Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of jcolwell's message #9596110 « Alt Lens FAQ »

jcolwell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Alt Lens FAQ

Hi Michael,

I\'ll dump stuff on you periodically. Here\'s the Notation section from my Lens$db documentation, minus the stuff you already have in the Glossary, and minus the stuff that\'s only relevant for Lens$db. About half of the terms are \'Alt\' in nature, and the remainder are more general terms on gear and photography in general (as your current list already reflects).

Before I dump the list, might I suggest that the Alt FAQ is heading in a direction where a web site might be worth considering. I can offer to host this resource on my site, using a registered and aliased url name of your choice; however, I\'m not offering to provide webmaster services, at least in terms of maintaining the Alt resource. Also, suggestions for upgrades to the Alt FAQ might be better handled via email or web-based form, instead of by posting to this thread, like the ton of stuff I just dumped below.

Good luck!

1:n macro magnification 1 to ‘n’; 1:1 is life-size image on film, 1:2 is half of life size, …
4/3 four thirds mount and system
A2 Adaptall 2 Tamron MF mount: A2 to EF adapters are scarce, but you can use the fairly common A2 to M42 adapter in a very common M42 to EF adapter (works fine).
aa auto-aperture: typical aperture control for modern lenses (with and without a manual aperture control ring); the lens is “wide-open” for metering and finder viewing; when the shutter button is pushed, the camera automatically “stops down” to the appropriate “taking” aperture (either user-selected or set by the camera for AE modes); note that the (aa) pin on a M42 lens is not used by a Canon EOS body, and so it is desirable for a M42 lens to have a manual/auto aperture switch to enable (ma) with “stop-down” metering, some M42 adapters have a flange to depress the (aa) pin, but it should not be used on more recent “2 pin” M42 lenses as it contacts and grinds against the diaphragm coupling lever, see www.aohc.it/tak00e.htm for a description of Asahi Pentax M42 mounts.AE auto-exposure mode: camera body selects Av and/or Tv for ‘automatic’ exposure
AF autofocus
AI,AIS types of Nikon manual focus F-mount lenses, Nikon-F to EF adapters are available
aka also known as (or labeled as)
AL aspherical lens elements (same as ASP)
AOC angle of coverage
AOV angle of view
APS-C digital sensor format (size), Canon 22.3mm x 14.9mm (1.6x CF)
APO apochromatic lens, special coatings and/or special glass to reduce colour aberration
ASP aspherical lens elements (same as AL)
aux auxiliary lens, usually screws on to filter threads of the ‘real’ or ‘primary’ lens
Av aperture value; camera setting “Av” indicates Aperture-Priority AE mode math: Av = log(Nf)/log(2)
BBAR broad band anti-reflection (Tamron coating)
bi “built-in\" filters, most common on wide angle lenses
C645 Contax manual focus 645 medium format lens mount system
CA colour aberration
Cat Catadioptric lens (mirror)
c.o. clip on (filter)
CF crop factor for a digital camera, close focus or continuous focus for a lens
CP,CPL circular polarizer (filter)
CV Cosina Voigtlander (Voigtlander lenses made by Cosina)
CY,C/Y Contax/Yashica mount (for Carl Zeiss lenses), CY to EF adapter is available
Da apparent diameter of maximum aperture when viewed through the front of the lens
d.i. “drop in” filters go in a slot near the rear of lens, allows use of small diameter filters on large diameter lenses (e.g. 400/2.8)
DC Sigma lens series for APS-C DSLR, reduced image circle
DG Sigma lens xxx
DO Diffractive Optics, enables “long” telephoto lenses to be relatively short in length
DSLR digital SLR
E excellent lens condition
E+ excellent + lens condition
EBC Electron Beam Coating, Fujifilm lens multi-coating
ED extra-low dispersion elements in lens (see APO)
EF Electro Focus, Canon autofocus lenses for EOS (focus motor is in the lens)
EF-M Canon manual focus EF mount lens (this abbreviation is not used by Canon)
EF-S EF-Short back focus, Canon autofocus EF mount lens for relatively small APS-C sized image sensors, only for use on Canon EOS 20D, Digital Rebel and Digital Rebel XT
EOS Electro-Optical System, Canon autofocus system, includes EF lenses, EOS cameras, etc.
EV exposure value math: EV = Tv + Av
EX Sigma pro lens designation
f focal length
f/ aperture f-number, math: “f/” = Nf = f / da
f/ min minimum F-stop number (maximum aperture), lens wide open
f/ max maximum F-stop number (minimum aperture), lens stopped down all the way
F Nikon mount and many 35mm systems, includes pre-AI, AI, AIS, P, AF
FE fish eye
FF camera: full frame (DSLR sensor 36mm x 24mm), lens: flat field
