Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/109

1       2       3              109      
       111              285       286       end

michael49
Total Posts: 5385

A few recent random images with the X-E1....

18-55....

35mm....

35mm.....

35mm....

FD 50 1.4....

justruss
Total Posts: 4309

AbramG wrote:
Off-topic but do you guys have any camera straps you like using with the fujis? I've been using my old Domke gripper (with the swivels) and it managed to scratch the hell out of my rear LCD.

Honestly, the best I've come up with is to make my own handstrap with a short, single length of paracord in olive green. It's just long enough to put my hand through and hold the camera with minimal tension. If I drop the camera, it hangs on my wrist.

I attached one of those triangular metal strap clips that came with the camera, ran the paracord through it so that the cord doesn't slip when I pull on one end, and then closed the loop with a sort of knot that is comfortable on the wrist. Something like 50 ft of paracord is $10. The strap probably used less than 12 inches. It's static breaking strength is around 550-lbs; a knot reduces this somewhat. The metal clip will blow out first.

With something this small, I prefer not to use a neck strap at all. The hand strap is mostly for peace of mind, if I drop the camera it's not going to fall. If I'm walking around and someone tried to grab it, they'd probably dislocate my shoulder before getting the camera. And the strap is just the right length to easily connect to my tripod as a form of insurance should the ballhead/QR fail.

It also looks pretty cool.

Guari
Total Posts: 1249

http://www.dsptch.com/#collections

These guys make great straps, it's all I use and I'm happy with those..

justruss

Guari wrote:

Or you can make those yourself for about $10 or less of materials.

For mine, I went with a single loop, since I didn't want that heavy strap braid-- and I didn't anticipate needing to undo the braid to use the pcord for emergency situations (I just carry pcord for most places that might require it).

Edit: I should clarify that I'm referring to the "wrist" straps on the page, which are made out of standard pcord and clips.

Guari
Total Posts: 1249

justruss wrote:
Guari wrote:

Or you can make those yourself for about $10 or less of materials.

For mine, I went with a single loop, since I didn't want that heavy strap braid-- and I didn't anticipate needing to undo the braid to use the pcord for emergency situations (I just carry pcord for most places that might require it).

Edit: I should clarify that I'm referring to the "wrist" straps on the page, which are made out of standard pcord and clips.

Sure. But then I'm a klutz with handmade projects, so I'd rather pay for it than losing my time at a poor attempt

anyhow, what I use from them is their slings. I don't like having the weight only on my neck, so this helps a lot.

And there is no metal to scratch your camera

corposant
Total Posts: 2774

Guari wrote:

I prefer Gordy's: http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com

AbramG
Total Posts: 2436

I've had Gordy's straps before. I like wrist straps on really small cameras, something like the Ricoh GR, but the X-Pro 1 to me still has enough girth to warrant hanging over my shoulder. Especially if I'm shooting another camera along with it. (I get crazy sometimes).

I'm all for DIY options, and while I may not be the most adept at making things, if I have good instructions I can do just about anything.

On every other camera I use a strap with I have a Wapiti strap but I though it might have been TOO much for the lightweight X-pro 1. I'm also surely not about to go pay the ludicrous asking prices for fancy straps like A&A as well as other similar options.

I will look into the paracord route as well, perhaps I can get creative. Thanks friends!

Alexey011
Total Posts: 39

50/1.4s.s.c.

itai195
Total Posts: 1162

Re: straps: For a wrist strap, I really like the Peak Design Cuff. It hits almost all the high points for me. Very easy quick release, easy to tuck away when not using it, and decent adjustability for length.

I don't like neck straps, I prefer slings. I have a few of Gordy's slings. They're well made and very nice. The only thing I'd prefer is that they were more easily collapsible when not in use. They're fairly rigid leather. I'd prefer something fabric, with an easy quick release, and that's easy to tuck away when I don't want to use it, but haven't found anything that hits those points yet. Peak Design has a strap they market as a sling, but it requires an additional plate to be installed on the bottom of the camera, so I'm not interested in it. Closest thing I've found to ideal for me is the sling off of a Black Rapid Snapr.

michael49
Total Posts: 5385

X-E1 with FD 50 1.4....

