Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/103

1       2       3              103      
       105              577       578       end

jcolwell
Total Posts: 28212

Hi jonrock, I've only had the XF 55-200 OIS for a few days, and so I'm still getting used to it. I agree with HelenaN and ssnap that the OIS is very good - it's better than I expected. OTOH, I'm not going to sell my 1DX and 70-200/2.8L IS II, but the X-Pro 1 with XF 55-200 IOS make a much better package for family vacation. The IQ from the X-Pro 1 and XF 55-200mm is very nice, but I don't get nearly as many in-focus shots in contrary lighting conditions as with my 1D-series cameras and L lenses - no surprise here.

P.S. the XF 14/2.8 R is also very nice.

ssnap
Total Posts: 459

jcolwell wrote:
Hi jonrock, I've only had the XF 55-200 OIS for a few days, and so I'm still getting used to it. I agree with HelenaN and ssnap that the OIS is very good - it's better than I expected. OTOH, I'm not going to sell my 1DX and 70-200/2.8L IS II, but the X-Pro 1 with XF 55-200 IOS make a much better package for family vacation. The IQ from the X-Pro 1 and XF 55-200mm is very nice, but I don't get nearly as many in-focus shots in contrary lighting conditions as with my 1D-series cameras and L lenses - no surprise here.

P.S. the XF 14/2.8 R is also very nice.

I hope you didn't take me wrong, the Fuji is not in the same league as the Canon. If I was a working professional I would have kept my Canon gear and the 70-200 (possibly with an upgrade to full frame). I can say that I'm just as happy with images from the Fuji as I was with the Canon. As a hobby shooter and for my style the Fuji seems to be a better fit. That won't be the case for everyone and you are right focusing on the XP1 is an issue. Hopefully it's resolved in the next iteration.

HelenaN thank you for the compliments and congrats

jcolwell
Total Posts: 28212

Hi ssnap,

I didn't take you wrong. You said, "... for my photography needs...", which is clear enough for me. I was just sayin' that my photography needs are different, although the Fuji X lineup has an important place in my inventory, including for use at intimate events.

Jman13
Total Posts: 13003

I'm hoping to get my hands on a copy of the 55-200 for review. I'm interested in it as a longer option on Fuji, but I'm not quite sure if I really want to invest in it. From what I've seen, it appears to be a very good lens. I am somewhat spoiled having the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 as my main telephoto zoom on m4/3, and that lens is phenomenal, so I have high expectations for the Fuji (though it's a much less expensive optic...and slower, but with greater range).

ssnap

jcolwell wrote:
Hi ssnap,

I didn't take you wrong. You said, "... for my photography needs...", which is clear enough for me. I was just sayin' that my photography needs are different, although the Fuji X lineup has an important place in my inventory, including for use at intimate events.

Awesome, I must say that there are times that I miss the 70-200 but in all honesty I never used it as much as I should have (to cost justify). If I get back into doing side work and events I would reconsider a DSLR. Right now I'm happy with my kit

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1705

From a couple of short hikes (X-E1 and 14mm):

Lianvatnet by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Rønningen by Helena Normark, on Flickr

felixj
Total Posts: 93

Hugely happy with the new firmware for AF selection. Despite using it for last year and a bit, I never got used to having to involve my left hand in changing AF selection.

Been shooting with some adapted lens so next month firmware release of focus peaking will be greatly welcome as well.

As for Auto ISO, it is nice to have but not a deal breaker. It would also be great to have auto ISO along with exposure comp working if I was to manually select both aperture and shutter speed.

As for some photos, this is a couple from shooting with Helios M44-4 58/2 via Kipon adapter. The second isn't particularly great shot but I thought the bokeh is very interesting with this lens.

http://

The next two are shot with Zuiko 50mm 1.4 via cheaper £15 adapter. Made me wish I didn't spend so much on the m42 Kipon mount adapter. Great lens.

The last one is with Auto Reflex 55mm 1.4. No idea what this is but I believe it is a Tamioka rebadged lens. Soft wide open with a glow and low contrast. I think this will be a B&W lens for me.

W.T. Jones
Total Posts: 177

Some nice work here, it has been ages since I checked in to FM.

Jman13 I love the chair series for it's simplicity.

