My 200 F1.8L is on the way!
/forum/topic/1070524/0

1
       2       3              5       6       end

saneproduction
Registered: Nov 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1224
Country: N/A

With the help of the amazing Helen Oster, I was able to pick up a 200 F1.8L from Adorama. It will be here before the weekend! I am excited that I get to try the lens out while being protected by Adorama's amazing service and warranty. I also added a 2 year Mack used lens policy to cover me in case of any major repairs due to the age of the lens. The lens does not include the hood cap or case, but I am not troubled by this as I plan on picking up a Don Zeck cap and soft case anyway.

Here are a few pictures that were sent to me by Adorama since I was unable to visit the NY store myself to evaluate the lens. I will follow up with unboxing pictures and test shots here. Please feel free to post any shots with the 200 F1.8L or 200 F2 IS here to keep me calm while the lens makes it's way across the country ...also any advice about cases, hoods, caps, monopods, testing procedures for the new lens, etc. I have some great ideas about cases and hood from other 200 1.8L threads. Thanks to everyone on the forum for making this such a great place to discover new things and learn in a community.
Special thanks to Peter (PetKal) for his expert advice!
























stempsons
Registered: Dec 30, 2005
Total Posts: 457
Country: United States

the dog @ f/1.8



saneproduction
Registered: Nov 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1224
Country: N/A

Thanks for the picture, nice!

The Don Zeck cap is on the way!



Grantland
Registered: Aug 17, 2002
Total Posts: 3465
Country: United States

congrats.

i love my 1.8

grant



PetKal
Registered: Sep 06, 2007
Total Posts: 24079
Country: Canada

Congratulations, Mike.
200 f/1.8 is a treasure of a lens, and your copy looks very nice.
About five years ago I got my first one, and these two images are are from my initial test file. I was very impressed with the lens IQ then, and to this day I remain a 200 f/1.8 aficionado.



saneproduction
Registered: Nov 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1224
Country: N/A

Wow Peter! Those images are just outstanding! Thanks again so much for your help! I wouldn't/couldn't have done it without your advice!



saneproduction
Registered: Nov 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1224
Country: N/A

Love those images Grant! My comedy shows are going to be awesome, perfect example shots!



PetKal
Registered: Sep 06, 2007
Total Posts: 24079
Country: Canada

saneproduction wrote:
Wow Peter! Those images are just outstanding! Thanks again so much for your help! I wouldn't/couldn't have done it without your advice!


My pleasure, Mike........the important thing is having Helen's help.....that woman seems to get the right action going within Adorama.



saneproduction
Registered: Nov 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1224
Country: N/A

Agreed!

Helen Oster, you are AWESOME wherever you are!



saneproduction
Registered: Nov 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1224
Country: N/A

I told you about when I bougt my demo 17 TS-E from Adorama and Helen ordered me a shift knob cap (for use with camera that do not have built in flashes (overhangs)). She sent it to me and didn't even charge shipping! Helen is the reason I go to Adorama.



reno.peterson
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3077
Country: United States

The "Legendary" 200 f/1.8L is one that's on my list of lenses to own. Oh, and recommendations from Peter are definitely worthwhile. I haven't gone wrong with any of them that he's given me...My 1st, 80-200 f/2.8L "Magic Drainpipe", then 28-80 f/2.8-4L, the 300 f/4L are three of the best lenses I've used. Surely the 200 f/1.8L wouldn't disappoint either !!! Congrats on your nice acquisition!!!



saneproduction
Registered: Nov 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1224
Country: N/A

Thanks so much Reno! I will have to keep my eye out for a "pipe" once the dust settles on buying this beast. probably be spring before I get anything else.



PetKal
Registered: Sep 06, 2007
Total Posts: 24079
Country: Canada

reno.peterson wrote:
The "Legendary" 200 f/1.8L is one that's on my list of lenses to own. Oh, and recommendations from Peter are definitely worthwhile. I haven't gone wrong with any of them that he's given me...My 1st, 80-200 f/2.8L "Magic Drainpipe", then 28-80 f/2.8-4L, the 300 f/4L are three of the best lenses I've used. Surely the 200 f/1.8L wouldn't disappoint either !!! Congrats on your nice acquisition!!!


Well, Reno, it is not hard to recommend lenses of legendary reputation. Unfortunately, at the moment I am Pipeless myself, but I should remedy that soon (hopefully).

With 200 f/1.8 one has to be careful because the lenses are generally getting old and well used.
The main concern relates to deterioration of glass elements (fungus, coating loss) and AF drive impairment. If the lens is only out of AF calibration, there are several shops in Canada and USA that can remedy that.
Lastly, the lens has to be uncompromisingly sharp wide open.



Helen Oster
Registered: Dec 03, 2007
Total Posts: 931
Country: United States

saneproduction wrote:
With the help of the amazing Helen Oster, I was able to pick up a 200 F1.8L from Adorama. It will be here before the weekend!


PetKal wrote:
My pleasure, Mike........the important thing is having Helen's help.....that woman seems to get the right action going within Adorama.


saneproduction wrote:
Agreed!

Helen Oster, you are AWESOME wherever you are!

I told you about when I bought my demo 17 TS-E from Adorama and Helen ordered me a shift knob cap (for use with camera that do not have built in flashes (overhangs)). She sent it to me and didn't even charge shipping! Helen is the reason I go to Adorama.


Lovely feedback, thankyou - but truly, I couldn't do any of it without the support of the rest of the team.

Happy Holidays




bigrob
Registered: Dec 13, 2005
Total Posts: 86
Country: United Kingdom

Love my 200/2. Just got it & we have this horrible English winter light to content with !!



rolette
Registered: Dec 08, 2009
Total Posts: 466
Country: United States

PetKal wrote:
Congratulations, Mike.
200 f/1.8 is a treasure of a lens, and your copy looks very nice.
About five years ago I got my first one, and these two images are are from my initial test file. I was very impressed with the lens IQ then, and to this day I remain a 200 f/1.8 aficionado.


Can everyone else see Peter's images on this post? I've noticed in a couple of threads now that I can't see PetKal's images and they always show up with the "Edited" notice. Clicking on the "previous version" link doesn't show the images either.

Jay



reno.peterson
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3077
Country: United States

rolette wrote:Can everyone else see Peter's images on this post? I've noticed in a couple of threads now that I can't see PetKal's images and they always show up with the "Edited" notice. Clicking on the "previous version" link doesn't show the images either.
Jay


Peter is pretty diligent about pulling images and not letting them hang on the system for too long. Typically intended to demonstrate a point quickly, and then "poof"...



Grantland
Registered: Aug 17, 2002
Total Posts: 3465
Country: United States

reno.peterson wrote:
Oh, and recommendations from Peter are definitely


Oh, and recommendations from Peter are definitely expensive



Andre Goli
Registered: Feb 21, 2007
Total Posts: 1819
Country: Canada

Damned..... I am so jaleous...



rolette
Registered: Dec 08, 2009
Total Posts: 466
Country: United States

reno.peterson wrote:
Peter is pretty diligent about pulling images and not letting them hang on the system for too long. Typically intended to demonstrate a point quickly, and then "poof"...

Ah, that would have never occurred to me. That's a shame...



1
       2       3              5       6       end