Cruising the Bosphorus

AbramG
Total Posts: 2441

A couple more, from Rome.

Untitled. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

Untitled. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

michael49
Total Posts: 5400

^ - nice series, that "soft" kitty shot is my favorite.

michael49

deadwolfbones wrote:
That Nikkor 55/3.5 is probably one of the best bargains going. Got mine for $90 and it's one of my go-tos. Nice work with it, Michael.

Thanks, I need to use it more.

michael49

X-E1, 18-55.....

AbramG
Total Posts: 2441

Without the trailer I'd have said this was a John Deere ad

umsl12
Total Posts: 222

Nice, Michael!

I have 18/55 too. It's a very nice lens!

cputeq
Total Posts: 4703

Been low on the photo-taking recently, here are a couple from today, crazy clouds

XE1, 18-55

Stormy Cotton Candy by J L Smith, on Flickr

Rider on the Storm by J L Smith, on Flickr

Rob_O
Total Posts: 402

Went to Santorini a couple weeks ago, leaving my 5D3 and L glass behind in favor of only the X-E1 gear ... a true test of whether the X system really could be a replacement for the DSLR when traveling. I took around 1300 photos over 6 days, and had 850 worth keeping after scrubbing upon return. I assembled a photo journal of our trip, along with some text, on another site. It contains 90 photos. I will post an assortment of those in this thread over the coming days.

I had with me the X-E1, 35 f/1.4 (not used), the 14 f/2.8 and 18-55 kit (which saw about 50/50 use) and a Samyang/Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye (used a handful of times). On the 14 and 18-55 I had a 9-stop vari-ND mounted most of the time, save for after dusk or indoors. (I also have a 3-stop ND for the 35, but didn't use it on this trip).

This one was taken using the 18-55 @ f/11, 55mm, 1/40 sec, ISO 200, handheld (IS on)

michael49

^ - Nice, looking forward to seeing more images from the trip. How did you like the variable ND filter? - I keep thinking about picking up one of these.

Oldraven
Total Posts: 389

First post here from long time lurker who is very grateful for the chance to study, learn from, and most of all simply enjoy the visual wealth contained in this thread. Sincere thanks to all the contributors.

These three were taken with my newly acquired X-E1 system on my first outing with it.

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1115

Great work everyone!
Rob, I look forward to see more and hear your thoughts about how the Fuji worked out for you.
Oldraven, Thor's Well must have been great to see in real life! Nice photo too.

Interesting weather yesterday evening, so I went on a little walk around home (X-E1 + Fuji 14mm). I had to severely underexpose to preserve the light from the sun, so I have lifted the shadows a lot (before processing large areas looked almost completely black). The camera handled it well. There is some noise, but it's mostly monochrome, so not too disturbing even in larger format. A few days ago I tested this against my old 5D and was shocked to see how much worse it is at lifting shadows. The noise looked like colorful Scottish tartan even at ISO 100, which made the photo unusable.

View from Ust towards Trondheim fjord by Helena Normark, on Flickr

cputeq
Total Posts: 4703

^ I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of your surroundings Nice shot, and yeah even with my 5D3 compared to the XE1 on shadows, the XE1 beat it. Of course, still love my 5D3

In other news, you're going to make me change my next lens from the Canon 100-400 to that damn 14mm.

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6396

Helena, what program are you using for your raw conversions?

Rob_O
Total Posts: 402

cputeq wrote:
In other news, you're going to make me change my next lens from the Canon 100-400 to that damn 14mm.

The 14 is a fantastic piece of glass, IMO. I love using it.

14mm, f/11, 1/170 sec, ISO 200, handheld, slight crop (to level it, so not full 14mm FOV)

HelenaN

cputeq wrote:
^ I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of your surroundings Nice shot, and yeah even with my 5D3 compared to the XE1 on shadows, the XE1 beat it. Of course, still love my 5D3

He he, thanks! Hope you will be happy with it. I really enjoy mine.

FlyPenFly wrote:
Helena, what program are you using for your raw conversions?

I use Lightroom 4.4.

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6396

I've been looking at the C1 vs Lightroom conversions, the C1 seems far better, did you never feel the need to switch?

Jman13
Total Posts: 10501

I have both Lightroom 5 and C1 Express 7. I use Lightroom for most work, even with the Fuji files, as it does a very nice job the majority of the time, and I much prefer the LR cataloging and workflow. I also much prefer the skin tones in Lightroom on the Xtrans files. However, in some cases, C1 does a much nicer job, so if the LR conversion is not up to snuff, I'll open it up in C1 and do the conversion there. For landscape and architecture shots it does a very nice job.

HelenaN

FlyPenFly wrote:
I've been looking at the C1 vs Lightroom conversions, the C1 seems far better, did you never feel the need to switch?

So far I am happy with Lightroom, but I suspect my standards are lower than most people's here. I rarely look at the 100% size.

ypras
Total Posts: 55

Really nice photos in this thread!

Both with Voigtlander 75 1.8 heliar

Untitled by yprasoulis, on Flickr

Untitled by yprasoulis, on Flickr

1       2       3              112      
       114              301       302       end