I would like to share a pic with you all from Cape Cod Mass

XE-1 18-55

Jochenb
Total Posts: 2078

Felix, nice rendering IMHO!

baboonstudio
Total Posts: 1

I just want to say hello and post one of my first shots with this great camera ( X Pro 1 ) IS LR 5 good for fuji's raws ?i.e better than LR4 I am new to digital photography I've spent last years developing with Jobo

felixj
Total Posts: 93

Thanks Jochen. I stil have a few other vintage lens to play with. Hoping to get more time to shoot with it.

millsart
Total Posts: 6115

Well had to follow Helena's lead and break down and go for a XE-1 with the 14mm since the rebate prices are about to end and represent quite a decent savings. Really wanted a compact wide angle and the 14mm looks to be about the best thing going without spending a fortune.

Had a recently sold an XPro when I got my RX1, but looked like when all is said and done, if my aim is mainly wide angle (and maybe tele when the 56mm f1.2 comes out) the better EVF of the XE-1 is going to be a better choice than another Xpro since the OVF won't be great at 21 and 85mm equiv.

Of course all these great images in this thready lately certainly helped lubricate the credit card coming out of my wallet a little easier

cputeq
Total Posts: 6036

XE1 and 35/1.4

ssnap

Here are some indoor shots with the 55-200. It's not an ideal situation, but the low light and slow shutter speeds help you see how good the OIS is.

200mm @ f/4.8 1/60 sec ISO 2500

70mm @ f/3.7 1/60 sec ISO 1250

Here's one at 67mm for fun. F/3.6 1/60 sec ISO 200

Camtography
Total Posts: 52

Two photos taken on Wednesday in Montreal.

Montreal 2013-45 by Camtography, on Flickr

Montreal 2013-137 by Camtography, on Flickr

This city now has so much green.

Also, this was a photo I took before I calibrated the Custom white balance.

Montreal 2013-116 by Camtography, on Flickr

Then I went into the Custom WB menu, took a shot of the sidewalk, and this is the final result.

Montreal 2013-117 by Camtography, on Flickr

Aside from the watermark these last two images are straight out of camera (SOOC). I am impressed.

HelenaN

-Felix, I really like that set! Both the artistic aspect, but also the lens rendering. Lovely.
-millsart, hope you'll be happy with it! I wasn't aware of the rebate, but that explains why I got a much better price than expected when I ordered mine.
-cputeq, too bad about the toes, but a nice capture anyway. Like the light and muted color tones.

--

This probably isn't to everyone's taste, but I'll post it anyway. It's a road tunnel under construction. The light was weirdly orange and I couldn't find something that I liked when post processing and B&W looked too dull, so I decided to go the other way and make it even more red/orange. X-E1 and 14mm.

Tunnel to Hell? by Helena Normark, on Flickr

millsart

Helena, rebates might of been US only, I'm not sure.

They ran through the 29th (so if your on the fence better place an order today!) and were savings off most all the lenses with purchase of camera body, sans 55-200.

I got the XE-1 body only for $799, and then saved $200 off both the 35mm and 14mm. I was thinking of getting the 18mm as well since it had an even better rebate of $300 but have the RX1 and 28/35 are close enough to not warrant even more expenditures no matter how good the deal.

I purchased from One Call, who also matched the additional 4% savings some other retailers were offering such as B&H, only I got it instantly off the price, rather than merchandise credit in 40-60 days, so even better.

Great place to buy from.

HelenaN

I got a 1100 NOK (approx. $200) rebate on the X-E1 compared to the price the shop listed the day before. The prices for the lenses seem to be the same as "always" though, so perhaps that was a coincidence and had nothing to do with your rebates.

Right now I have X-E1 and 14mm + 55-200mm (and RX1), and think I will stop there. However, if the coming 56mm/1.2 is as good as the others, and not huge and heavy, it will be hard to resist.

millsart

I went ahead and called One Call back and they were able to add the 60mm f2.4 onto my existing purchase, $300 savings on that lens so $349 final price. Heck of a deal there and should provide for a nice stop gap for a fast tele prime til the 56mm comes out next year.

Jman13
Total Posts: 13003

That's what I'm doing with the 60 as well. It's a very nice lens...absolutely beautifully built (it feels like it's carved from a solid block of metal) and sharp. Focus is very slow, but it works.

1       2       3              103      
       105              577       578       end