30 1.4 OR 50 1.4
/forum/topic/1068762/0

IndyFab
Total Posts: 1007

My question would be, what are the PROS & CONS of both, then I can make a educated decision.

Trying to decide to go for the Sig 30.1.4 for crop or 50 1.4 for FF. I own both Crop & FF

Looking to use it in low light situations when needed.. General photo purposes, nothing specfic.

Anyone else been down this road.

Your thoughts...

gpop
Total Posts: 1245

sigma 30/1.4 wont fill the frame on your FF body. that's the only con I can think of. (you prolly knew that)
I rather have the 30 on a crop vs the 50 on full frame, if those are the only lens options.
the sigma is smaller, and it feels better built to me.
they have a different 'look' to them, that alone might sway you one way or the other.

robstein
Total Posts: 1219

The 50mm would give you the option to put on FF or crop.... bit of flexibility in your lens but not a biggie.

I don't own the siggy 30mm but I see more internet noise about sample variations... not sure what to make of that but a consideration anyway.

The admittedly small risk that the 30mm might stop or need rechipping on new yet to be released bodies since last I knew sigma are reversing the protocol.

As above they seem to have a different feel but subjective.

mjeffbr
Total Posts: 56

I own a sigma 30, my copy seems to be very nice, I believe the OOF vs keepers balance is ok, make sure you test it before since it is said that many have back/front focus issues

mine is very sharp in the center, love it at 1.4

IndyFab

gpop wrote:
sigma 30/1.4 wont fill the frame on your FF body. that's the only con I can think of. (you prolly knew that)
I rather have the 30 on a crop vs the 50 on full frame, if those are the only lens options.
the sigma is smaller, and it feels better built to me.
they have a different 'look' to them, that alone might sway you one way or the other.

The 2 lens mentioned is definately open for discusion, as I am open to other options in there range.

Yes aware of the strong possibility of returning to Sig for proper calibration. for sharpness & AF or find a used one with no issues..

mco_970
Total Posts: 5208

Sig 50 was flaky on my FF, better on my crop bodies. I ended up with a Canon 1.4 and am happy w/ it. Good images, no AF drama.

saneproduction
Total Posts: 1224

50 on full frame (which bodies do you have).

IndyFab

Croppers 50D & 7D
FF 5D Classic

saneproduction
Total Posts: 1224

Then I would change my reccommendation to the sigma. It is a nice lens.