Why VR or IS???
/forum/topic/1072433/0

2       end

nugeny
Total Posts: 5113

I used to shoot Canon 500/4 IS and then Nikon 300 VR. I am not strong enough to handhold any of these lenses+monster cameras. So they are always on tripod.
the question is why do we buy IS/VR when we have to shoot on tripod any way? Exception of course for very few hunks out there who can Handhold them.

PeterP1D
Total Posts: 137

Espresso hops me up enough to want to handhold. IS makes it possible

EB-1
Total Posts: 21624

Seriously, the answer is why not. IQ is not much affected by the minimal use of extra glass in the long lenses and VR/IS helps rather often at high magnification. 95% of the time my 500/4 IS is used on a beanbag or (briefly) handheld. Sometimes it is on a monopod and rarely on a tripod. I used to use a 300/2.8 IS handheld rather often as well. You don't have to be very strong to handle that for short periods.

EBH

TDiamond
Total Posts: 18

Might be different if you used a monopod

chez
Total Posts: 7249

You are telling me you cannot hand hold a 300mm lens. Then I guess IS is not meant for you, but for the majority of photos that either hand hold or possibly use a monopod, the IS is a god send.

jdben622
Total Posts: 4019

500, 300, and 200 are quite hand-holdable.

nugeny

chez wrote:
You are telling me you cannot hand hold a 300mm lens. Then I guess IS is not meant for you, but for the majority of photos that either hand hold or possibly use a monopod, the IS is a god send.

I used monopod on a cruise ship---tripod was no no--- and the images I got were really sharp without IS/VR. I will buy a 400/2.8 with VR, just because it comes with all the modern glass and coating and better AF, not because of VR. Have no choice but to pay for VR.

nugeny

jdben622 wrote:
500, 300, and 200 are quite hand-holdable.

Are 6ft and 250 lbs? and go to the gym daily?

jdben622
Total Posts: 4019

6' 2" and 225#

But it's more technique than strength. You need to form a triangular brace with your weak arm to steady the lens...just like shooting a rifle.

nugeny

jdben622 wrote:
6' 2" and 225#

But it's more technique than strength. You need to form a triangular brace with your weak arm to steady the lens...just like shooting a rifle.

Well, easy to say when you have the strength. Want to trade with me?, 70 yo, 5ft6 and 150lbs?
Actually I am happy the way I have been. No need for VR with tri/monopod.

sjms
Total Posts: 18158

thats why they have that on/off switch. use at your leisure, want, need.

chez

nugeny wrote:
chez wrote:

I used monopod on a cruise ship---tripod was no no--- and the images I got were really sharp without IS/VR. I will buy a 400/2.8 with VR, just because it comes with all the modern glass and coating and better AF, not because of VR. Have no choice but to pay for VR.

Depends what shutter speed you were using. Also depends on what you are shooting with your big lens. Birds in flight are very challenging to shoot off of a tripod.

EB-1
Total Posts: 21624

chez wrote:
Depends what shutter speed you were using. Also depends on what you are shooting with your big lens. Birds in flight are very challenging to shoot off of a tripod.

I would say it is the opposite. Usually it is better to shoot BIF hand held than use a tripod.

EBH

nugeny

EB-1 wrote:
chez wrote:

I would say it is the opposite. Usually it is better to shoot BIF hand held than use a tripod.

EBH

The biggest lens I can confortabley handhold is 70-200. For BIF I am with Chez. It is great with a good tripod and ballhead+sidekick or similar.

droopy1592
Total Posts: 652

Real men are ready to hand hold at a moment's notice

wait...

chez

EB-1 wrote:
chez wrote:

EBH

Exactly what I said

HerbChong
Total Posts: 7276

i don't know. i hand hold my 200-400/4 almost exclusively and i am smaller than you. if you have lousy technique, even 28mm shots can be ruined.

Herb...

nugeny wrote:
Well, easy to say when you have the strength. Want to trade with me?, 70 yo, 5ft6 and 150lbs?

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19138

EB-1 wrote:
chez wrote:

EBH

Agreed. Racing motorcycles, too. IS generally turned off for this. Maybe in Mode 2 (Canon) for predictable trajectories.

nugeny

HerbChong wrote:
i don't know. i hand hold my 200-400/4 almost exclusively and i am smaller than you. if you have lousy technique, even 28mm shots can be ruined.

Herb...

nugeny wrote:

Thanks for the genreous compliment, Herb. I do have a lousy tech. It is hard to do it just few times a year. I wish I was a bobot. That is why the tri/monopod is my friend.
Bob

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19138

nugeny wrote:
... I wish I was a bobot. That is why the tri/monopod is my friend.
Bob

Bobot. Is that a robot from Planet Bob?

I can see it now... "Danger, Will Robinson!" Robot BOB9's arms are akimbo and wildly waving about. Left arm is a Nikkor *ED 400/2.8 IF MF; "the smasher". Right arm is a Canon EF 1200/5.6 L USM; "the finder". Who needs VR or IS. This is old school bot stuff.

2       end