FOV field of view, similar to AOV, but less specific
FT,4/3 four thirds mount and system
FTM Full Time Manual, manual focus ring on an AF lens can be used at any time, see USM
FREE fixed rear-element extension (focusing mechanism)
GND graduated neutral density filter (with “soft” or “hard” edge/ transition btw light & dark)
IF internal focus: barrel length does not change, front element does not rotate
IQ image quality
IS Image Stabilizer
ISO sensor or film sensitivity (ISO = International Standards Organization)
K Pentax K-mount, see http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/ Keos my name for the Pentax K-mount lens to Canon EOS body adapter, the lens aa aperture control lever must be removed, making it a (ma) lens, which is also MF.
KISS Keep It Simple, Stupid
L indicates Canon professional lens series (e.g. EF 85/1.2 L USM): apparently, L stands for “Luxury”, but I can’t find substantiation for this common belief, see the “Canon FAQ” at www.photozone.de/8Reviews/canonFAQ.htm for a good discussion of L series lenses.LN in Lens$db, Like New condition
LNIB Like New In Box
LD low dispersion glass (see ED, APO)
LF Large Format (4x5 and bigger)
LM Leica bayonet mount for 35mm M series rangefinders, not compatible with EOS bodies
LR Leica R mount, LR to EOS adapter is available
LS Leica screw mount for 35mm rangefinder cameras - not compatible with EOS bodies
LTM Leica thread mount for 35mm rangefinder cameras - not compatible with EOS bodies
M mint lens condition
M- mint - (minus) lens condition
M34,M3/4 micro Four-Thirds mount and camera system
M39 39mm diameter screw mount, used by LTM
m4/3 micro Four-Thirds mount and system, a.k.a. mFT
M42 42mm diameter screw mount for MF lenses, aka \'Pentax screw\', \'universal screw\', etc., used on Pentax Takumar series and many other brands (not all old), see Section 4.3.
M645 Mamiya manual focus 645 medium format lens mount system
ma manual aperture: “stop-down” metering, the aperture opens and closes as the aperture ring is rotated; in practice, you compose and focus with the lens wide open, and then manually “stop down” to the “taking” aperture just before taking the shot.
MF manual focus or medium format
MFD minimum focus distance
mFT micro Four-Thirds mount and system, a.k.a. m4/3
MP-E Canon EOS “Macro Photo” manual focus EF lens mount (so far, the only MP-E is 65/2.8)
N Contax 35mm AF lens mount and camera system
N new lens condition
ND neutral density filter
Nf f-stop number (aperture) math: Nf = “f/” = f / da = (sqrt(2))^Av …(square root 2 to power of Av)
OM Olympus 35mm manual focus mount and system
OOF out of focus
OS Optical Stabilization (Sigma IS)
P645 Pentax manual focus 645 medium format lens mount system
pp push-pull zoom (one touch): push-pull to zoom, twist to focus
PP post-processing (software image modification)
PPD Pixels Per Duck, measure of “reach”, © PetKal
PPDI Pixels Per Duck-Inch, measure of “reach”, © jcolwelll
ps pre-set aperture: two aperture control rings; one ring is used to set a ‘stop’ at the desired taking aperture, and the other ring is used to open the aperture for viewing and then close it to the \'pre-set\' aperture for exposure, this is a form of “stop-down” metering, see (ma)
QBM Quick Bayonet Mount, Rollei 35mm mount and system (a.k.a. SL35)
R Leica 35mm SLR lens mount and system
RF rangefinder camera
rg “rear gel” filter
rfe rotating front element (filter ring rotates as lens is focused)
rl rectilinear: straight lines appear straight (as opposed to FE circular distortion)
SL35 Rollei 35mm quick bayonet lens mount (a.k.a. QBM)
SLR Single Lens Reflex (reflex = mirror, not moving mirror)
SMC Super Multi-Coated (c), Pentax
SSS Sun/Sigma/Spiratone conglomeration of 3rd party lenses (Accura, Lentar, Upsilon…)
t inverse of shutter speed: for example, t = 500 for shutter speed of 1/500 sec math: t = 2^Tv …(two to the power of Tv)
T-S, TS tilt-shift
TS-E Canon EOS “Tilt and Shift” manual focus EF mount lens, tilt controls plane of focus, shift controls perspective (vanishing point)
Tv time value, camera setting “Tv” indicates Shutter-Priority AE mode math: Tv = log(t))/log(2)
T,T2,T4,TX 3rd party MF lens mount: mostly Vivitar, some Tamron & others, M42 adapters available
TLR twin lens reflex (reflex = mirror, not moving mirror)
tt two-touch zoom (separate zoom & focus rings)
USM Ultrasonic Motor, advanced Canon EF AF system, most are FTM, see the Canon Museum
UWA ultra-wide angle, focal lengths of about 20mm and wider (i.e. shorter) on FF bodies
vf varifocal: focus changes while zooming
VMC Vivitar Multi Coating
VC Vibration Compensation (Tamron IS)
VR Vibration Reduction (Nikon IS)
YS 3rd party MF lens mount: mostly Sun/Sigma/Spiratone, M42 adapters available

