Canon 5D Markii Issue...
/forum/topic/1069308/0

2       end

2DeAnn
Total Posts: 80

Looking for some help and advice on my new Canon Markii camera body. This is less than 2 months old and purchased new from reputable local camera store. Since purchase I have noticed the shutter sounds specially loud (compared to my 7D). Recently I have been attempting some lower light photography. I can't seem to get my shutter speed up. It doesn't increase, no matter how high I take my ISO settings. I have taken my ISO up to 2500, and even attached the 580 flash. Neither has helped with increasing the shutter. Still moves VERY slow. The lens I am using is the 24-105 canon lens. While I am very new to this camera, I know this isn't right.

I guess my question is...do you think there is a issue with this camera, and if so what? I'm looking for any advice prior to taking this into the camera store tomorrow.

Thanks in advance, for any advice.
Terrie

gtg844f
Total Posts: 165

You can't increase the shutter speed even in manual mode?
Doesn't 5D2 go up to 1/8000 sec?

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1689

It's probably your lens being too slow (f4). Put it in M mode and crank the shutter speed way up. Does it shoot at the shutter speed you select?

2DeAnn

That's it. I increase the shutter speed, or ISO and the shutter is still very slow! It never improves with the settings changing. I've tried all I could in changing my settings and it just doesn't improve. Still very slow movement of the shutter. Is the shutter suppose to be very loud? It's quite a bit louder, than my 7D's shutter.

artsupreme

If your shutter speed is not increasing as you increase it in M mode then yes something is wrong...is it stuck at a certain speed?

2DeAnn

It increases to view on the camera settings. But the camera is not responding as it should, when the settings are changed. I was afraid something was wrong, but I thought I'd rule out user error (me), before taking it in. I appreciate the help

artsupreme

2DeAnn wrote:
It increases to view on the camera settings. But the camera is not responding as it should, when the settings are changed. I was afraid something was wrong, but I thought I'd rule out user error (me), before taking it in. I appreciate the help

Okay, just making sure you aren't expecting to shoot low light with your f/4 lens and obtain a fast SS...your shutter speed will be slow for sure and yes the 5D shutter sounds kind of clunky compared to other bodies.

Do you have a faster lens like a nifty fifty or even a f/2.8 lens?

2DeAnn

I have the 70-200, I can give a whirl on it. I will give that a try and see if it helps with the shutter speed. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Art

Terrie

stevez32
Total Posts: 2971

So when you go into Manual "M" mode and increase the shutter speed, what is the fastest you can go? Of course the image will be dark as night probably, but you should at least be able to input the setting.

artsupreme

2DeAnn wrote:
I have the 70-200, I can give a whirl on it. I will give that a try and see if it helps with the shutter speed. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Art

Terrie

Keep in mind an f/2.8 lens is still slow if you are talking low light so you will still get slow shutter speeds indoors...turn your dial to AV, set aperture to f/2.8, put ISO at 6400, and check your shutter speed in your viewfinder as you press the shutter button (lower left #). Depending how how dark it is you might get 1/40th - 1/100th? Then point it toward a light source and you will get much higher SS speeds but the 5D shutter won't sound much "quicker" even at higher SS speeds.

2DeAnn

Well, after doing the tests with the 70-200 and using the settings and making the different shots (low light/pointed at light source). It's bang on, with what you said it would be shooting!! So in short, problem solved...it was user error. Thank you!

Thanks all for your input. Saved me a hours drive tomorrow to the camera store only to find out it was me. Also, has made me think about the nifty 50 (I'm afraid).

Terrie

artsupreme

2DeAnn wrote:
Well, after doing the tests with the 70-200 and using the settings and making the different shots (low light/pointed at light source). It's bang on, with what you said it would be shooting!! So in short, problem solved...it was user error. Thank you!

Thanks all for your input. Saved me a hours drive tomorrow to the camera store only to find out it was me. Also, has made me think about the nifty 50 (I'm afraid).

Terrie

Glad I could help. Depending on your budget, the nifty fifty is the best investment you can make for your 5D. It's basically a disposable lens that allows you to shoot in low light. Go pick one up or buy one here on the B&S boards. Or if you have the money, there are a ton of great lenses for low light - 35L, 50L, 85L, etc.

2DeAnn

I was thinking of one anyways...just haven't made the decision on which one I wanted for portraits. I was concentrating on trying to get the nitch for this new camera. As you can tell, I have a ways to go with it. I will definitely be picking one of those lenses up.

Trevor Sowers
Total Posts: 102

The shutter sounds louder than the 7D because it is a much larger mirror and shutter! Set both cameras side by side with the lenses off and just look at the difference in size between the mirrors!

LDRider
Total Posts: 1679

Have you RTFM?

JP

24Peter
Total Posts: 1431

LDRider wrote:
Have you RTFM?

JP

I may be misunderstanding what the OP's issue was, but I don't think he'd find the answer in the owner's manual. I think the problem was he was comparing the sound/responsiveness of the 5DII shutter release/mirror slap with his 7D. The 5DII is a little "slower" feeling/sounding in my experience compared to other cameras (I often refer to my 5DII as downright clunky compared to my xxD camera bodies) and am wondering if that was his issue (though like I said, I'm not really sure what he was getting at.)

searchin
Total Posts: 211

LDRider wrote:
Have you RTFM?

JP

Its like not like the OP wasted your time.....you're here cause you have some to spare

2DeAnn

Thanks Trevor...I did just that. Totally understand this now.

Really? RTFM? The manual doesn't contain the information I was asking about. Quite frankly I need to ask, have you read it? If you read through the series of questions/answers that were addressed here, you can clearly see this wasn't something addressed in the manual. Comments, like this, are one of the main reasons I don't post here often. While the many good people willing to help, far outweigh these types of comments, THEY are the reason I will/do post sometimes.

Again, thanks to those who offered me help. It is greatly appreciated.

Terrie

Photon
Total Posts: 9993

Terrie, I'm glad you got at least a few helpful replies.
It may still be worth mentioning:
1.Attaching the flash will not necessarily raise the shutter speed. If you are in Av mode, no difference unless you have set a custom function for shutter speed with flash. In Tv or Manual, of course no difference. In Program mode there are situations where without flash it might choose a slow shutter speed because the aperture is already wide open, while with flash it will default to a ss of 1/60.

2. Shutter speeds faster than 1/200 will all sound the same because of how focal plane shutters work. With the sounds of that full-frame mirror, even high ss can sound slow compared to other cameras. I realize that this was not the issue in what you described, just a parenthetical observation.

Have fun with the 5D II, and +1 to the suggestion of picking up a 50/1.8 or other fast lens. No need to start with the most expensive varieties unless the cost is not a problem for you.

Jeff Nolten
Total Posts: 1596

Terrie, you mentioned portraits. Two other fast, decent, reasonably priced lenses you could consider are the 35f2 and the 85f1.8. Especially the latter as it is very well regarded. Those were the first two primes I purchased for my film Canon and they still see regular use today.

2       end