Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/218

1       2       3              218      
       220              249       250       end

arduluth
Total Posts: 1404

Mescalamba wrote:
Arent both affected by pretty strong field curvate?

The G Biogon certainly is. I've never had the Distagon, though I've read that it does. The Biogon isn't perfect in the corners at f/8, but good enough for me at f/5.6 or f/8 for the landscapes I do.

sebboh
Total Posts: 12609

arduluth wrote:
Mescalamba wrote:
Arent both affected by pretty strong field curvate?

The G Biogon certainly is. I've never had the Distagon, though I've read that it does. The Biogon isn't perfect in the corners at f/8, but good enough for me at f/5.6 or f/8 for the landscapes I do.

that was my view as well. corners are pretty sharp on the 16mp nex sensor at f/11.

i don't think the distagon's field curvature will show up much on aps-c.

briantho
Total Posts: 1122

My first images with the Zeiss 24/1.8 on NEX-5r. I like this lens alot...

Djurgården by briantho, on Flickr

Old tree by briantho, on Flickr

Cissi by briantho, on Flickr

It focuses very close too...

Bee by briantho, on Flickr

Bee by briantho, on Flickr

Kalainen
Total Posts: 210

Season of Touit - Picture 8
Week 36, Saturday - The Landscape mode
"Ultra wide-angle lenses are often considered to be special lenses for special purposes, especially a lens as wide as the Touit 2.8/12. Having used the lens for couple of weeks now, I've really grown to like the focal length it offers (but not mastered though) and I think the special label is somewhat misleading. There are at least two simple ways of using it in any photography. Firstly, one can use the wide angle to cover as much as possible of the entire view seen by the eye. In my mind this is the 'landscape mode' and the Touit 2.8/12, of course, works great here. [...]"

Read full post at my blog: http://www.yearofthealpha.com

-Toni

WhyFi
Total Posts: 262

C/Y Distagon 28 -

Snacking on dandelion greens by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

robin bush
Total Posts: 105

Canon 1ds3 Contax 21mm

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

Sony A7 + Zeiss Sonnar 50 1.5 ZM by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

sebboh
Total Posts: 12609

still getting a feel for the wide open performance of the rollei 50/1.4:

Kalainen

Season of Touit - Picture 9
Week 37, Wednesday - Poor little daisy
"While I've been sharing my experiences with the Touit 2.8/12 & Touit 2.8/50M for couple of weeks now, I have avoided the most obvious topic: the image quality. Image quality in itself is of course a complex subject and I am not an optical engineer neither I have the technical know-how to evaluate the most microscopic qualities of the optical performance – therefore I will mostly speak about my experience. But this is not the reason of my avoidance regarding this topic. The truth is that I find the topic of 'image quality' to be very exaggerated and sometimes even distorted in photography related forums and therefore that it is challenging to write about it without being interpreted by this exaggerated hype. [...]"

-Toni

Kalainen

Season of Touit - Picture 10
Week 37, Saturday - The Obsession with Sharpness
"The Touit 2.8/12 is very sharp right from the wide open at f/2.8 and doesn't really increase after that even if stopped down a bit – although the focus area increases and makes the image feel sharper in total. What I like about the Touit 2.8/12 is that the sharpness extends to edges as well, particularly if the subject is close focused. When focusing into far objects, like landscape for example, the sharpness doesn't strike as superb, but might also be because things get rather small in the image field due to small focal length. [...]"

-Toni

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 7223

A couple with the Hassy Planar 80 wide open on the a7, used mostly because it was on the camera, but it didn't disappoint me.

a7_Planar80_DogTV by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

a7_Planar80_Frankie by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Kalainen

Season of Touit - Picture 11
Week 38, Wednesday - The obsession with contrast & colors
"When I received the Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 & Touit 2.8/50M I immediately noticed, already from the camera's LCD, that the pictures I took looked somehow different from what was common with my Sony E-mount lenses (SEL1855 & SEL50F18). It's difficult to put in words, but I would say more vibrant and subtle regarding the overall look. Having used them for over month now, I can say for certain that these lenses deliver more contrast and have better colors than my usual lenses. Better contrast shows with greater clarity in pictures and [...]"

