Lens Purchase Quandry
/forum/topic/1072084/0

cobraboy1997
Total Posts: 10

I'm new here, but like the tone of this site. Very civil and helpful.

I currently have a 60d and am pleased with it.

Lenses
Tamron 28 - 300
Tamron 17 - 55
Canon 50 1.8

I shoot motorcycle racing at Road Atlanta, car drifting at Turner Field in Atlanta, pets, landscapes and travel outdoor images. I do shoot indoors also when traveling in some low light situations.

Not a snob, but rented a Canon 70 - 200 F4 non IS and could immediately tell the improvement in the images.

Here is my question: I think I want the 70 - 200 2.8 VII and can afford it. I don't mind the weight but want to make sure this isn't overkill for my photography.

I don't want to keep changing lenses in a never ending quest to find the best one.

I think that this one will give me all I need for some time.

Opinions appreciated.

3catsinky
Total Posts: 1392

just do it. if you read the reviews, you'll have no regrets.

Grantland
Total Posts: 3572

it is an amazing lens. if you can afford it i trust you will be very pleased. if not, you should be able sell it without much of a lose.

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1693

If you are shooting mostly in good light don't waste your money on the IS II....get yourself a 70-200 2.8 non IS and save yourself over a grand. I have them both and the 2.8 non IS is great for shooting in sports/motorsports in good light - very close to the 2.8 IS II.

Jefferson
Total Posts: 4792

artsupreme wrote:
If you are shooting mostly in good light don't waste your money on the IS II....get yourself a 70-200 2.8 non IS and save yourself over a grand. I have them both and the 2.8 non IS is great for shooting in sports/motorsports in good light - very close to the 2.8 IS II.

Don't need the IS for motorsports...just slows down the AF, don't want that to happen with Superbikes coming into turn one at Road Atlanta...the plus side is less weight than the IS version. I've shot WERA at Turn Seven with a 200 f/2.8L (no IS in that glass), on a 30D (320mm)...slow shutter speed, with no problem.

http://roadatlanta.com/ev_ama.lasso

Jefferson

ct8282
Total Posts: 2204

Get the mk2 IS. It is more versatile and disgustingly sharp. You will not regret it for one second.
If you have the money just go for it.

eaglescout
Total Posts: 45

If the IQ, AF speed or anything else about 70-200 2.8 IS mkII disappoints you, you will likely have a long wait for something better to come along.

You said you shoot indoors and if the 70-200 range suits your needs get the 2.8 IS.

The AF is fast enough for the racing, but the IS may not be needed and the f:4 will likely meets your needs (but the 2.8 can be used to increase your SS). The only question might be is where to shoot from. After all, it is only 200mm at the long end so you may need to find the right best location to get the shots you want (e.g. coming around a turn). Using a TC will slow the AF (which is blazingly fast), but I havenít tried mine with a TC yet to determine how much.

I have also heard very good things about the 70-300 L (I donít have it), comparing it to the new 70-200. Some have said the IQ and AF speed comes close if not rivals the 70-200. While it provides more reach you may want for racing, it is f:4-5.6 and may not suit your needs for lower light capability. Still, it is a little cheaper than the 70-200 2.8 IS mkII.

Getting the best, even if it offers more than you need, is not wrong. What would be wrong is getting a lens only to find out it comes up short and you purchased the wrong one.

I chose to go for the 70-200 2.8 IS mkII for my situation and needs, but it will be your decision and you will need to live with. Good luck with it.

cobraboy1997

Guys,
Great feedback from everyone!

I am going to watch for the next few days/weeks to see if there are anymore deals on the 70-200 2.8 mkII.

If not, will pull the trigger and get one.

Appreciate your help.

Jefferson
Total Posts: 4792

Another thought...without going to $$$ (500 f/4L IS MK II and the like),...I use the 300 f/4L IS on a 30D and sometimes on a 5Dc for most of my track shots...mostly with the IS off...very good in good light. I also have the 70-200 f/4L IS, also light weight and handles well... and very good in good light...those and a 17-40 f/4L works for me at Road Atlanta for 90% of what I shoot.

The bike is an older shot with a 5D and 300 f/4...It's a shot from Turn One, Road Atlanta...

Jefferson

cobraboy1997

Jefferson,
Nice shots!

I love the challenge of getting the shots at the track. Everything happens so fast, a bit of a challenge.

Can't wait for race season to start.

Thanks for the feedback

mikegeng
Total Posts: 334

Get the 70-200 II. Absolutely a workhorse lens. I shoot motorsports, aviation, portraits and use it for all of the above. Was just reading an eagle thread here where the shots at the end were all done with same lens. Road Atlanta. Not one of my best, but one I had handy. The zoom really helps as you never know what corner you may be at and they all vary in ideal focal length.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5269/5691197598_707da39dd2_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5229/5691972688_34d44054b1_b.jpg

gregoryallen
Total Posts: 174

cobraboy1997 wrote:
Guys,
Great feedback from everyone!

I am going to watch for the next few days/weeks to see if there are anymore deals on the 70-200 2.8 mkII.

If not, will pull the trigger and get one.

Appreciate your help.

B&H still has it for $1974. You will not beat that price!

ggOk
Total Posts: 687

i tried drifting.... so much different from motorcycle racing..
all and all, i think mark II is money lens. Never looked back.
now, if I can just improve my technique, I'll be a happy man.

Andy

cobraboy1997

Guys,
Appreciate the feedback and images.

I think I should order before the specials go away and I am left waiting for them to happen again.