Is this shutter failing?
/forum/topic/1073129/0

DocsPics
Total Posts: 2492

1DMkIV with about 6K shutter count.

First two images early in the shoot. But then it cleared (last image as example). I'm sure this isn't good...whatever it is.

Thoughts?

Thank.

Dgw2
Total Posts: 42

Last time I had something like that there was a hair that got into the shutter compartment.

DocsPics

That may be it. It was very windy and I had to change lenses. I 'll go take a very close look.

Thanks

Mile High
Total Posts: 279

Do you use a camera strap? I got some very similar looking shots when I used a tripod and the strap was blowing in front of the lens.

Netgarden
Total Posts: 2547

Wow, scary, i,ve had a few totally black photos om my mkiv and slightly worried.
But could this be a limb/leaf blowing inbetween your shooting? Would a hair change directions like that?

EB-1
Total Posts: 22265

It looks like an OOF obstruction in front of the lens or perhaps something internal. Is that the 500/4 IS with a 1.4x?

EBH

BrianO
Total Posts: 8526

Netgarden wrote: ...Would a hair change directions like that?

It could, if it were attached to the mirror at one end.

DocsPics

EB-1 wrote:
It looks like an OOF obstruction in front of the lens or perhaps something internal. Is that the 500/4 IS with a 1.4x?

EBH

Yes, a 500/4 with a 1.4 . Possible external obstruction as I was on the edge of the woods. Nothing inside the camera on close inspection tonight. As long as it doesn't happen again, I'll be glad.

Did get a few keepers later on.