Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/115

1       2       3              115      
       117              320       321       end

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1196

ebookman wrote:
HelenaN-- I really like your work both with the Fuji 14 and the RX1. I confess I am having a hard time distinguishing between them. You are making me pause as I consider an RX1. I know there is a big difference between focal lengths but I am curious. Are you seeing a big difference as a landscape photographer working with smaller apertures and RAW files?

Thank you! I'm probably not the right person to ask, because I'm not very demanding. If a file looks great on my 24" screen and decent when zoomed in, I'm happy. The Fuji files most certainly live up to that. Also, I have done a few relatively large prints and am very pleased with the result. There's no doubt that RX1 is even better though, but X-E1 files meet and exceed my "quality threshold".

HelenaN

Yesterday we visited Hegra fortress just north of Trondheim. It was originally built as part of the defense against the Swedes after the Union was dissolved in 1905. For three weeks in 1940 248 Norwegian soldiers and one woman used the fortress as a base for fighting the German occupants. Eventually the Germans managed to surround the fortress and the defenders had to give up because of lack of supplies.

Not much stuff is left in there, but there's no entrance fee so you can walk around without a guide, and it's wet and creepy, so it's still an interesting place for photography.

Red light by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Long tunnel by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Checkerboard by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Curved stairs by Helena Normark, on Flickr

you2
Total Posts: 741

Interesting pictures. They kind of remind me of Dover which I visited once a dozen years ago. I forget about these things - some what spoiled by current environment.

tkchen
Total Posts: 155

I am happy that I switch to Fuji X-E1 for wide and mid range.

These are from 35mm f1.4. Last one is iso3200 f2.8.

2013-fuji-11 by JasonKChen, on Flickr

2013-fuji-15 by JasonKChen, on Flickr

2013-fuji-18 by JasonKChen, on Flickr

xenor
Total Posts: 113

Stunning series Helena. Love those winding stairs.
The day lilies and liatris (and bugs!) are out. With SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8

HelenaN

Thank you you2 and xenor!

xenor, it's hard to see in a web sized photo of course, but it looks perfectly focused. Do find it difficult to MF with the Fuji? Which model do you have btw.?

Fverburg
Total Posts: 52

A few from today,

Regards,

Frank

dovey
Total Posts: 112

Focusing should be a lot better tomorrow, with the latest firmware. Already the firmware updates for the XE-1 have made it a more usable and friendly camera.

xenor
Total Posts: 113

Hi Helena. Yes, it is perfectly focused. I am using an X-E1 and I find manual focus to be very easy. I usually use the 10x magnifier. Since the last firmware update it is so easy to move the focus point that I just compose, set focus point, magnify, focus and shoot. It's pretty fast and very accurate. The hardest part of using MF lenses for me is remembering to tell the camera which focal length I'm using!

tjpenton
Total Posts: 275

I'm very sorry for the recent amount of posting, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around how amazing the OOC jpegs are! A slight crop, shadow lifting, and resizing for web was all it took to make me happy with these. Shot with an X-E1 and the 18-55 kit lens

ebookman
Total Posts: 700

tjpenton wrote:
I'm very sorry for the recent amount of posting, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around how amazing the OOC jpegs are! A slight crop, shadow lifting, and resizing for web was all it took to make me happy with these. Shot with an X-E1 and the 18-55 kit lens

This would be a pretty boring site without pictures. Don't apologize. There is plenty of commentary on technical issues but we learn a lot by observation After all it is a visual medium. I for one, wish people would post more larger images and explain their technique. I post on the NEX thread but learn a lot on this thread. Thanks for the pics!

cputeq
Total Posts: 4719

ebookman wrote:
tjpenton wrote:

This would be a pretty boring site without pictures. Don't apologize. There is plenty of commentary on technical issues but we learn a lot by observation After all it is a visual medium. I for one, wish people would post more larger images and explain their technique. I post on the NEX thread but learn a lot on this thread. Thanks for the pics!

Yeah nice pics and don't feel bad for posting - I mean, this *is* the Fuji photo thread

One from yesterday I think, my 5-yr-old was playing outside and starts yelling at everyone else outside "Look look look guys!"

I walk over and see these 6 jets just emerging from the clouds for a flyby over our home (too high up to tell what they were though).

xe1 and 18-55

Sun and contrails by J L Smith, on Flickr

tjpenton
Total Posts: 275

ebookman wrote:
tjpenton wrote:

Point taken. As for the process, these were shot RAW + Jpeg (Fine) with the velvia film simulation on. I loved the saturation in the jpegs straight from the camera so I used them over the raw. I sharpened a small amount for web viewing, resized the photos and lifted the shadows by roughly half a stop. Honestly this camera is a snap in well lit conditions with the jpegs being better OOC than my D600, though the nikon's raw files are still much more flexible

michael49
Total Posts: 5434

X-E1 & 35 1.4....

(this first one is ISO 1600, f/2 in quickly fading light)...

Nikkor 55mm f/3.5....

justruss
Total Posts: 4509

I really love the output from that Nikkor 55mm f/3.5.

Any shots of the camera with the lens mounted?

AbramG
Total Posts: 2462

I had a Pentax K to Fuji adapter already, and just picked up a 50mm f/1.7. I happen to already have this lens but I can't get it back from my sister! My fault for getting them into film photography. A reasonably fast 75ish mm lens will be a nice compliment to my 18/35 duo, plus the Pentax 50 is tiny so when it's on the adapter it's barely larger than the 35.

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 573

Two with the X-E1

CV15

XF 35

Alexey011
Total Posts: 47

fd 50/1.4 s.s.c.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1812

Michael, I really like that second shot!

dmward
Total Posts: 1838

Was walking about this morning, took my X-P-1, thought I'd get some images to use for creating B&W import presets.
I almost always shot B&W with my M4 and am thinking that's what I want with the XP-1 as well.
Used an HP+ preset on this then some work with the sliders to get the look I wanted. I'm happily surprised at how well I could pull the black up for detail after having to dial in -1EC on the camera to keep the slate roof tiles from blowing out in the sun.

To shoot something similar on an architectural assignment I'd be using a bracket.

Just starting to get a feel for the camera. Loving it. Especially at the price compared to a digital Leica.
18 F2

1       2       3              115      
       117              320       321       end