Why is everyone looking for Contax 645
/forum/topic/1006634/0

2       3       end

Paul Yi
Total Posts: 5215

I know this has been a popular system, but lately I find so many people are looking for one...
Any reason for this sudden phenomenon?

DocsPics
Total Posts: 2457

Latest drug or choice for gear-a-holics.....

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 9938

Use of AF Zeiss MF lenses perhaps? I don't know.

EltonTeng
Total Posts: 2598

So that they can induce you into getting one as well.

weezintrumpete
Total Posts: 2272

I've been looking for one recently for a few reasons, as silly as they may be.

1. Contax body, Zeiss glass. I love Contax bodies, and I love Zeiss glass. AF is a bonus.

2. The 80mm f/2 is one of the fastest medium format lenses available. f/2 = narrow depth of field for portraits, etc.

3. I've recently started following photographer Jose Villa (a wedding photographer in California). He uses a Contax 645 almost exclusively and gets amazing results. Of course, most of that is because he's amazingly talented! (http://josevillablog.com/).

The damn things have gone up in price so much recently that I don't think I can afford one anymore.

But boy, do I want one...

sirimiri
Total Posts: 3229

Weezy, if you were still in the LA area, I'd say come by and raid my pelican case...

Lotusm50
Total Posts: 6214

It's still a great system -- straightforward, easy-to-use with great lenses. What's not to like?

I still have mine -- I've sold a few bits (like the waist level finder) off for ridiculous prices over the last couple years, but still have most of it. I haven't used it in probably well over 2 years. I should probably use it or sell it. But it's really hard to part with.

mikethevilla
Total Posts: 2540

sirimiri wrote:
Weezy, if you were still in the LA area, I'd say come by and raid my pelican case...

Guess who IS in the LA area

Makten
Total Posts: 4035

weezintrumpete wrote:
2. The 80mm f/2 is one of the fastest medium format lenses available. f/2 = narrow depth of field for portraits, etc.

Don't you have a Pentax 67 with 105/2.4? That combo will give you shorter DOF than the Contax.
Now, a Hasselblad 6x6 with 110/2 is what you need!

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19162

What type of memory cards does the Contax 645 take?

Tariq Gibran

jcolwell wrote:

You can put a MF digital back on it if you want. Probably another reason this particular system is desired. MF Zeiss lenses + Film or Digital.

plastic_lens
Total Posts: 147

I agree -- for the price of the Contax, you get a a heck of a nice 6x6 or 6x7. Why not 6x8 or 6x9?...And if you want fast, get the 80/1.9 Mamiya lens for the M645 -- you could probably buy at least 5 for the price of one Zeiss.

brucemuir
Total Posts: 3316

Take a look at what lens hoods fetch for this system
I went ahead and adapted 77mm rz/rb rubber hoods.

Spare backs have recently gone from around 2 bills usd up to over 4.

Im tempted to sell my clean kit now and repick it up after the wedding shooters get tired of film.

jcolwell

Tariq Gibran wrote:
jcolwell wrote:

You can put a MF digital back on it if you want. Probably another reason this particular system is desired. MF Zeiss lenses + Film or Digital.

That would be pretty much the same as using MF and AF Mamiya 645 lenses on a Mamiya AF body with a digital back. Right?

kidtexas
Total Posts: 1409

Probably because there are a couple of prominent wedding photographers who use them who are pretty visible on the internet.

davenfl
Total Posts: 4064

It is the latest in a line of follow the leader. Film goes away, comes back a little along with medium format and Fuji is back in the instant polaroid business. Everything that was seems to come back like the hands of the clock to midnight. The lenses are very good but not that much better then Pentax and certain Hasselblad. Not that many were built so prices of what's left are very high. Another case of what I should have stuck in the back of the closet rather then giving away at a fire sale price. Then I would have only recovered 50% of what I paid, oh well.

Dave

Tariq Gibran

jcolwell wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
jcolwell wrote:

That would be pretty much the same as using MF and AF Mamiya 645 lenses on a Mamiya AF body with a digital back. Right?

The same except you would be stuck using Mamiya instead of Contax/ Zeiss! I know which one I would prefer.

jcolwell

Tariq Gibran wrote:
jcolwell wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
jcolwell wrote:

The same except you would be stuck using Mamiya instead of Contax/ Zeiss! I know which one I would prefer.

Me too! I compared Zeiss Hasselblad with Mamiya M645 at 50mm and 80mm, and they're pretty much the same for IQ. OTOH, the Mamiya lenses are much less expensive, much smaller and much lighter. I haven't tried Contax 645, 'cause I'm trying to cut back.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3093

Didn't realise people were? I almost bought one a few months ago... hmmm, seems prices have gone up a bit since then. Reasons for me were pretty much as mentioned above.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3093

weezintrumpete wrote:

3. I've recently started following photographer Jose Villa (a wedding photographer in California). He uses a Contax 645 almost exclusively and gets amazing results. Of course, most of that is because he's amazingly talented! (http://josevillablog.com/).

Very inspiring, he makes beautiful images, thank you for sharing that with us! I don't think he does anything particularly unique, I know a lot of other photographers with a similar style and that produce very similar images. But he does the basics very, very well and keeps things simple - which is the key to so many things in life I guess. Not exactly the sort of wedding images I like, but I really admire his compositions, his use of light at times.

2       3       end