So I get a 14-24...
/forum/topic/1064103/0

MikeW
Total Posts: 1939

and it won't stop bucketing down outside Can't even get out of the house....grrr

On the upside, I am now a happy owner of the Nikon Zoom Trinity...woohoo...damn forums, sending me broke

ct8282
Total Posts: 2199

I bought the 14-24 last weekend and it had its first proper thrashing yesterday at an indoor baby photo shoot. All I can say is, wow!! The only problem was I didn't realise just how close I was to my subject and nearly ended up with a baby hand print on the beautiful front element a couple of times. Performance wise though, this lens is staggering. Enjoy!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7630

Bummer on the rain, I haven't heard of Noah building another Ark yet. Surely there's somewhere outside to shoot, pitch a tent and shoot out from inside if you have to Congrats on getting the new lens!

MikeW

We have a wind & rain warning in effect, the rain is going sideways, though right now it is still outside, when the sun is up I'll sneak out

The build quality is definitely amazing & it is scarey at the same time looking at that front glass.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7630

Looking forward to those "test shots" when you get 'em. I'd be shooting some interiors in the meantime!

paul weston
Total Posts: 269

If i had to deal with all the rain you people get in BC i would be in the corner of a dark room chewing on my fingernails. !

Send your lense to me and i will give her a workout, i will even pay shipping.

ecidi
Total Posts: 2095

Take a photo of a flower indoors and the images will blow you away, even wide open shots. I got photos to prove it. Enjoy the lens!. Take good care of the front element. It sticks far out from the front edge of the built-in lens hood, it will be easy to scratch the glass.

Misty Mountain
Total Posts: 65

I just got my 14-24 coupled with my new D3s which completes my lens "trinity" as well. I live just south of you in Seattle so I have similar weather issues. Time to check out some indoor shooting with the 14-24! :-(

MikeW

The black friday deals are just too good to pass up I see

Henrys.com has it for $1629, I got London Drugs to pricematch so I had it the same day

MikeW

quick pic while the sun actually came out, its gone again now

This is SOOC & not pretty, I'm working so I shot it from the front door :P I like the flare control shooting into the sun

mobcoa247
Total Posts: 214

This is one of those lenses..you didn't realize you needed till you get it then your like omg how did I survive without it. Yes its that good.

Steve Perry
Total Posts: 4520

Congrats! People say it's the favorite lens they don't use, but I know I love mine. Just think UWA!

euua
Total Posts: 1823

lens is weather sealed so go ahead and have some gun in the rain !!!
Took this lens few times under Niagara Falls for some outstanding UWA shoots - no issues with a little fall drops

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Bummer on the rain, I haven't heard of Noah building another Ark yet. Surely there's somewhere outside to shoot, pitch a tent and shoot out from inside if you have to Congrats on getting the new lens!

Alan321
Total Posts: 9856

Well if you are stuck inside then at least the 14-24 is the sort of lens that will capture the whole room at once.

I love the lens but I have only limited use for it so maybe it is my favorite unused lens.

The key things with this lens are (1) take extra care to keep your feet out of the picture and (2) realise that ultra wide angle shots usually (but not always) look best if there is something of interest up close (usually very close) as well as in the background. This often means getting down close to the ground or whatever that foreground subject is.

If you're not used to UWA then it might pay to approach subjects with both eyes open because with only the viewfinder image as your guide you can be way closer than you thought to things that might scratch your front lens element. It's an interesting experiment to approach something safe until it fills the screen and then see how close you are.

- Alan

utildayael
Total Posts: 452

Steve Perry wrote:
Congrats! People say it's the favorite lens they don't use, but I know I love mine. Just think UWA!

I say that all the time.

It's just way way way too wide on FX for most things but for the things where you need < 24mm, it's king and 14mm FX is fun.

If I'm shooting at 24mm I'll pull out my 24 PC-E instead.