elusivesouls
Total Posts: 48

Wow, that is bad luck. Welcome to the forum! As long as you don't expect the Fuji to be as responsive as your 5D3, I think you'll love it. There's something that speaks to me with the Fuji stuff...hope to see your stuff here soon!

Tough string of events!

Here's an idea: Buy one from this forum. I just sold a literally brand new one (originally intended as a second body), never taken out of the box, for under $700. I see well-loved (that is, well used) ones in the sub-$600 range regularly. Pretty remarkable time to pick these up off the F/M boards, considering they're now at that 50% of release price zone in the used market... and for less than a new X-M1.

Well, the fourth one came in tonight and it too has a dead pixel on the left hand side of the LCD and this time it shows up in the view finder as well. It does not show up in the pictures as far as I can tell but it's quite noticeable on both the back LCD and the view finder. The odd thing is when I press the shutter button it goes away as the camera focuses and then comes back before you take the picture. It's there the entire time you aren't holding the shutter button though.

I'm going to contact the vendor tomorrow and see what they want to do. This is 4 cameras. I feel like I'm being too picky but this is kind of ridiculous. Sigh. I almost feel like I should keep the used one from the other vendor even though I paid for NIB since at least as far as I can tell it works and doesn't have any pixel issues.

michael49

This lens really is impressive...

35mm @ f/1.4 on the X-E1.....

f/2....

1       2       3              128      
       130              341       342       end