[edit: list updated 2011-08-25

Aug 25, 2011 at 07:57 AM
jcolwell

Hi Michael,

I\'ll dump stuff on you periodically. Here\'s the Notation section from my Lens$db documentation, minus the stuff you already have in the Glossary, and minus the stuff that\'s only relevant for Lens$db. About half of the terms are \'Alt\' in nature, and the remainder are more general terms on gear and photography in general (as your current list already reflects).

Before I dump the list, might I suggest that the Alt FAQ is heading in a direction where a web site might be worth considering. I can offer to host this resource on my site, using a registered and aliased url name of your choice; however, I\'m not offering to provide webmaster services, at least in terms of maintaining the Alt resource. Also, suggestions for upgrades to the Alt FAQ might be better handled via email or web-based form, instead of by posting to this thread, like the ton of stuff I just dumped below.

Good luck!

1:n macro magnification 1 to ¡¥n¡¦; 1:1 is life-size image on film, 1:2 is half of life size, ¡K
A2 Adaptall 2 Tamron MF mount: A2 to EF adapters are scarce, but you can use the
fairly common A2 to M42 adapter in a very common M42 to EF adapter (works fine).
aa auto-aperture: typical aperture control for modern lenses (with and without a manual
aperture control ring); the lens is ¡§wide-open¡¨ for metering and finder viewing; when the
shutter button is pushed, the camera automatically ¡§stops down¡¨ to the appropriate
¡§taking¡¨ aperture (either user-selected or set by the camera for AE modes); note that the
(aa) pin on a M42 lens is not used by a Canon EOS body, and so it is desirable for a M42
lens to have a manual/auto aperture switch to enable (ma) with ¡§stop-down¡¨ metering,
some M42 adapters have a flange to depress the (aa) pin, but it should not be used on
more recent ¡§2 pin¡¨ M42 lenses as it contacts and grinds against the diaphragm coupling
lever, see www.aohc.it/tak00e.htm for a description of Asahi Pentax M42 mounts.
AE auto-exposure mode: camera body selects Av and/or Tv for ¡¥automatic¡¦ exposure
AF autofocus
AI, AIS types of Nikon manual focus F-mount lenses, Nikon-F to EF adapters are available
AOC angle of coverage
AOV angle of view
APO apochromatic lens, special coatings and/or special glass to reduce colour aberration
aux auxiliary lens, usually screws on to filter threads of the ¡¥real¡¦ or ¡¥primary¡¦ lens
Av aperture value; camera setting ¡§Av¡¨ indicates Aperture-Priority AE mode
math: Av = log(Nf)/log(„©2)
bi ¡§built-in\" filters, most common on wide angle lenses
CF crop factor for a digital camera, or close focus for a lens
CP, CPL circular polarizer (filter)
DG Sigma lens xxx
