Suggestions for lens
/forum/topic/1067178/0

tarheelmatt
Total Posts: 36

Hello everyone,

I am not that keen on Canon products. I shoot the "other" brand, however, my cousin asked my advice on a lens for her daughter for Christmas. I asked her questions about what do you think she wants to do, but received a general answer. With that said, she indicated she wanted to spend $400 or less on lens. She currently has the 18-55mm kit lens only.

Question is, what is a good walk around lens for Canon? Maybe a 35 or 50mm 1.8 prime or something around that area. Or if a nice longer tele that is around the price point. Something with better IQ than the kit lens that also is better in low light situations.

As indicated, there is a budget of $400 (or less).

Jefferson
Total Posts: 4478

The Canon 50 f/1.4 is in that range, and many pros use it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html

Jefferson

This may also be a choice you may like

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12182-USA/Canon_2519A003_85mm_f_1_8_USM_Autofocus.html

tarheelmatt

Thank you Jefferson! I will check that out.

reno.peterson
Total Posts: 3077

Does "her daughter" understand all the reasons and benefits of upgrading? Aperture, shutter speeds, ISO, lighting, composition and they way they all relate? If "her daughter" is shooting in green mode and is happy that way, don't suggest any gear. Is she interested in photography for the sake of creating images or just taking snapshots? There's a huge difference. If she does, understand all that and has a decent knowledge of Manual, AV and TV modes, then maybe a fixed focal length would be a very nice addition, and the Canon 35 f/2 or Sigma 30 f/1.4 might be great considerations for her.

surf monkey
Total Posts: 2595

tarheelmatt wrote:
I am not that keen on Canon products. I shoot the "other" brand, however, my cousin asked my advice on a lens for her daughter for Christmas. I asked her questions about what do you think she wants to do, but received a general answer. With that said, she indicated she wanted to spend $400 or less on lens.

I think a good starting point would be to take a look at what you would suggest to her if she had that "other" brand. If you can answer this, then maybe there is a Canon equivalent and probably for less money.

surf monkey

tarheelmatt wrote:
Question is, what is a good walk around lens for Canon? Maybe a 35 or 50mm 1.8 prime or something around that area. Or if a nice longer tele that is around the price point. Something with better IQ than the kit lens that also is better in low light situations.

In regards to these choices, especially if you can stretch the budget:
Canon 50f1.4 (although 50mm is quite long on a crop DSLR)
Tamron 17-50f2.8 non-IS around $500
Canon 70-200f4 used for around $500

quicksilver33
Total Posts: 206

Take a look at the EFS 60mm (macro) and the 85mm f1.8 lenses. Or if you want to go wide I think the Tokina 12-24 f/4 is in that price range.

tarheelmatt

Reno,

Yes, I do think she has an understanding of upgrading and apparently has addressed this with her mother. Her daughter is away at school and so I have not spoke with the daughter. However, I have witnessed her pictures that include a mixture of snapshots and creating her own work. She is a sophomore in college, so the snapshots can be justified (lol). From what was portrayed to me she was looking for a good walk around lens. To me a walk around lens mean something that can handle low light well and includes good IQ.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have been looking at B&H and Adorama and have read many reviews till my head is spinning. Thought I would ask here to get some feedback.

M Vers
Total Posts: 10982

surf monkey wrote:
In regards to these choices, especially if you can stretch the budget:
Canon 50f1.4 (although 50mm is quite long on a crop DSLR)
Tamron 17-50f2.8 non-IS around $500

This. I'll throw Sigma's 30/1.4 into the ring as well.

tarheelmatt

surf monkey wrote:
tarheelmatt wrote:
I am not that keen on Canon products. I shoot the "other" brand, however, my cousin asked my advice on a lens for her daughter for Christmas. I asked her questions about what do you think she wants to do, but received a general answer. With that said, she indicated she wanted to spend $400 or less on lens.

I think a good starting point would be to take a look at what you would suggest to her if she had that "other" brand. If you can answer this, then maybe there is a Canon equivalent and probably for less money.

Well, that is what I was doing, but I was deeply afraid I would miss out on something that I did not find. I know Nikon lenses, and a good walk around for me is a 35 1.8 or the 50 1.4. However, some of the third party lenses are as good if not better. Just making sure I don't over see something that is all.

surf monkey

M Vers wrote:

That focal length makes more sense to me for a crop DSLR.

M Vers
Total Posts: 10982

surf monkey wrote:
M Vers wrote:

Especially as a general purpose/walk around prime. Both the 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 are good on APS-C as well, but they are far less versatile, IMO.

tarheelmatt

surf monkey wrote:
M Vers wrote:

Yea, sometimes on my D300 the 50mm 1.4 is not wide enough and too long. Depends on the location. Indoors, forget about the 50mm.

TrojanHorse
Total Posts: 2747

Maybe you should consider the 55-250 IS - it's about $200 and would give her something much longer than the lens she has.

If she's unhappy with the 18-55 kit lens, there are tamron and sigma alternatives in your price range that work very well.

tarheelmatt

Trojan,

Thank you. I will check out all these lenses and see what I have to work with. I do appreciate the help all. You guy's were very helpful.