Original 1D ?
/forum/topic/1067902/0

etcmba
Total Posts: 76

Rehabbing my tucked away but not forgotten 1D...any recs on a flash card? Can it even recognize some of the newer, larger ones? Thanks in advance for comments or suggestions to optimize performance.

TC

omarlyn
Total Posts: 4066

You can do the 'format trick' on a 4gb card…this will allow the 1D to shoot upto the 4gb capacity (more like 3.75gb in real world) even though the camera will show it as a 2gb card.

HTH,
Omar

Psychic1
Total Posts: 4547

omarlyn wrote:
You can do the 'format trick' on a 4gb card…this will allow the 1D to shoot upto the 4gb capacity (more like 3.75gb in real world) even though the camera will show it as a 2gb card.

HTH,
Omar

Is the formatting trick a secret

You format your 4 gig CF in your computer as FAT,,, instead of FAT32.

I could not do it with my XP machine, but Win 7 was not a problem.

Never had Vista.

**** You can NOT format in the camera. The camera will only see 2 gig if you do.

Jayem1
Total Posts: 2300

4gb is the max you can go with 1d, but it is like 16gb card on other newer bodies due to its smaller file size. You can not format in body though. Have to use command line to do that.

omarlyn

omarlyn wrote:
You can do the 'format trick' on a 4gb card…

Omar

Psychic1 wrote:
Is the formatting trick a secret

No, not a 'secret'…I just couldn't remember the exact command:

In Windows hit start > run (or open the Command Prompt box) Type : format X: /fs:fat /a:64K /x (X is the drive letter of the CF card).

Omar

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11756

I did the format trick. I can't remember it exactly but I remember I did it from the format 'right click' drive rather then the command prompt in windows.

1 word of warning though , NEVER format the card in body. If you format a 4gig card in body you lock it to 2gig only and it's a real pain to revert it back to 4gig. (this is before or after the format trick)

Psychic1

Omar:
A memory malfunction Time to format

omarlyn

Psychic1 wrote:
Omar:
A memory malfunction Time to format

Hmmm…I think I need to do a back-up, zero-out my data with a 35 pass format , and do a clean install!

Omar

Jayem1
Total Posts: 2300

Here is the instruction that I saved:

1) Open a command prompt window
2) Type "FORMAT X: /FS:FAT" This should force the format command to use 64K cluster size automatically. (X: is your 4GB MD drive letter)
3) After verifying 3906MB of data. You will get a warning:
4) Proceed with format using 64K cluster (Y/N) -> type and Enter
5) Wait until format is complete, enter a volumn label if you wish.
6) Open "My Computer" and right click on the 4GB MD icon and choose "Properties". Make sure the file system is FAT (and not FAT32), if incorrect, go back to step (1) and format it again.

Hope this helps.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6551

etcmba -- As has been mentioned, the 2GB card is quite large in these smaller MP cameras! I have a Nikon D1X that also has the 2GB limit on CF cards, and with its 4MP jpgs and 7.75MP RAW files, I get a lot of use from what seems small by today's standards. A couple 2GB CF cards is all you will need. I've got a Canon G6 with 7MP RAW files and I've never come close to filling a 4GB CF card on it.

Psychic1

Actually, the 4 gig CF in the 1D only holds 750 LJPG at iso800, and I can come close to filling one at the kids hockey game.

I use 64gig in the 1DsIII and 32gig in the 1DIII.

I remember 36 shots

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6551

Wow! I dont' shoot so much!!

At a two-day assignment covering a trade show at LA Convention Center, I nearly filled two 16GB cards with RAW images on 60D. And I was deleting rejects in-camera during quiet moments. PP was a bitch -- 39 hours, and I'm not that fancy. The client only wanted around 150 images total, culled from the mass. I wouldn't know how to deal with more.

ggOk
Total Posts: 657

just pick up additional 2GB CF card.. it's cheap and you can't go wrong.

Hal Olson
Total Posts: 219

I can shoot all day on a 2 gig card with a 1D. The small file size is great to work with. Hard to imagine needing 4 gig card.

LDRider
Total Posts: 1679

I only format in camera!

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11756

LDRider wrote:
I only format in camera!

?
No . As i remember formatting a 4 gig card that's had the trick performed on it will render you with just a 2 gig card. And worst still you can't just reformat in the pc and get back 4gig.
I made that mistake and had to find a utility that would return the card back to 4 gig