DO Diffractive Optics, enables ¡§long¡¨ telephoto lenses to be relatively short in length
DSLR digital SLR
EF-S EF-Short back focus, Canon autofocus EF mount lens for relatively small APS-C sized
image sensors, only for use on Canon EOS 20D, Digital Rebel and Digital Rebel XT
EOS Electro-Optical System, Canon autofocus system, includes EF lenses, EOS cameras, etc.
f focal length
f/ aperture f-number, math: ¡§f/¡¨ = Nf = f / da
FE (x/y) fish eye: x = diagonal AoV, y = image diameter (35mm film image is 24mm x 36mm)
FF 1. full frame image sensor (dSLR sensor 36mm x 24mm)
2. flat field, macro design to focus on single plane, good for pics of flat things
FT, 4/3 four thirds mount and system
FTM Full Time Manual, manual focus ring on an AF lens can be used at any time, see USM
GND graduated neutral density filter (with ¡§soft¡¨ or ¡§hard¡¨ edge/ transition btw light & dark)
IQ image quality
IS Image Stabilizer
K Pentax K-mount, see http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
L indicates Canon professional lens series (e.g. EF 85/1.2 L USM): apparently, L stands
for ¡§Luxury¡¨, but I can¡¦t find substantiation for this common belief, see the ¡§Canon FAQ¡¨
at www.photozone.de/8Reviews/canonFAQ.htm for a good discussion of L series lenses.
LNIB Like New In Box
LM Leica bayonet mount for 35mm M series rangefinders, not compatible with EOS bodies
LS Leica screw mount for 35mm rangefinder cameras - not compatible with EOS bodies
LTM Leica thread mount for 35mm rangefinder cameras - not compatible with EOS bodies
M34, M3/4 micro Four-Thirds mount and camera system
M42 42mm diameter screw mount for MF lenses, aka \'Pentax screw\', \'universal screw\', etc.,
used on Pentax Takumar series and many other brands (not all old), see Section 4.3.
MP-E Canon EOS ¡§Macro Photo¡¨ manual focus EF lens mount (so far, the only MP-E is 65/2.8)
mt column in database for lens/body mount (e.g. EF, M42)
OOF out of focus
QBM Quick Bayonet Mount, Rollei 35mm mount and system (a.k.a. SL35)
RF rangefinder camera
SL35 Rollei 35mm bayonet lens mount (a.k.a. QBM)
t inverse of shutter speed: for example, t = 500 for shutter speed of 1/500 sec
math: t = 2^Tv ¡K(two to the power of Tv)
TS-E Canon EOS ¡§Tilt and Shift¡¨ manual focus EF mount lens,
tilt controls plane of focus, shift controls perspective (vanishing point)
Tv time value, camera setting ¡§Tv¡¨ indicates Shutter-Priority AE mode
math: Tv = log(t))/log(2)
T,T2,T4,TX 3rd party MF lens mount: mostly Vivitar, some Tamron & others, M42 adapters available
USM Ultrasonic Motor, advanced Canon EF AF system, most are FTM, see the Canon Museum
UWA ultra-wide angle, focal lengths of about 20mm and wider (i.e. shorter) on FF bodies
varifocal: focus changes while zooming

May 20, 2011 at 04:58 AM
jcolwell

Hi Michael,

Good luck!

