How to set price of used lens for sale?
/forum/topic/1071125/0

Chip Payet
Total Posts: 527

I have a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) that I would like to sell to help me buy the new IS version of the lens, but I don't really know how to price it. It is slightly damaged due to a drop a few months ago - everything still works fast, quiet, and the optics seem unchanged, but it's REALLY hard to get a filter of any kind to screw on.

Are there guidelines somewhere that I can use to determine how much to ask? I've seen them on eBay for $950-1100, but those are either new or refurbished as far as I can tell, not like mine.

Suggestions? Tips? Links to follow-up on?

eosuser2020
Total Posts: 390

just look around on B&S...You will find enough comparisons to set the price.

galenapass
Total Posts: 3714

KEH and B&S. B&S prices are about 10-15% lower than KEH.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11575

950-1000 is too much for a damaged lens. I'd only offer 600 for a damaged lens.

Chip Payet

RobertLynn wrote:

Even if the optics, AF, everything else works like new? Just curious, but that is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, as I want to be realistic.

Is there a way to trade it in to a place like B&H or Adorama, which can get it refurbished?

Should I consider sending it in to see if it is fixable before trying to sell it? Would that bring the price back up or not?

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20861

Hey Chip,

That's a tough one. Your estimate of "$950-1100" agrees very well with current Lens$db prices for this lens in [E] to [M-] condition. The dented filter ring puts your lens in uncertain territory.

For [E] condition, you would expect some indications of wear on the lens body, and no marks on the glass. It sounds like your lens fits the [E] or better category, except for the doink. Of course, the doink suggests possible problems with optical alignment, and etc.

I suggest you have two options:

(i) sell it in its current condition, with a full description of the situation, plus crisp photos of its good and bad aspects, or

(ii) get the filter ring repaired, and then sell it as above (mentioning the repair).

I've done both approaches. Which one to take depends on the value of the lens and the expected cost of repairs. In this case, I think you're better off with the first case.

I expect you could list it on eBay for a minumum bid of $650 and BuyItNow of $900, provided that you offered 'no questions within 7 days' return for refund of original purchase price and shipping (not including return shipping costs). If $650 to $850 is too little for you, then you could get an estimate for the repair, and go from there.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Jim

Lens$db: http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Chip Payet

Jim, thank you very much, I will take your first suggestion. I'd definitely hoped to get more, but understand the competition and potential issues. I've used it quite extensively since the drop and had no issues, but I'm not a pro.

Next week, I'll take it to a camera shop near me and get their appraisal, too.

Grantland
Total Posts: 3491

Chip Payet wrote:
RobertLynn wrote:

Even if the optics, AF, everything else works like new? Just curious, but that is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, as I want to be realistic.

Is there a way to trade it in to a place like B&H or Adorama, which can get it refurbished?

Should I consider sending it in to see if it is fixable before trying to sell it? Would that bring the price back up or not?

i see two options:

1. get it fixed so it is as new. then you can ask what others are asking.

2. adjust the price because it cannot take a filter. and because there is some risk on the buyers end. i dropped a lens once and it did not break but it needed to be sent in for element adjustments.

I would NOT trade to BH or Adorama, you won't get much.

Nozzleforward
Total Posts: 784

For what it's worth, I was going to suggest the very same thing that jcolwell did. I wouldn't see any problem selling it in it's current condition, so long as you show and describe whats damaged on it before hand. And like he said, an inspection period after buying it should relieve any concerns a potential buyer would have.

I know I'm always willing to buy something that's used, or even damaged, if it still works 100% and it's priced right Some of my best deals have been things like that.

You could also put it up with an asking price of whatever amount and entertain offers...

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20861

Chip Payet wrote:
Jim, thank you very much...

You're welcome. After all, we're in this together.

Chip Payet wrote: Next week, I'll take it to a camera shop near me and get their appraisal, too.

Just remember, the most accurate estimates will come from the most experienced people. Most of whom will likely be on vacation next week. Be patient... (not always easy, but usually prudent).

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11575

I'd just sell it as is. You're going to put money and time in for a negligible difference in return. Factor in time and shipping..

This isn't a. "big ticket" item where putting 10 grand into the kitchen gets you 20 grand more for the house.

It's a pricey lens, sure, but not one enough that you're going to get what you put in if you repair it.

Honestly, beat way to find a price would be put it on eBay AS IS and then let the bidders decide, but maybe put a "reasonable" reserve, so you don't get like 400 haha.

I am in a similar situation with a vintage guitar amp I have. I have a Mesa mark iic combo. For like 500 I can get it modded to a c+, but it only gets me MAYBE 100 more...before shipping to Mesa and back.

LDRider
Total Posts: 1679

Sounds like you want to advertize your lens off the B&S forum if you ask me....