Three from the last couple of days.
/forum/topic/1065122/0

penpro
Total Posts: 780

Loved the color of this, no idea what it is. Looks like a little yellow brain growing out of the log.

1:

Mellow Yellow / PEN_5504 by PEN Productions / Paul Neale, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/5.3
Focal Length 95 mm
ISO Speed 2500
Exposure Bias -1 EV

Would have loved to have a proper macro lens for this.

2:

Moss / PEN_5491 by PEN Productions / Paul Neale, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 150 mm
ISO Speed 1600

Rainy day photo seeing if I could get that soft quite feel.

3:

PEN_5467 by PEN Productions / Paul Neale, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/5.3
Focal Length 95 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV

cgardner
Total Posts: 9376

The yellow stuff appears to be yellow brian fungus also known as witches butter: http://www.ontariowildflower.com/fungi.htm#witchesbutter

As for C&C on the photos I'd like the first two more cropped tighter and the third lighter so more detail can be seen.

penpro

Yep that looks just like it, has to be it. I will try lightening the last and see if other crops work. Thanks again for the feedback. What other forum might these be poste in? Nothing seemed to fit for the first two.

tom lozinski
Total Posts: 102

Really nice work. I might try to crop the blurry foreground out of the second shot?

penpro

Thanks Tom

AuntiPode
Total Posts: 7019

"BRAINS...."

I quite like the first. Appealing color contrast, texture and compo.

krason
Total Posts: 67

I would second the cropping suggestion. I like what you've done with the shots, but I personally would suggest focusing in more on the subject. I took a stab at one crop possibility. Less distraction. I would like to caveat this with (I'm still learning too). :-)

I love shot 3 though I wish the dark areas were a little brighter. If another opportunity like this comes up you might want to consider bracketing and running some HDR software on the results. I'm just learning about HDR processing myself. But some details in the grass in front would really help this photo.

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

sbeme
Total Posts: 17894

Paul,
All three have beautiful colors.
The last is my favorite.
Beautifully composed, framed and a pretty scene.
I think it benefits from some overall increase in exposure and some exposure bump especially in the grasses at the bottom. Did a bit more subtle dodging and shadow recovery for the result below.
Some is a matter of taste, and the mood does shift.
What do you think? One could easily go further.
Scott

penpro

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the crop on the moss Kevin but there is something that I like about the moss continuing up into the background as well. I guess it is the depth that it gives the shot. I might play with it more and see if I can retain a bit more of that and get it tighter in as that is what I like about the crop you suggest.

Scott, the mood does change, that is why I left it flatter and darker. Trying for that dreary damp feel, did I get that? Again I do like the values pushed a little more so again I will play when I get a chance to see if I can retain the feel I was going for and still bump it up a bit more. I already pushed the colours in the foreground from where they were in the original, maybe a little hotter and some more contrast there might bring them forward in the shot more.

Once again thanks for the input. Always learning.

penpro

AuntiPode wrote:
"BRAINS...."

I quite like the first. Appealing color contrast, texture and compo.

That is the one that I like the best of the three as well but it is also the one that I get the least comments on. It is the stark contrast in colour and values as well as a topic that you are just not that sure what it is at first glance that I like.