Camera Cleaning
/forum/topic/1096140/0

Creativesifu
Total Posts: 241

What is a reasonable Cost and expectation? When I shoot pictures on Solid sky or white backgrounds I see spots in the pictures.

Will a $40 cleaning at the camera shop fix this? Or are they just doing the sensor cleaning that the camera already says it is doing?

WiPhotoguy
Total Posts: 346

Sounds like you need a sensor cleaning. A way to verify that is to shoot a even blue sky at f16 and you should see spots. Then shoot it at 2.8 and generally you won't see many.

The in camera sensor cleaning isn't all that effective.

thedruid
Total Posts: 1483

Buy a Sensor Swab with the Eclipse fluid already on it and clean it yourself, it's a lot cheaper and you can do it whenever you want. When I had a 5D I had to clean that puppy once a week.

rhyder
Total Posts: 3785

Creativesifu wrote:
.......... that the camera already says it is doing?

What?? Your camera talks to you??

alohadave
Total Posts: 843

Creativesifu wrote:
What is a reasonable Cost and expectation? When I shoot pictures on Solid sky or white backgrounds I see spots in the pictures.

Will a $40 cleaning at the camera shop fix this? Or are they just doing the sensor cleaning that the camera already says it is doing?

$30-60 is fairly typical to have a camera store clean a sensor. You can do it yourself for free once you have the tools. Google clean sensor and your camera model.

dehrk
Total Posts: 84

You might want to try a rocket blower first. Solved my spots pretty handily.

henryp
Total Posts: 1834

Camera cleaning:
http://bhpho.to/GVKDik

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

nugeny
Total Posts: 5187

For years I have been using a rocket blower and a small vacuum held at a small distance(depending on the power of your vacuum). It is free and works like charm.

Kory Lidstrom
Total Posts: 820

I do most cleanings myself, but, sometimes after shooting in places like dunes, etc, the sensor can get dirty enough that it's time to have a pro do it. Here in Minneapolis, we have a camera shop that will clean your sensor for a flat $50 no matter how dirty it is or how much time it actually takes them to get it clean. It's well worth it on the rare occasions it's needed.

DubiousDrewski
Total Posts: 582

The $42 fee at my store (Vistek) covers a sensor AND mirror/focus screen clean. And yes, it's a much more thorough cleaning than what the built-in sensor vibration will achieve.

BriMcD
Total Posts: 194

Visible Dust sensor loupe and sensor swabs. look it up on you tube. It's not that hard to do.

BluesWest
Total Posts: 745

The in camera sensor cleaning isn't all that effective.

On the contrary, there have been several instances where I've had spots on my 7D sensor and running the in-camera sensor cleaning mechanism a few times in a row has solved the problem. When that hasn't worked, a quick cleaning with a rocket blower, as suggested above, has done the job

I haven't had to perform a wet cleaning at all in three years of owning the camera, even though I sometimes remove and/or install an extender while in the field.

John

Micky Bill
Total Posts: 2619

To be honest it's not that hard. Taking your camera to the store to have a "pro" do it...the pro being the clerk who isn't doing anything for the next 15 minutes is like taking your car to the car dealer to check the air in your tires.

Bob Kane
Total Posts: 291

This is a Pro forum?