Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of j.liam's message #9399962 « Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com) »

j.liam
Upload & Sell: Off
Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

Just read the latest installment of Lloyd Chambers' review and it doesn't look any better. The spherical aberrations and resulting 'veiling flare' at f/2 and wider are really startling (i.e., disappointing & unappealing) Apparently, field curvature really becomes apparent at f/4, something not an issue with the the slower 35. For planar subjects, the 35/2 seems the clear winner. Even at f/2, the slower version wins hands down. It's performance reminds me most of the Nikkor 35/1.4 AIS; haze and reduced sharpness faster than 2.8.

Did they create a 1 kg monster whose sharpness and contrast (micro & macro) are clearly lagging wider than f/2.8 just for an 'outstanding bokeh' alone at the expense of every other metric by which optics are measured?

What the he'll were they thinking?!?!
Unless all they had in mind was a lens with atmosphere that appeals primarily to videographers. From the limited stuff I've now seen, I question my preemptive sale of a ZF 35/2 for this.

Mar 13, 2011 at 09:17 PM

Previous versions of j.liam's message #9399962 « Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com) »