Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section
/forum/topic/1089326/0

2       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12746

I sent this PM to you Fred and haven't heard back. I thought posting it in this forum might catch your attention if I said the magic words... Fred Miranda

To: Fred Miranda
Date: Feb 18, 2012
Subject: Nikon Lens Review Addition
Hi Fred - We've been having a discussion on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread about ways in which some of what we've learned about these great lenses can be shared with others who might be interested in the subject. Our thread is fast approaching 700 pages and has become so long that it isn't easy for ANYONE to find things within the thread.

We've discussed the possibility of creating a wiki on the subject but that seems like a rather daunting prospect. A couple of members suggested a great place to begin would be to add Nikon's manual focus lenses in a new category within the Nikon reviews on this site. The Lens section would be modified to include three or four categories. Right now there is a section for primes and a section for zooms. We could add a section for all MF Nikon lenses, or two sections, one each for MF primes and MF zooms. Doing so would allow those folks who've been enjoying shooting with these lenses to post reviews and links to images or related discussions of the particular lens. I can imagine this would become a very valuable resource to anyone considering these great lenses.

Any thoughts on the matter? Does this seem workable to you? I'm certain we could pull together the information required to set up the page, including photos and technical specs. That information is readily available and I imagine folks presently posting would be willing to pull it together for you so all you'd have to do is the coding to include the new sections.

Hope you're enjoying the long weekend. There is no rush on this but I look forward to hearing from you.

Curtis

The Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread is the most active on the Nikon forum and one of the most active on FM. There is obviously a great deal of interest in these lenses both among Nikon shooters and those playing in the Alternative Gear forum. Adding the lenses to the review section would support all those fans and likely become an appreciated resource for those who don't know this website but love these lenses. You could generate EVEN MORE eyeballs...

leighton w
Total Posts: 8986

+1^

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 4465

+2

montym
Total Posts: 4701

As a novice MF shooter, I would love to see this happen!

Monty

CGrindahl

^ The usual suspects...

Thanks guys. Maybe we can convince Fred to add this useful feature to an already great website.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4886

This is a long over due addition to our review section. It only makes sense that it should be there, especially considering the amount of revenue brought into this forum through the sales of these wonderful lenses.

onewire66
Total Posts: 69

I also would like to see this

deang001
Total Posts: 1525

Great idea Curtis. It would be a great resource for not only members of FM, but also bring many newcomers to the site as there is not much quality info regarding these lenses around. Maybe a link to the thread after each review as well?

CGrindahl

I'm bumping this to the top since Fred has yet to respond. Fred, where are you?

anthonysemone

+2

anthonysemone

Fred, oh Fred, where art thou?

CGrindahl

Frankly, Tony, I'm surprised he hasn't made an appearance. Thanks for the bump and for mentioning Fred's name. I've always thought he tracked such references.

anthonysemone

Perhaps he's in the Cayman's Even so, what with all of you all on the MF board and the combined expertise, indeed, it would be enormously useful to folks beginning a manual focus journey to have available a resource for MF lenses. It sure would have saved me a considerable amount of $ early on. That's especially clear given the current review that John has put up looking at the 400's.

CGrindahl

There definitely is gold in them thar hills... Hopefully we can put it to good use... with a little bit of help from Fred.

Taoguy
Total Posts: 832

Where in the world is Mario, er, Fred?

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17666

I could be wrong but I'm don't think these reviews if implemented would be very active. However, the reviews page is due to a big update. How many lenses are we talking about here?
Fred

anthonysemone

Hi Fred,

well, the MF thread now has well over 320 pages and it's adding contributors seemingly on a daily basis, as well as adding our own commentary as to which MF lens to get next, IQ, etc. Curtis will be along to give you better numbers than I.

thanks Fred,

tony

CGrindahl

Fred Miranda wrote:
I could be wrong but I'm don't think these reviews if implemented would be very active. However, the reviews page is due to a big update. How many lenses are we talking about here?
Fred

Hey Fred... good to hear from you. As Tony notes, the Nikon Manual Focus Glass thread is the busiest on the Nikon forum and one of the fastest moving on FM. We will have added 10,000 posts during the time it has taken Best Nikon Shots to add a bit over 900. And the topic of lens suitability and quality comes up quite regularly, especially among new participants to the conversation. With a thread that has over 700 pages and no search function for thread contents, it is practically impossible for anyone to find lens specific information within the thread.

No doubt you're aware that Nikon's manual focus lenses are much prized, not only by Nikon shooters but by Canon shooters as well as those using a wide array of cameras and video gear. My guess is that a well done review section for these lenses would find a wide audience not only within FM but outside. Those of us shooting MF know all the web resources available and there is none I've encountered that permits users to write reviews. I believe it would be very popular and much used.

If you check my profile you'll see 23 manual focus Nikon lenses. I'm definitely missing a few of the gems in Nikon's MF collection. My guess is we'd have a pretty thorough review section with room for 40 lenses, perhaps a bit more then 30 primes and less than ten zooms. If you want a more specific list I'll happily raise the subject on the thread and see what those using them believe belong on this list.

I applaud your intention to refresh the Reviews section. As the go to photography site on the web this is an important resource for all of us. It would be frosting on the cake to have Nikon's great manual focus lenses included. Let's make it happen!

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17666

Ok, here is the deal. I don't know anything about these lenses and will not read the thread looking for clues.
To be able to implement this I would need 100% help. I would need the correct "name" of each lens, a "picture" of it, "description" and "specs". Maybe someone can create a quick html page with this info. Perhaps we need to condensate the list to about 30 lenses (the most popular ones). As soon as I have this list I would be happy to add a section to the reviews page.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4886

Whoo Hooo!!!!!

2       end