/forum/topic/1009161/220

1       2       3              220      
       222              224       225       end

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2419

I think Zm 50/1.5 is att great lens on A7
Some shots

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=59004610@N02&q=Zeiss%20sonnar

As you say.. The question comes down to do you want optical perfection (the FE 55) or do you want the character of the 50 1.5 ?

Sony A7 + Zeiss Sonnar 50 1.5 ZM von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 4 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

carstenw
Total Posts: 15778

A quiet neighbourhood in Berlin:

D800, ZF.2 35/1.4 @ f/8:

arduluth
Total Posts: 199

sebboh wrote:

arduluth wrote:
sebboh wrote:
arduluth wrote:
I'm on my phone and can't see the larger images at the moment... But how is the field curvature of the G 28mm on the A7? It's pretty noticeable on my 5R, I assumed it'd make the lens unusable on the A7.

most people think it makes it unusable, i think its still pretty useful for certain types of shots, particularly closer up. much of the character comes through despite the crazy field curvature.

stopped down landscape stuff works better if you focus to ~3-5m instead of infinity.

here's some full sized samples i posted a while back: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1260613/1#12366716

Sometimes it work in my favor, sometimes it drives me nuts. Wide open, the curve is such that you can do some fun things in the corner thirds. The edges and corners can get quite sharp wide open when you focus for them, at least on crop - breaks my heart a bit.

Your samples look pretty good - not as different from my 5R as I'd been led to believe. Are these corrected for color shift?

nope, no corrections applied. color shift isn't too bad on the a7 (but is on the a7r).

Have you ever compared the C/Y Distagon 28mm f/2.8 with the G 28mm? If so, thoughts? I've seen some discussion of it before, but mostly in general terms (what to expect from a Biogon on digital vs Distagon, etc).

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5743

Someone might want to jump on this deal...

Zeiss ZF.2 Distagon 35/1.4 (EX+) with caps and hood for $1272 @KEH

I was tooling around their new site, figuring things out, and I came across it. Oddly enough, I couldn't find it listed on the classic site.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10639

arduluth wrote:
sebboh wrote:

arduluth wrote:
sebboh wrote:
arduluth wrote:
I'm on my phone and can't see the larger images at the moment... But how is the field curvature of the G 28mm on the A7? It's pretty noticeable on my 5R, I assumed it'd make the lens unusable on the A7.

most people think it makes it unusable, i think its still pretty useful for certain types of shots, particularly closer up. much of the character comes through despite the crazy field curvature.

stopped down landscape stuff works better if you focus to ~3-5m instead of infinity.

here's some full sized samples i posted a while back: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1260613/1#12366716

Sometimes it work in my favor, sometimes it drives me nuts. Wide open, the curve is such that you can do some fun things in the corner thirds. The edges and corners can get quite sharp wide open when you focus for them, at least on crop - breaks my heart a bit.

Your samples look pretty good - not as different from my 5R as I'd been led to believe. Are these corrected for color shift?

nope, no corrections applied. color shift isn't too bad on the a7 (but is on the a7r).

Have you ever compared the C/Y Distagon 28mm f/2.8 with the G 28mm? If so, thoughts? I've seen some discussion of it before, but mostly in general terms (what to expect from a Biogon on digital vs Distagon, etc).

nope, never compared. pictures i've seen on film make the g 28 look better, but on the a7 the c/y definitely has better corners.

shot with the g45 on the a7 at f/2.2:

Ronny _Olsson

Sony A7 + Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm+20mm von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 4 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

arduluth

sebboh wrote:
arduluth wrote:
sebboh wrote:

arduluth wrote:
sebboh wrote:
arduluth wrote:

nope, never compared. pictures i've seen on film make the g 28 look better, but on the a7 the c/y definitely has better corners.