35 1.4....

Jman13
Total Posts: 10320

X-E1 with Zeiss 12/2.8:

millsart
Total Posts: 4648

Grabbed a shoulder bag, mini tripod and a bunch of lens and was exciting to go off for a photo walk in the woods (with the Sony RX1 and Sigma DP2m in tow) but ended up getting just 1 shot off before another line of storms came through and it began raining hard enough that I felt I needed to get the gear out of the elements

On the plus side, not coming back with hundreds of images certainly saved me some time sitting at the PC processing them

corposant
Total Posts: 2774

A private moment

justruss

millsart wrote:
Grabbed a shoulder bag, mini tripod and a bunch of lens and was exciting to go off for a photo walk in the woods (with the Sony RX1 and Sigma DP2m in tow) but ended up getting just 1 shot off before another line of storms came through and it began raining hard enough that I felt I needed to get the gear out of the elements

On the plus side, not coming back with hundreds of images certainly saved me some time sitting at the PC processing them

Millsart: I'd love to hear your impressions on the three cameras relative to one another. Very interesting stuff.

dovey
Total Posts: 98

Millsart,
Which tripod do you use?
I have all three of those cameras and have been thinking about which is the most appropriate tripod for these lightweight cameras, esp when going trekking.

Jman13
Total Posts: 10320

Three from this morning. First, continuing the 'abandoned chair in an abandoned lot' series, the chair has now been partially ripped apart and stabbed: (X-E1 with 60/2.4)

And then the sky cleared, allowing for this shot with the Zeiss 12/2.8

cputeq
Total Posts: 4659

Some nice stuff Jman. Tout lens looks nice.

millsart
Total Posts: 4648

justruss wrote:

Millsart: I'd love to hear your impressions on the three cameras relative to one another. Very interesting stuff.

They are all very good cameras respectively yet also rather different.

DP2m as most already know has some fantastic resolution that exceeds what the other two are capable of but its also a very slow camera, has horrible battery life, poor at higher ISO, requires a special (though honestly not that bad of workflow) etc. Its pretty much a tripod camera (light one at that) landscape camera for me. The sheer resolution, fine detail/texture, and lightweight are a pretty unique combo. You could carry a D800 of course and do better, and have a better camera overall, but a Merrill is so much easier to hike with and used can be had for a mere $700 or so. Working from a tripod its a fun and unique imaging tool. I especially like it for pano's where the edge to edge sharpness and total lack of distortion make stitching a breeze. Never had any camera able to capture fine distant detail like the DP can either. Basically does one thing amazing well and kind of sucks for anything else lol

XE-1 and the X system in general is some great bang for the buck if you want a more traditional shooting experience. I had a XPro a while back and due to the recent rebates and interest in the 14mm lens, picked up the XE-1. The 14mm lens is very good, as its the 35mm. I also got the 18 and 60mm as they were just $300 each. Don't really use those as much but the 60mm is pretty good optically. I've found I use the 35mm more than the 14 though even though I bought the system for the wide angle....go figure.

AF is decent, if not a little slow at times, but accurate. EVF is also quite useable, though it does have a bit of lag. I much prefer the Sony EVF but it also cost more than 50% of the XE-1 cost alone so that does put things a bit into perspective. Rear LCD is a bit low rez and small compared to others but in actual use I don't find much issue with it. In some ways the X system can frustrate me though if I try to use it like I would a DSLR when doing event work. Its just a bit too slow of camera if your used to the instant response of a DSLR in terms of shutter lag, review times etc. Used in a more casual manner its a nice system but I feel its core genetics are a bit P&S based.

