24-70 Stuck Aperture
/forum/topic/1066554/0

rcheliphotog
Total Posts: 426

Hey everyone,

My ever-reliable 24-70L has been acting up today. It started with my camera (1dIIn) refusing to shoot with error 01. I cleaned the contacts and tried another lens and had no trouble shooting. I put the 24-70 back on and pressed the manual aperture buttons and the blades locked to f/ 8 and now they refuse to go back. Obviously the issue here is the lens. I did some searching and couldn't find any instances of people having this problem with the 24-70, so I just wanted to know if there's anything I can try before sending this thing off to canon

thanks

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11635

Search on these forums, I cannot remember the way they did it, but it's like the DoF preview button and setting different f/stops.

That blows, because any sick 24-70 makes my heart hurt.

graycat
Total Posts: 237

My was getting to where it just didn't seem to be as consistently sharp as it once was and I had purchased it used a few years ago. I spoke with TF camera repair who has repaired two other lenses for me and was told that there is a common part in the 24-70 L that gets worn out. I think he called it a "key" or something like that. It is the most common repair on that lens. Round trip on the repair, to include the shipping was about $240. Don't know if that is your issue but it is worth checking.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11635

graycat wrote:
My was getting to where it just didn't seem to be as consistently sharp as it once was and I had purchased it used a few years ago. I spoke with TF camera repair who has repaired two other lenses for me and was told that there is a common part in the 24-70 L that gets worn out. I think he called it a "key" or something like that. It is the most common repair on that lens. Round trip on the repair, to include the shipping was about $240. Don't know if that is your issue but it is worth checking.

Bushing around screws can be worn out. Allegedly canon service does this repair either free or discounted...I don't know it to be true or false.

I would think there would be a service advisory about it if there was an issue. However I also use my 24-70 pretty often and it's as good as the day I bought it.