Question on purchasing mat, backing, and bags
/forum/topic/1071639/0

bigkidneys
Total Posts: 1001

A friend has talked me into trying to sell a few photos of mine at his friend's gallery. He thought having them mounted and framed would be best but I really think just having them matted and in bags would give a potential buyer more leeway with what they want to do with a frame. I think I will either print 8x12s so I don't have to crop but may go 8x10s for some. People have pointed to framedestination.com as a great source. Are there any other suggestions out there? I would like to get everything from one place (mats, backing, and bags) if possible. I have never done this before and not to keen on selling some of my pictures but if someone finds one interesting then why not, right Just don't want it to look half a$$ if you know what I mean but then again I don't want to go broke selling them for $25-$35 each either (no idea of a good price). Anyone out there done the same? Any pointers would be appreciated! Thanks.

Jason

BluesWest
Total Posts: 784

I'm going through a similar process myself (i.e., thinking about selling some prints and learning about mounting alternatives). Here are some links to two retailers selling the relevant supplies:

Documounts

MATCutter.com

John

sbeme
Total Posts: 17389

Framedestination is great.
Check out prices of other items in the gallery and nearby to get some sense of price points.
Figure your costs before committing to a price.
As a rough idea, an 8x10 my cost up to $5 to print.
A decent 11x14 frame/mat/glass might be another $40-50.
You want to make something.
For me, an 8x10 would not be worth my time and I'd start with an 11x14 print or 12x18. Costs are higher.
I'd think about pricing in the neighborhood of $150-275 framed. Subtract $75-100 for matted alone.
If you dont sell anything, you may have invested $50-70 each and will have other opportunities to show your work. I find that almost all of my sales have occurred after someone has seen a finished version (matted and framed). And the pleasure of someone deciding to spend money on something I create is high.
Good luck. Maybe a very nice opportunity.
Scott

rsk7
Total Posts: 289

I get my frames from framedestination but I get my mats and bags from redimat.com. I don't generally end up with picture dimensions that fit standard pre-cut mats so I buy blanks cut to frame size and then custom cut the image opening.

I'd recommend framing the pictures for display on the wall and then having matted and bagged below so you get the full effect of the framed pictures but they have the option to buy and walk out with the image. Nothing like compulsion.