Total Posts: 6528

CPU--- nice!

Well times long exposures?

cputeq
Total Posts: 6039

justruss wrote:
CPU--- nice!

Well times long exposures?

THanks. Just constantly shooting in Bulb mode with time estimates, usually I was sitting around f/8 and about 15-20 seconds.

These particular two were 10 seconds and 26 seconds.

AbramG
Total Posts: 2898

That is one thing I've never been able to capture properly (lightning), but I am always impressed to see it done well!

alba63
Total Posts: 733

glacierpete wrote:
I was really surprised how close these x-trans files are to the 65MB Merrils. The xe-1 seems to be a real great camera.

I had a look at the files (I have an X-E1 and the Nex-7), I really think that detail/ resolution is overrated, even with a normal converter or in JPEG I never had the feeling the Fuji has not enough detail. I tried the latest version of Irident converter (as a demo, I still have a 3 year old bought version) and while the detail of those file is brutal, it is also too gritty/ brittle for my taste. A normal converter like Silkypix has enough sharpness for my taste, and the Nex-7 has more of it without any special effort. It also has better DR than the Fuji...

Concerning detail, a regular 16MP file without specific optimization to squeeze out the last 2% is already enough to show small details. When you shoot let's say a landscape scenery, the question becomes then, how sharp and clear are single leafs (of the trees) rendered. A quite artificial question really because with my eyes I do not see those, and I must say the Merrill files quite unattractive to me, the image being at the border of pointillism.
What#s attractive to me in an image is the general "gestalt" of what's being shown, with light and shadow, and a sharp zone that has good detail. Depicting every singular leaf is not wishful to me, it detracts from the composition.

Cheers
bernie

justruss
Total Posts: 6528

A few long day-time exposures in B&W (X-E1 w/ 35mm, Aperture):

sebboh
Total Posts: 12608

really like #3 above!

millsart
Total Posts: 6117

As a Merrill owner, in addition to a Xe-1 owner, I'd have to disagree Bernie, and say that at least for me, when it comes to a landscape shot, I rather like capturing every last bit of detail, every leaf, every texture of bark, rocks etc.

Now of course you are right that when you look at a scene we don't see all that (especially me since I"m maybe 20/30 eyesight at best) but what is cool then about the Merrill, or really any very high resolution tool, such as a 4x5 field camera, is that you can capture those details and when printed at a decent size, it allows the viewer to see the scene in a different way.

Nothing wrong with capturing something just as it looked, but I don't find that makes for an interesting landscape shot. Rather I like to be able to see what I've been missing.

See that a field of wild flowers isn't just some slightly blurred fields of color, but actually made up of tens of thousands of flower petals, or the textures of on the park of a grove of Aspen tree's etc

Not every image needs this, and my DP2m is my least used camera I own, but its still a favorite, and for those times when it really does work, its a really amazing tool.

I'd love something like MF back, but I can't really afford gear costing several times my car, and that I'd use for just hobbyist landscape use. Merrill, especially when stitched gets me closer to that and in an easy to carry little package.

I just gives me the fine detail I like that my RX1 or D800 can't even deliver (though I do only have Nikon glass, no Zeiss primes which could be a little sharper)

I've heard the X3 files called "hyper reality" and that is somewhat fitting and they do somewhat capture more than we realize is there, but that is what is fun with them, looking at the per pixel sharpness at 100% and seeing that there is in fact a birds next in the tree in your backyard you never realized was there, or that there are tiny little hikers you can make out on the shot of a mountain etc.

I find myself shooting things with the camera just to get back home and explore them in detail. Its a very poor camera in many ways, but its also a very fun camera at times.

PNArruda
Total Posts: 29

Fuji X-E1, 35mm f/1.4

Cheers,
P.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedronarruda/9209363721/

corposant
Total Posts: 2960

I have been playing with Iridient Developer's demo for the past day.

The Deconvolution Sharpening must be similar to whatever Fuji does in-camera with its JPGs, because it brings out a staggering amount of detail in the RAWs. I started trying to replicate the sharpening routine in Photoshop. Smart Sharpen with a little High Pass gets pretty close, but Iridient's sharpening algorithm is pretty impressive right of the gate. I am going to play around with C1/PS to see if I can actually get the same amount of detail.

The rest of the program kind of leaves a bit to be desired, but as the demo is fully functional (and the $70 license isn't wallet-crunching) it's worth a try if anybody wants to squeeze a little more detail out of their files without taking them into PS.

Camtography
Total Posts: 52

Some Infrared shots from two days ago.

Notre-Dame-3 by Camtography, on Flickr

Notre-Dame-93 by Camtography, on Flickr

Notre-Dame-97 by Camtography, on Flickr

Notre-Dame-98 by Camtography, on Flickr

xenor
Total Posts: 115

I love the how well the X-E1 works with manual focus lenses. Here are a few more playing with a couple of new acquisitions:

Shadows | Hexanon 135mm f/3.2

The next three with Super Takumar 105mm f/2.8
Daisy

Mallow

Hanging Planter of Petunias

cputeq
Total Posts: 6039

Digging that funky bokeh on shot two !

jojomon11
Total Posts: 7623

Wow justruss, awesome B and W set, no. 3 rocks!

Phil

AbramG
Total Posts: 2898

Here's one from St. Peter's (Vatican)

X-Pro 1 + 35mm

SOOC with my B&W settings in the camera.

Vatican - St. Peter's Bascilica by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1707

cputeq, those lightening photos are stunning! I'm envious.
justruss, very nice long exposures, especially #3 and 4! I just bought a ND filter and can't wait to try it.
Camtography, interesting IR set. Nice mood in all of them.
AbramG, beautiful! Great light, composition and tones.

A couple of local landscapes with X-E1 and Fuji 14mm:

Farm landscape by Helena Normark, on Flickr

View from Gråkallen by Helena Normark, on Flickr

BokehBeauty
Total Posts: 386

Helena, it's amazing what you get out of the lens and camera; particularly the farmland image.
I still fight with the focal length. But I knew before buying.

HelenaN

Thank you! I'm very happy with this kit. The 55-200 too, even though I don't use it as much.
Hope you'll start to enjoy the focal length eventually. Maybe it was easier for me because I was used to the Zeiss 21mm on my 5D.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 2078

Good to see you're enjoying your new gear Helena!

Some great work in this thread people. It's been a while since I posted here. (Not strange knowing that I sold my Fuji set he he.)
I'm going through my archives and found a shot that I hadn't edited yet:

Rough by Jochen-B, on Flickr

X-E1 with XF 35/1.4

HelenaN

That's a really good photo Jochen! Also, all your recent B&Ws (especially the street photos) have such a great look to them. Are you still using Lightroom, or some kind of plug-in now?

Jochenb
Total Posts: 2078

HelenaN wrote:
That's a really good photo Jochen! Also, all your recent B&Ws (especially the street photos) have such a great look to them. Are you still using Lightroom, or some kind of plug-in now?

Thanks Helena!
It depends. Sometimes I'm just using Lightroom (this last one here is converted to B&W in Lightroom), but often also the plugin "silver efex pro 2".

1       2       3              107      
       109              578       579       end