Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?
/forum/topic/1067552/0

wilsocn
Total Posts: 147

Does anyone have any experience with non Canon brand batteries for the camera? A friend and I are taking a road trip to various national parks in the southwest at the end of the month and I would like to take along a couple of extra batteries but I have spent a small fortune this month already so I am looking into the generic batteries.

I am not too concerned with them holding a charge as long as the Canon battery that I have but I am just curious if there is any way a cheap battery could be bad for the camera. I read some of the reviews and some say that the voltages are different so would that affect the camera in ways other than just possibly giving an incorrect battery measure?

I am basically looking for some extra power until I can get back to a hotel and charge my original.

Thanks everyone

These are the batteries that I was looking at on Amazon. They will go into a T3i.
http://www.amazon.com/LP-E8-Equivalent-Battery-Canon-Rebel/dp/B003CVLTCW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323442675&sr=1-2

qwyjibo
Total Posts: 944

Not sure about generics for a rebel, but I've used the lenmar version for a 5D and haven't had any problems. A search of the forum will probably give you some good info as well.
Have a great trip,
Dave

sjms
Total Posts: 19381

sterlingtek
www.sterlingtek.com

EB-1
Total Posts: 22887

I've not very good experiences with the generics. They are not necessarily bad for the cameras but I would not rely on them exclusively.

EBH

erikburd
Total Posts: 578

I use generics with my 450D. They work very well, just as good as the Canon branded battery that came with the camera.

sjms
Total Posts: 19381

EB-1 wrote:
I've not very good experiences with the generics. They are not necessarily bad for the cameras but I would not rely on them exclusively.

EBH

i concur

jefferies1
Total Posts: 2632

I have used generic as extras without any problems in 20D -30D up to 5D. In the new model battery for the 5DII and 60D that had the charge shown as part of the menu you need to make sure the battery works with it. They will advertise it is compatable with standard charger. At $15.00 each I like having a few around.

I have seen both made by the same manufacturer. The non-matching advertised it came with it's own charger as they will NOT work with the Canon. That is the one to stay away from...any providing a charger battery combo.

delthedog
Total Posts: 216

sjms wrote:
sterlingtek
www.sterlingtek.com

+1

rick_reno
Total Posts: 276

I've never used an off brand battery, seen too many horror stories. I stick with Canon.

cwebster
Total Posts: 3426

I've used nothing but Stirlingtek batteries in my 300D, 30D, and 50D for almost 10 years with excellent success.

<Chas>

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6765

I have generic batteries in addition to Canon brand for 1D2/1Ds2, 5D/G6, and 60D. A combination for US purchased and HK/China-made. All work great and are a terrific savings. We I bought aftermarket Chinese grip for 60D, I ordered the two extra battery option, and picked up one more, so I have two sets of two - great for any assignment of two days. And cheap!

sifpandor
Total Posts: 1204

delthedog wrote:
sjms wrote:
sterlingtek
www.sterlingtek.com

+1

Another +1 for Sterlingtek

-- Mark

rdcny
Total Posts: 1064

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370564508268

I've used these for the past four months without a problem...they are the higher capacity batteries.

DLP
Total Posts: 2505

I've been using Sterlingtek four years now in several different bodies and no issues at all.

Dave

M635_Guy
Total Posts: 2383

I've worked in the PC Industry for about 20 years, most of that in the area of peripherals, which includes batteries, so I have some parallel experience here.

There is a bit of risk with the non-OEM batteries, but in the unlikely event that you have an issue that will cause damage it is almost always during charging, so the risk to your camera is fairly small (which isn't true for PC's - knockoffs can be a big issue there...).

More likely, you won't get the performance or longevity of the OEM battteries, but as backups you aren't worrying about that much.

freakboy
Total Posts: 52

delthedog wrote:
sjms wrote:
sterlingtek
www.sterlingtek.com

+1

+2

i've used them for years.

Wayne Crumm
Total Posts: 500

Sterlingtek here also. Great service.

matt4626
Total Posts: 1022

Sterlingtek

runamuck
Total Posts: 7104

I hate to pile on here, but I've been using Sterlingtek batteries for years.