Canon ts-e on a Nex
/forum/topic/1067748/0

2       end

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1343

i am thinking of putting a Canon 45mm ts-e on a Nex using an adaptor. Has anyone tried this? or have any feeling about how this would work? thank you joanlvh

SKumar25
Total Posts: 1904

Probably best to post this in the alternate forum, you'll get a better response there. Lot of guys there experienced with adapting all sorts of lenses to Nex. This is more of a Canon SLR forum.

joanlvh

Will do, thanks

jzucker
Total Posts: 2491

the problem with mounting an EOS lens on the Nex is that you won't get any electrical signals. No autofocus and no aperture. In fact, there is no way to manually set the aperture on the lens while it's mounted on the nex. You would have to set the aperture on your canon, stop down the lens and dismount it and then mount it on the nex in order to get the aperture you want. The other option is to buy a more expensive adapter which has its own aperture ring.

Another issue is that you are now viewing and focusing at the stopped down settings which will be dark. If you use an adapter with its own aperture, you can focus wide open and manually set the adapter's aperture prior to exposure but it's somewhat clumsy with the adapter in place.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12001

Get an FD version of Canon tilt and shift lens; it is a 35mm f/2.8, I believe. It is a great performer but rather rare right now and not cheap either but it will work on NEX bodies with an FD-E adapter just fine.

Snopchenko
Total Posts: 2113

You could wait for the smart Canon to Sony adapter by Conurus: http://conurus.com/sony
Since you don't need operable AF anyways, it might be the best choice. By the way, Bo-Ming of Conurus is a user here (his handle is "cyberstudio"). You're getting aperture, EXIF and every camera mode.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20694

joanlvh wrote:
i am thinking of putting a Canon 45mm ts-e on a Nex using an adaptor. Has anyone tried this? or have any feeling about how this would work? thank you joanlvh

Sure, it would work. It would be worthwhile if you already have the lens. OTOH, you can buy tilt, shift and tilt-shift adapters for Nex cameras that will let you use a variety of inexpensive "alternative" lenses for T-S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIPON-Tilt-Tilt-Shift-M42-lens-Sony-NEX-5C-NEX-C3-mount-/330654254333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc8784fd

artd
Total Posts: 1134

jcolwell wrote:
joanlvh wrote:

Sure, it would work. It would be worthwhile if you already have the lens. OTOH, you can buy tilt, shift and tilt-shift adapters for Nex cameras that will let you use a variety of inexpensive "alternative" lenses for T-S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIPON-Tilt-Tilt-Shift-M42-lens-Sony-NEX-5C-NEX-C3-mount-/330654254333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc8784fd

That adapter only seems to do tilt, not shift.

troy12n
Total Posts: 829

I dont own a TS-E lens, but correct me if I am wrong, but if you used an adapter, you would loose aperture control, as it's all electronic, there is no manual aperture control to manually stop down the lens.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19804

troy12n wrote:
I dont own a TS-E lens, but correct me if I am wrong, but if you used an adapter, you would loose aperture control, as it's all electronic, there is no manual aperture control to manually stop down the lens.

Nikon G lenses which are all electronic have adapters available for Canon mount that allow you to change the aperture. I assume the same could be done for EF lenses?

jcolwell

Pixel Perfect wrote:
troy12n wrote:

Nikon G lenses which are all electronic have adapters available for Canon mount that allow you to change the aperture. I assume the same could be done for EF lenses?

I believe there's some on the market now, to control EOS apertures on m4/3 and/or Nex. I don't think any have T-S movements, yet.

cyberstudio
Total Posts: 592

Only the PC-E Nikkors are fully electronic. All the rest of the Nikon lenses use a mechanical lever to control the aperture.

Bo-Ming
conurus

joanlvh

AGeoJO wrote "Get an FD version of Canon tilt and shift lens; it is a 35mm f/2.8, I believe. It is a great performer but rather rare right now and not cheap either but it will work on NEX bodies with an FD-E adapter just fine."

reply to AGeoJO.
I did just that and having a great time trying to learn the tilt and shift concepts.

My question is why can the Nex take the old classic lens and with the aid of an adaptor, meter, where as if i try to use an old classic Nikkon lens on a new Nikon camera, I must use one of the higher end DSLR's for it to allow the Nikon classic lens to meter, a more basic consumer model will not ? thanks joanlvh

did not know exactly where to post this question

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4881

Because something needed to tell the camera what the lens is doing is missing in the connection.

This is one way in which Nikon encourages entry level users to buy new lenses, saves money not having to support legacy features/products in entry level equipment (where most users won't use legacy lenses anyway) and drives sales of higher end cameras to those who are inclined to use legacy products.

It's one of the multiple asterisks one needs to add to their statement that every F mount lens works on all Nikon SLRs. Maybe the lenses fit, but not all features are supported on all cameras. For example, how are you supposed to use a G series lens on an old film SLR?

jcolwell

joanlvh wrote:
My question is why can the Nex take the old classic lens and with the aid of an adaptor, meter, where as if i try to use an old classic Nikkon lens on a new Nikon camera, I must use one of the higher end DSLR's for it to allow the Nikon classic lens to meter, a more basic consumer model will not ? thanks joanlvh

Right place. Maybe wrong answer. Canon DSLR work fine in Av mode with Alt lenses. Some Alts have a consistent + or - EV offset, but they basically work OK on EOS DSLR bodies. Even old Nikkor glass...

h00ligan
Total Posts: 2157

There are manual aperture adapters available.

Snopchenko

Not for the EOS -> NEX I'm afraid. There's one with built-in hard vignetting control that is misnamed "aperture control" but until Bo-Ming brings his device to the market, there's no real solution.

But of course there is an adapter for Nikon -> EOS, which works even with G type lenses (aperture ring to control lever driven diaphragm in the Nikons is on the adapter itself - very smart thing). See www.16-9.net

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12001

joanlvh wrote:
AGeoJO wrote "Get an FD version of Canon tilt and shift lens; it is a 35mm f/2.8, I believe. It is a great performer but rather rare right now and not cheap either but it will work on NEX bodies with an FD-E adapter just fine."

reply to AGeoJO.
I did just that and having a great time trying to learn the tilt and shift concepts.

Well, I am glad that you can at least enjoy the tilt/shift concepts using that FD lens on your NEX.

I had a Nikon D700 before and a few older Nikkor lenses that are compatible with each other. You may want to post the question related to compatibility issues of various Nikon bodies with older/classic lenses on the Nikon forum.

h00ligan
Total Posts: 2157

Snopchenko wrote:
Not for the EOS -> NEX I'm afraid. There's one with built-in hard vignetting control that is misnamed "aperture control" but until Bo-Ming brings his device to the market, there's no real solution.

But of course there is an adapter for Nikon -> EOS, which works even with G type lenses (aperture ring to control lever driven diaphragm in the Nikons is on the adapter itself - very smart thing). See www.16-9.net

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811147-REG/Bower_ABANEXEOS_ABANEXEOS_Adapter_for_Canon.html

I believe there are other brands as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by vignetting control, I thought it manually created an aperture, so that the only thing suffering was potentially bokeh.

Snopchenko

Adapters like this were reported to be creating hard vignetting because the extra "aperture" is placed behind the last element and doesn't marry well with the design of some lenses. Of course it's only a (crude) workaround until a proper EOS to NEX adapter is released.

The opening also looks way too small for many lenses in the specimen you posted.

2       end