IQ is quite good from the APS-C sensor with good high ISO performance. Fuji color is always pleasing to the eye and the OOC jpegs are really useable. Sometimes I can see a little Xtrans weirdness in some bushes but as a whole I don't find it to be an issue. Overall look of the Fuji files is distinct and rather film like. The 35mm in particular has a really classic rendering and a touch of creamy softness wide open that reminds me of some pre asph Leica designs. I will say I can find the files to be a bit flat though unless your in really nice light.

RX1 is in a totally different price class (though used prices are making it more affordable) and its a quite unique shooting experience as well. Its got a world class Zeiss lens and an amazing FF sensor which together can be quite an exciting change from the likes of all the other aps-c mirrorless systems. The resolution, high iso performance and unique Zeiss rendering can have a real wow factor on some images. If your used to using some really good class on a D800 or 5D mkIII then its really not that unique of course, but if your used to a NEX6 or m4/3 with a kit zoom, then the tonality and subject isolation you can achieve while still having a wide FoV is pretty cool, but certainly comes at a price.

RX1 had a fantastic, though again, pricey, EVF that is hands down the best I've used to date and comes closest of anything to matching an OVF. No issues with lag and very accurate plus it tilts which I've found I really like to use in normal shooting. Overall the RX1, while having AF on par with the Fuji is a bit more responsive overall. No shutter lag, every button responses instantly for things like playback etc and the overall feel of the camera in hand is very solid, as is the feel of each metal button and such. Build quality does match the price point. RX1 is also a good bit smaller/lighter in actual feel around your neck than the specs might suggest. Its not pocketable per say but does slip into coat pockets and such far easier than the XE-1.

Obviously though your limited to 35mm (or tighter if you crop a little) so the XE-1 can fill different roles with more lens options and you can have a full system for less than the RX1 price. That is a huge consideration.

The 35mm 1.4 is the closest focal length match I've got to compare and both produce really nice images but also very different images. The Fuji can get a little shallower DoF overall as it is faster, but due to the crop tighter. Makes it a bit tough to do a real a/b comparison but overall what I think you find is that they are more so different than one being "better"

As I alluded to previously, its a bit more of a modern Zeiss look vs a pre-asph Leica look (not to suggest any XE-1 vs Leica debate). The RX1 files have tons of micro contrast, edge to edge sharpness, great tonality, and a really distinct Zeiss focal transition which gives that characteristic "pop". The Fuji files, with the 35mm at least, are a bit flatter and softer at the edges, especially wide open, with a more gentle rendering. Still very sharp in the center of course, but the overall transition of in to out of focus is just smoother and creamier. Modern vs classic.

In absolute terms the RX does have the advantage in higher ISO's, resolution etc, but in day to day shooting its really not that huge of difference. Both cameras can give you very good high ISO files. The RX is the better camera, but it should be given its price.

I find that I rather enjoy all 3 of them though and each have a use. I can't really say any one is better overall. For a specific purpose I have a preference of course but they all bring some unique benefits such as great landscape resolution, or ability to switch lenses or giving a FF dslr like file from a near p&s sizes package.

I wouldn't really call any of these images "better" as they are all just different and I do apologize for lack of better examples as I was planning on doing a bit more shooting with all the cameras prior to weather hitting but basically second I pulled out the camera the rain started so I did a quick shoot with each and had to pack it in. These aren't mean to be strict controlled examples either. My usual way of "testing" cameras is just to walk around and shoot with them, rather than try to get out the tripod and frame everything equiv etc. I just like to see what type of files they give me as situations present themselves and how the cameras handle, how the focal length works etc

Fuji w/ 35mm showing its very classical rendering

RX1 (shot at f5.6) showing its fantastic tonality

DP2m, giving the unique Foveon look and while not appreciable at web size, you can see pixel level detail of each and every little leaf/twig etc in the file
U

justruss

Great!

Delatant
Total Posts: 163

Loved the review! My complements!

1       2       3              109      
       111              285       286       end