1:n macro magnification 1 to ‘n’; 1:1 is life-size image on film, 1:2 is half of life size, …
A2 Adaptall 2 Tamron MF mount: A2 to EF adapters are scarce, but you can use the
fairly common A2 to M42 adapter in a very common M42 to EF adapter (works fine).
aa auto-aperture: typical aperture control for modern lenses (with and without a manual
aperture control ring); the lens is “wide-open” for metering and finder viewing; when the
shutter button is pushed, the camera automatically “stops down” to the appropriate
“taking” aperture (either user-selected or set by the camera for AE modes); note that the
(aa) pin on a M42 lens is not used by a Canon EOS body, and so it is desirable for a M42
lens to have a manual/auto aperture switch to enable (ma) with “stop-down” metering,
some M42 adapters have a flange to depress the (aa) pin, but it should not be used on
more recent “2 pin” M42 lenses as it contacts and grinds against the diaphragm coupling
lever, see www.aohc.it/tak00e.htm for a description of Asahi Pentax M42 mounts.
AE auto-exposure mode: camera body selects Av and/or Tv for ‘automatic’ exposure
AF autofocus
AI, AIS types of Nikon manual focus F-mount lenses, Nikon-F to EF adapters are available
AOC angle of coverage
AOV angle of view
aux auxiliary lens, usually screws on to filter threads of the ‘real’ or ‘primary’ lens
Av aperture value; camera setting “Av” indicates Aperture-Priority AE mode
math: Av = log(Nf)/log(2)
bi “built-in\" filters, most common on wide angle lenses
CF crop factor for a digital camera, or close focus for a lens
CP, CPL circular polarizer (filter)
DG Sigma lens xxx
DO Diffractive Optics, enables “long” telephoto lenses to be relatively short in length
DSLR digital SLR
EF-S EF-Short back focus, Canon autofocus EF mount lens for relatively small APS-C sized
image sensors, only for use on Canon EOS 20D, Digital Rebel and Digital Rebel XT
f focal length
f/ aperture f-number, math: “f/” = Nf = f / da
FE (x/y) fish eye: x = diagonal AoV, y = image diameter (35mm film image is 24mm x 36mm)
FF 1. full frame image sensor (dSLR sensor 36mm x 24mm)
2. flat field, macro design to focus on single plane, good for pics of flat things
FT, 4/3 four thirds mount and system
GND graduated neutral density filter (with “soft” or “hard” edge/ transition btw light & dark)
IQ image quality
IS Image Stabilizer
K Pentax K-mount, see http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
L indicates Canon professional lens series (e.g. EF 85/1.2 L USM): apparently, L stands
for “Luxury”, but I can’t find substantiation for this common belief, see the “Canon FAQ”
at www.photozone.de/8Reviews/canonFAQ.htm for a good discussion of L series lenses.
LNIB Like New In Box
M34, M3/4 micro Four-Thirds mount and camera system
M42 42mm diameter screw mount for MF lenses, aka \'Pentax screw\', \'universal screw\', etc.,
used on Pentax Takumar series and many other brands (not all old), see Section 4.3.
MP-E Canon EOS “Macro Photo” manual focus EF lens mount (so far, the only MP-E is 65/2.8)
mt column in database for lens/body mount (e.g. EF, M42)
OOF out of focus
QRB Quick Release Bayonet, Rollei 35mm mount and system
RF rangefinder camera
SL35 Rollei 35mm quick release bayonet lens mount, same as QRB
t inverse of shutter speed: for example, t = 500 for shutter speed of 1/500 sec
math: t = 2^Tv …(two to the power of Tv)
TS-E Canon EOS “Tilt and Shift” manual focus EF mount lens,
tilt controls plane of focus, shift controls perspective (vanishing point)
Tv time value, camera setting “Tv” indicates Shutter-Priority AE mode
math: Tv = log(t))/log(2)
varifocal: focus changes while zooming

May 18, 2011 at 06:09 AM

Previous versions of jcolwell's message #9596110 « Alt Lens FAQ »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.