Search Within Threads
/forum/topic/1068498/0

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12817

The present "search" function permits searching within selected forums but does not go down to the thread level. There are a number of threads, including one I started called Manual Focus Nikon Glass that has become quite long. We're well over 500 pages at the moment and seem to be adding new ones at a shocking pace.

Questions often come up that have been discussed before. Having a search function WITHIN the thread would make it easier for participants to follow conversations on different lenses or related topics. I don't know how that could be implemented and of course have no idea whether others would see benefit from that change, but I'd like to propose it to you Fred, as a change worth making.

Thanks again for all your great work!

montym
Total Posts: 4701

This would be a great feature! Just yesterday a subject came up and the reply was, "That was also discussed a couple hundred pages ago!" THe above thread is moving at an unbelievable pace. Missing just a few days makes it difficult to find an individual post.

Having the ability to search a thread would be a feature that would hake a great forum even better!

Thanks
Monty

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 4476

Excellent idea, Curtis.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17685

CGrindahl wrote:
The present "search" function permits searching within selected forums but does not go down to the thread level. There are a number of threads, including one I started called Manual Focus Nikon Glass that has become quite long. We're well over 500 pages at the moment and seem to be adding new ones at a shocking pace.

Questions often come up that have been discussed before. Having a search function WITHIN the thread would make it easier for participants to follow conversations on different lenses or related topics. I don't know how that could be implemented and of course have no idea whether others would see benefit from that change, but I'd like to propose it to you Fred, as a change worth making.

Thanks again for all your great work!

Isn't this already possible with the forum's search?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/search

It will find keywords or phrases from within threads. The code will also highlight what it found.

Fred

montym

Thanks for your reply.

I believe the above search method will search an entire board, not just a thread. Yes, I agree, the search will include the specific thread we would like searched, but the search result will also include results from other (unwanted) threads.

On other forums I have seen a button at the top of a thread stating, "Search THis Thread" Could this be implemented?

Thanks again!

Monty

BA-photos
Total Posts: 123

Capability to search within a particular thread could be really helpful... There are threads with 100s of pages. It would be great to search a keyword in these long threads.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12817

BA-photos wrote:
Capability to search within a particular thread could be really helpful... There are threads with 100s of pages. It would be great to search a keyword in these long threads.

There are threads with THOUSANDS of pages in them... The Nikon Manual Focus Glass thread tripped over two thousand pages today, over 40,000 posts. Searching within a thread would be very useful for folks shooting with MF glass.

montym

Please, search within a thread!!!
Other forums have this ability!!

Monty