Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/194

1       2       3              194      
       196              221       222       end

wfrank
Total Posts: 2869

Gary Clennan wrote:
Yeah - that Volvo is a sweet car. What model and year is that? I will be looking for a car to restore (in the next 5yrs) and this model/year would be great!

Thanks Gary! You dont want to get me started on this one really ;-) but it's the Volvo P1800. In this case the S version. Very brief, this is a -64. Production started in England -61 with crappy quality so it moved to Sweden -63. 1964 is the last model with bull horns (something I wanted) and improved interior (63-64). The model survived til early 70's but then - if you ask me - some of the original 60's charm was gone trim-wise.

The car has an ever-lasting engine/gear box, the "B18, fitted with twin SU carbs" has become an international record breaker. It's unbeatable. An American teacher, Irv Gordon, just passed 3.000.000 miles in the car he bought -65. There's a lot on youtube on that.

Though having a lot more HP than majority of contemporary british Triumphs/MGs, cars like VW Karmann-Ghia or Italian Alfa Romeos and similar, Volvo never marketed is as a sports car, rather sort of a reliable GT. It was not in the league of the Jaguar E-types or Italian full-bloods but captured a pocket somewhere in between those camps.

In case you do get an interest for this Volvo let me know, I'd be happy to provide info on what to look for. And perhaps check out my blog (in Swedish I'm afraid) - but the top post currently is about another American with a -62 recently winning an vintage class race in Elkhart Lake over various Brits/Porsches and such. Movie is HD and is a pleasure to watch for anyone with a vintage car interest. Filmed from a TR4 with start pos #1, the Volvo passes just after start and is visible in front throughout the race :-) http://wilhelmfrank.web.surftown.se/volvoWP/

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 4827

Thanks so much for the information! The hard part may be finding one here in Canada - or North America. Such a great looking car though...

wfrank

Actually, in the US, you can find really good ones for reasonable prices. It's not uncommon that they get shipped back to Europe for that reason. Prime markets was US, UK (w right drive) and Sweden. Some 50.000 were built so it's not like it's super rare vintage-wise. Sry OT :-)

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 2968

wfrank

Those pics are pretty close to photorealism. Incredible amount of presence.. presented.

wfrank

Thank you very much Mesca, appreciated. I do some PP with that very intention, to replicate what I was looking at. My passion with Zeiss is because it gets you there more than half way SOC.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15123

Fun race. It isn't a very good example of what you wrote though, as the Speedster passes the Volvo and stays in front the rest of the race (as do two other cars). The Volvo driver also blocks quite nastily on two occasions. The driver of the car with the camera really needs another 10 horsepower and a smoother line through the turns He consistently turns in a bit too early and loses the speed on the way out.

Sigh. Your Volvo is just a looker though! As OP I explicitly permit Volvo P1800 talk, as long as it is accompanied by photos

Btw, something like this (with a better interior though) is what I hope to build one day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAY5fRglsb4

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 522

wfrank wrote:
Thank you very much Mesca, appreciated. I do some PP with that very intention, to replicate what I was looking at. My passion with Zeiss is because it gets you there more than half way SOC.

Any hints? I've always thought your PP is outstanding, so… some clues would be greatly appreciated!

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 4827

carstenw wrote:
Fun race. It isn't a very good example of what you wrote though, as the Speedster passes the Volvo and stays in front the rest of the race (as do two other cars). The Volvo driver also blocks quite nastily on two occasions. The driver of the car with the camera really needs another 10 horsepower and a smoother line through the turns He consistently turns in a bit too early and loses the speed on the way out.

Sigh. Your Volvo is just a looker though! As OP I explicitly permit Volvo P1800 talk, as long as it is accompanied by photos

Btw, something like this (with a better interior though) is what I hope to build one day:

Thanks for that video Carsten. At 820kg - that car would be a lot of fun! 911's are one of my other all time favorite cars. Choices, choices...

wfrank

carstenw wrote:

It's not just one race Carsten, this is just a video with a great view of the P1800 throughout one of them. And as you see it's not without competition . Blocking and the opposite (squeezing?) are highly regulated you'll see "it" in F1 too :-)

Right, you cant fail w a 911. Good looking in every angle! I personally would prefer an older version with a touch of chrome ('63 is the starting year for that legend). A 356 would do the work 24/7 too

EDIT, Oh,forgot the image rule! Here's the first hand-built prototype by Frua carrozzeria, Italy

carstenw

I agree that the older cars with a bit more chrome are very attractive, but they simply aren't as good cars, and I am looking for an everyday car, not something I put away for the winter. I would probably start with a new model, something with the galvanised frame, and then add older parts, which is possible given that the shape stayed constant for the first few decades.

With this particular car, it lost some of the chrome compared to an early '70s model, but it gained in minimalism, which also strongly appeals to me. A Bit like that racing P1800 in your movie. It doesn't look as great as yours, but it looks great in its own way.

wfrank

xbarcelo wrote:

Any hints? I've always thought your PP is outstanding, so… some clues would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! I am no pro but for those images where sky is visible the challenge is partly DR so according to me it needs both recovery and fill light. Depending on image there are other ways but the point is to equalize light in one way or another. Then it's about contrasts. One distinct difference Zeiss lenses bring is that the clarity-slider (in ACR) wont usually make any difference while it with many other lenses will, but creating artifacts in the process. I almost always add vignetting in one form or another, on these there is a part lightening up the central object i.e. kind of a reverse vignette. I boosted colors with a Skylight filter in post too. I have no std scheme but something like that.

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 522

Thanks so much for the tips, much appreciated!

Paul Yi
Total Posts: 5255

ZE 100

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2196

Great shot Wilelm and Carstenw

2/35 ZF

Carl zeiss distagon T* 2/35 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

mogud
Total Posts: 677

Chetan Kulkarn wrote:
I have a bit of an abstract question. I have recently acquired a Zeiss 50 f/2 Makro Planar ZE. And the color, contrast and sharpness are absolutely stunning. I am thinking of upgrading my wide angle to a Zeiss 21 f/2.8 Distagon ZE.

I was just wondering based on experience if the details and clarity of the 21mm are at par with the 50 MP? I just fear I might be disappointed with anything else after using the 50MP. The only other alternative I have in mind is the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L II. Which brings the benefit of zoom though it may not be at par in terms of contrast and sharpness.

Any views would be welcome!

I have been bitten by the Zeiss ZE bug myself recently. The reasons why are exactly what you identified in your post - color, contrast and sharpness. As a result, I've just purchased the ZE 21/2.8 and this lens indeed has the same vibrant color, contrast and sharpness you experience with your ZE 50/2 MP. As a matter of fact, I will be purchasing the 50/2 MP to add to my Zeiss arsenal and I will be selling my 16-35 II and replacing it with the Zeiss 15/2.8. While my copy of the 16-35 II is very sharp, corner sharpness is not the 16-35 II's strong suit and doesn't compare with the ZE 21/2.8.

akul
Total Posts: 1611

Thank you guys for your information on the lens barrel. I had not had chance to look at it, but will report back here.

carstenw

From a walk-about a couple of weeks ago. D800, 85P@2.8:

carstenw

Another. Not so interesting, but I love the way this lens renders. D800, 85P@2.8:

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2196

Nice shot Carstenw..especially the last , 85P is a special lens

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 2968

Looks nice Carsten. A bit of CA, but rendering is very likeable..

1       2       3              194      
       196              221       222       end