Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/216

1       2       3              216      
       218              227       228       end

WhyFi
Total Posts: 82

Still haven't had a chance to get out and play with it, but my Distagon 28/2.8 arrived yesterday evening. One of my first shots - nothing spectacular, but does show some of the rendering that I was after, so I think I'll be happy -

(Test Shot) New Toys... by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

Mike Ganz
Total Posts: 1965

Shot during a scouting mission for vantage points at Palo Duro Canyon here in Texas. Both shot with a Canon 5D2 with a C/Y 35-70/3.4 with polarizer. Love the lens and makes for light hiking setup, but beginning to grow a bit weary with the rotating barrel when shooting with filters.

arduluth
Total Posts: 271

Hikers in Copper Falls State Park (WI)
Contax 50mm f/1.7 at f/2.8 on NEX-5R

Flickr: Hikers by diogenic

WhyFi

^^^ I was up in your neck of the woods the last few days. Taken with the C/Y 2.8/28

Canal Lighthouse by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

Grenache
Total Posts: 1940

^ cool fog. Neat how the foreground is sharp, and the background totally disappears!
Ronny, love the coast shots.
Benjamin, great variety. I particularly like the BW sculpture.

A couple model shots with 2/100. People are not my usual subjects.

Jim

Style Points by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Retrotastic by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

WhyFi

Gah! I hate seeing photos from the 100/2 - it makes me want one pretty badly.

Grenache wrote:
^ cool fog. Neat how the foreground is sharp, and the background totally disappears!

Thanks - it was an interesting night! Here's a couple more -

Anchor aweigh! II by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

Anchor aweigh! by heightsfidelity, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

arduluth

WhyFi wrote:
^^^ I was up in your neck of the woods the last few days. Taken with the C/Y 2.8/28

Canal Lighthouse by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

Nice! I'd reciprocate, but the only photos I have of the lighthouse and pier are from non-Zeiss lenses.

I like the anchor - there's something surreal about the smooth lavender backdrop made by the fog.

WhyFi

arduluth wrote:
Nice! I'd reciprocate, but the only photos I have of the lighthouse and pier are from non-Zeiss lenses.

I like the anchor - there's something surreal about the smooth lavender backdrop made by the fog.

Ha - I literally didn't take a shot with another lens the three days we were up there, so I can't really share anywhere but here.

I assume that you're getting that for pretty regularly right now? We had it two of the three days. It was rather surreal to be in an almost completely deserted Canal Park, hearing the fog horns bellow on the lake.

Here's one of the few non-foggy Canal Park shots that I took. Really loving the sharpness, contrast, color and sense of depth from this little lens.

Gates by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

arduluth

WhyFi wrote:
I assume that you're getting that for pretty regularly right now? We had it two of the three days. It was rather surreal to be in an almost completely deserted Canal Park, hearing the fog horns bellow on the lake.

Yeah, it comes and goes. It's been gorgeous the last two days, at least up the hill a bit - you never know, it might be foggy downtown and in Canal Park.

WhyFi wrote:
Here's one of the few non-foggy Canal Park shots that I took. Really loving the sharpness, contrast, color and sense of depth from this little lens.

Gates by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

It looks like a good one. The tricycle photo does seem to illustrate what makes it an appealing lens to me as well. I was thinking of getting one for my NEX and ended up with the Contax G 28mm because of lower cost and size. Still thinking about that Distagon, though...

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2549

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 12mm von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

arduluth

Gate to the St. Louis County Poor Farm Cemetery
Contax G 28mm f/2.8 at f/2.8 on NEX-5R

Flickr: Poor Farm Cemetery Gate by diogenic

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2549

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 12mm von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

WhyFi

My dark tones and gradations are getting absolutely murdered somewhere between exporting from Lightroom and viewing on Flickr, but here's another with the 28 Distagon -

Keep Walking by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

arduluth

Still digging the fog colors. Looks like the Distagon does pretty well with the lights - no big purple ghost blobs surrounding them.

Sunshower
Contax G 28mm f/2.8 at f/2.8 on NEX-5R

Flickr: Sunshower by diogenic

WhyFi

Yeah, I haven't seen any glaring issues (or even minor ones, for that matter) just yet.

This is (likely) the last shot that I'll get out of the walkaround the other night -

Sunken Dreams (Uncle Harvey's Mausoleum) by heightsfidelity, on Flickr

wfrank
Total Posts: 2971

Distagon 35/1.4 (Contax) + A7

carstenw
Total Posts: 15971

Oh drool! I love E-types, especially the older bodies.

coogee
Total Posts: 68

50/2 ZE @f/4

Coogee Beach

Have acquired a used 100/2 ZE as well. Infinity doesn't seem to be on with the lens marking (fair enough but it'd sure be easier if it was - do Zeiss recalibrate lenses for infinity?) and I'm finding a lack of contrast on a lot of f/2 shots. Is that to be expected?

I haven't really had much of a chance to properly test it out yet, bad weather/busy days, so it could just be a case of poor conditions/user error. I am always using the hood/no filter.

WhyFi

^^^ there is a thread specifically for the Z* mount variants - you might get more owner/user experiences there - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/860134

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1596

coogee wrote:
Have acquired a used 100/2 ZE as well. Infinity doesn't seem to be on with the lens marking (fair enough but it'd sure be easier if it was - do Zeiss recalibrate lenses for infinity?) and I'm finding a lack of contrast on a lot of f/2 shots. Is that to be expected?

Canon body tolerances are so gigantic that there Zeiss can't calibrate their lenses to infinity. I had 3x 5DmkII and 1DmkIII and there wasn't any camera which would have had infinity exact same as any other camera...

There have been cases, when there have been issues with Zeiss ZE lenses that Zeiss could not calibrate without having also camera (e.g. ZE21) to user satisfaction. So I would assume you could ask Zeiss to calibrate for infinity, but then your lens would be calibrated in temperature Zeiss has in their laboratory - depending lens design focus would be either too far or too close in any other situation than Zeiss laboratory situation. For some longer focal length lenses it's known fact that lens should go well past infinity to compensate temperature changes.

PS. In digital era the hard infinity stop is useless, there is no way I would ever trust it with digital. It might have been useful on film era, but I really can't see how it would work in real field shooting for 36+Mpix.

For 2/100 contrast wide open; yes it improves a lot closing down to f/2.8. I mostly shot it f/2.8-4 as best compromise between DOF and optical issues (aberrations, boke quality, contrast).

Samuli

1       2       3              216      
       218              227       228       end