-Toni

Kalainen

Season of Touit - Picture 12
Week 38, Saturday - Lemons
"Now that I've praised the Touit 2.8/12 & Touit 2.8/50M with my earlier posts, it's time to look at the limitations and compromises. It can be all good, or can it? There must be at least one lemon buried there somewhere? In all seriousness, it is very difficult to find something wrong about the Touit 2.8/12. I mean it's small, it has great image quality, relatively large maximum aperture, distortion is nothing to worry about and works well in all kinds of situations. While the Touit 2.8/12 is a great lens, I feel, like any other reviewer, that I'm in the risk of losing my credibility if I don't find anything to criticize. [...]"

-Toni

Kalainen

Season of Touit - Picture 13
Week 39, Wednesday - Sea of Light
"Today's picture is something that was already shot some time ago. And it was actually taken by Sari, Aura's mother, while me and Aura were playing in the lake. One of my favorites of this summer for sure. There are two reasons why I wanted to include this picture in to 'Season of Touit'. First of all it's a good example how nice the Touit 2.8/50M can be shooting in standard range. Even though it is labeled as a macro lens, many times it works very nicely in standard photography too. The second reason is that the picture also exemplifies the optical quality of this lens [...]"

-Toni

cyra
Total Posts: 822

I played around a little with BW in the attempt to make some otherwise rather boring pictures a bit more interesting. Not sure it helped. Negative vignette added as well.
What do you think?

all ZF 25/2.8

Trockene Klammen SW-7001569 by cyra.engl, on Flickr

Trockene Klammen SW-7001604-2 by cyra.engl, on Flickr

Trockene Klammen SW-7001577 by cyra.engl, on Flickr

Trockene Klammen SW-7001581 by cyra.engl, on Flickr

Kalainen

Weel the forest as such can be a little unharmonous when it comes to colors. Going for BW makes them better it that way.

Kalainen

Season of Touit - Picture 14
Week 39, Saturday - Shadow Theatre
"Getting back to Zeiss story I think I've now examined the Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 and Touit 2.8/50M from a technical point of view, and I feel I should concentrate on other aspects as well. To me part of the Zeiss appeal comes from the fact that Zeiss is over one hundred years old company and they has been manufacturing lenses for a long time, probably longer than any other of the current companies. This means history and with a history comes a tradition. The current Zeiss is, of course, not the same one as in the past and other companies have their traditions as well, but maybe because of this self comprehension the Zeiss offers more information and history about their lenses than others. [...]"

-Toni

arduluth

Contax G 90mm f/2.8 on NEX-5R

Lincoln Park by diogenic

Kalainen

Season of Touit - Picture 15
Week 40, Wednesday - Getting closer
"With the last post I wrote tradition and Zeiss. Now I would like to tell you about another side of it, since when there is a tradition and culture, there also a community of people. For what I've understood the Zeiss community is spread across different manufacturers, camera models, their specific mounts and works in many different internet forums (I haven't been able to find any main place, but at Fred Miranda there are loads of Zeiss users). In digital age the communities that are build around specific products and brands, like Zeiss, are also a part of the 'user experience' and can be understood as a resource which might enhance your physical use of the product. [...]"

-Toni

arduluth

Contax G 45mm f/2 on NEX-5R

There is quite a bit of wooded land next to where I work. It's a great place to do some hiking over lunch. There is a short stretch of trail lined with dead sumac that often feels quite ominous. There's something about the color, texture, and shape of dead sumac that resembles bones. I've taken a lot of pictures at this spot in the trail over the years, but this is the first time I've been able to get a picture that (I hope) conveys this.

Bones (Sumac) by diogenic

1       2       3              218      
       220              249       250       end