Shutter sounds of D800 vs 5D3
/forum/topic/1097222/0

2       3       end

Jorge Torralba
Total Posts: 2478

Don't know if this post has any value to it. But, here I go.

I picked up the D800 today and as expected, it's a pretty hefty well build camera. The shutter actually sound a little more solid than that of the D700. I also played with the 5D3. It looks much nicer than the previous versions. However, the shutter on the 5D3 has to be the worst sounding shutter I have ever heard. On continuous shooting, it sounds like an old Smith Corona typewritter at 60 words per minute. I kid you not. it was horrible. What is obvious is that Nikon puts just as much effort into their prosumer camera as their pro. Whereas Canon, really distinguish their pro from prosumer.

Gregory.Rotter
Total Posts: 2338

^ Its words like that, that will get you flamed lol, you do get the odd canon user passing through round here.

IMHO, the 5D's all look pretty much the same tbh, as i'm sure they think of our D200/D300,D800 (apart from the prism bulge), look the same too.

thedruid
Total Posts: 1494

The D700 has the worst sounding shutter I've ever heard, it's loud and ugly!!!!

Gregory.Rotter
Total Posts: 2338

^ . Told you they'd come a knockin

mikesrc
Total Posts: 379

Mine sound like slaming the tail gate on a Ford pickup

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5961

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Don't know if this post has any value to it. But, here I go.

I picked up the D800 today and as expected, it's a pretty hefty well build camera. The shutter actually sound a little more solid than that of the D700. I also played with the 5D3. It looks much nicer than the previous versions. However, the shutter on the 5D3 has to be the worst sounding shutter I have ever heard. On continuous shooting, it sounds like an old Smith Corona typewritter at 60 words per minute. I kid you not. it was horrible. What is obvious is that Nikon puts just as much effort into their prosumer camera as their pro. Whereas Canon, really distinguish their pro from prosumer.

The loudness of the shutter on the D700 is one of it's significant drawbacks for me - how loud was the D800 compared to the D700 for sound level for a single shutter actuation?

John

chris129
Total Posts: 191

I have a d700 and have to agree - I think the shutter is very loud. hope the d800 is quieter!

Arka
Total Posts: 10668

The D700 is incredibly loud, and doesn't sound all that great.

Arka C.

Kittyk
Total Posts: 4405

D700 was bad, D800, especially on quiet mode, is very close to D300s, only little deeper tone.

Hrow
Total Posts: 5332

This just too easy, must show civility and restraint.

Hrow
Total Posts: 5332

Aw, F it, the D700 shutter sounds like a mouse having its legs pulled off by a cat. Now I feel better!

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4165

Never paid much attention to any of my cameras shutter sounds. It must be the loss of hearing due to large family or my selective hearing in play .

Nathan Padgett
Total Posts: 611

I've had different D700's that all sound a little different. Generally I don't mind them being a little loud expect in very quite situations.

Chris Ventura
Total Posts: 913

I personally think the K-5 has the nicest shutter I have ever heard. :-)

trenchmonkey
Total Posts: 35389

The old 10D was a sweet one, too.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9737

My camera can burp, creak, or croak like a frog for all I care...

Dan1
Total Posts: 362

Found these on youtube, continuous one continuous two silent mode Won't really demonstrate how loud it is of course, but it gives you an idea of the character.

tuantran
Total Posts: 204

Does it sound different for people of different region or ethnicity? I know that people here in US describes the sound of frog make differently than people from UK.

Maybe we can change the wav file for the camera?

shoenberg3
Total Posts: 648

tuantran wrote:

Maybe we can change the wav file for the camera?

I certainly hope you are joking

It is very funny either way.

gilead
Total Posts: 415

Love the sound of my D700, it's the closest you can come to owning a gun here in Canada.

2       3       end