Ack, you had to go and bring up the G45... Any thoughts on the G45 vs the C/Y Planar 50mm f/1.7? Other than ergonomics, that is.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10639

arduluth wrote:

sebboh wrote:
arduluth wrote:
sebboh wrote:

arduluth wrote:
sebboh wrote:
arduluth wrote:

Ack, you had to go and bring up the G45... Any thoughts on the G45 vs the C/Y Planar 50mm f/1.7? Other than ergonomics, that is.

the g45 is way better in sharpness and contrast (ok there is a limit to how much better a lens can be than the 50/1.7) with a little better bokeh (still sucks beyond 1.5 meters). basically from f/2 to f/8 the the g45 is a little more than a stop better than the c/y eg. the g45 is slightly better at f/4 than the c/y at f/5.6. also, the ergonomics of my g45 are better than those of any c/y lens (due to some custom modifications) .

another shot with it at f/2.2:

arduluth

Hmm. I might watch for a good price on one of those, then.

I love my C/Y 50/1.7 from f/2.8 on, but it isn't great below that. I think the Nikkor 50/1.8 AI I inherited beats it in contrast and sharpness wide open, though I want to do a more careful test to confirm. I also like the C/Y's bokeh at f/2.8 and above, though it isn't great wide open.

carstenw

D800, ZF.2 85/1.4 @ f/2.8:

carstenw

D800, ZF.2 21/2.8 @ f/8, Silver Efex for grain and darkened edges:

thminhduc
Total Posts: 62

Zeiss Contax 120mm f/4 APO

Zeiss Contax 120mm f/4 APO or Zeiss Contax 80mm f/2

Ronny _Olsson

Great shots carstenw !

Sony A7 + Zeiss Sonnar 50 1.5 ZM von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 4 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

arduluth

Here are three from a recent concert by my favorite band, Low. I'm new to taking concert photography, but I'm pretty happy with these photos and how the Contax Planar 50mm f/1.7 performed in this environment.

The rest of the images from this show can be found in my Flickr album, The Current Does Duluth.

Contax Planar 50mm f/1.7 at f/2.0 on NEX-5R

Flickr: Alan Sparhawk of LOW by diogenic

Flickr: Mimi Parker of LOW by diogenic

Flickr: Steve Garrington of LOW by diogenic

freaklikeme

A couple of shots with the a7r and Hassy S-Planar 135 on Mamiya Auto-Bellows N. First is a single shot wide open at 1:1, shifted to correct framing, no tilt. Second is a 13-shot pano, f/16 at 1:1, no shift but some tilt.

a7r_SPlanar135_Pollen by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

a7r_SPlanar135_In_Progress by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

carstenw

Pretty damn cool! Do you have a photo of your setup?

rico
Total Posts: 3867

Cool work with the SP135! I always wanted to try it: great MTF, specs, and a handy leaf shutter.

freaklikeme

carstenw wrote:
Pretty damn cool! Do you have a photo of your setup?

Sure. I had an old one posted previously, but that was before I had all the adapters to be able to do the circular panos. From left to right, itís cheap Chinese B50 hood, S-Planar, Hassy to M645 adapter, Mamiya Auto-Bellows N, Kipon M645 to EF shift adapter, Ommlite EF to E adapter, and a7r.

a7_Lux35_The_Rig by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Hereís a few showing a bit more range on the lens (which can get to infinity on this rig). This first one was a full rotational pano cropped.

a7r_SPlanar135_Closed by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Three shot pano (camera in portrait orientation)Ö

a7_SPlanar135_Smile by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Three shot pano with the lens fully shifted up (rotational panos are not optimal if itís focused beyond about a meter and shifted)Ö

a7_SPlanar135_Open_wallet_here by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Finally, hereís a couple with Planar 80/2.8, both full rotational panos and cropped. This one does not get to infinity. The second shot is as far away as I can get from the subject at f/16 and get it in focus.

a7_Planar80_Strawberries by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

a7r_Planar80_Danger by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

freaklikeme

rico wrote:
Cool work with the SP135! I always wanted to try it: great MTF, specs, and a handy leaf shutter.

Thanks, Rico. I'm not making good us of the leaf shutter, but the lens is spectacular.

AhamB
Total Posts: 5023

freaklikeme wrote:
rico wrote:

Thanks, Rico. I'm not making good us of the leaf shutter, but the lens is spectacular.

How do you use the leaf shutter together with the A7?

1       2       3              220      
       222              224       225       end