Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Lifeinpictures's message #14322253 « Zeiss ZE and ZF.2 sale. Save up to $1,151!!! »

Lifeinpictures
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Zeiss ZE and ZF.2 sale. Save up to $1,151!!!

I had the classic 15mm and now have the Milvus 15 mm.

I feel that the classic is heavier and seemed to have heftier metal construction. It seemed to me that this was the best mechanically constructed lens I had ever used (along with the classic 135 APO). However the major con for this lens was that it had a fixed non removable lens. I donít consider the weatherproofing a major con as you can always use a rain cover if needed.

I unfortunately sold it to fund upgrading my A7R II bodies to the A7R III.

I missed it so much that I purchased the Milvus version a few months later. The Milvus version seem less dense, but looks well constructed too, but with a modern appearance. Zeiss says that this has better weather sealing, but this doesnít really matter to me as I would still use a rain cover in inclement weather.

However, what I did like was the removable metal hood. This really helps using a square or rectangular type filter system as well as 95 mm circular filters . Crucial for landscape.

The classic could use a 95 mm circular filter, but for others you would need a custom filter adapter. This is available from fotodiox and the like.

So if you do get a classic at significant discount over the Milvus, I think thatís something to think about.
I purchased the Milvus because there was a 15% discount on Milvus lenses that ended on 24th December. I also preferred not using the adapter to put my rectangular filters on. It was another thing to carry.
But if the price difference is substantial, thatís something you need to decide.

Zeiss assured me that the optical design is identical but said some BS about new coating. When pressed on that they told be that thereís no difference in performance except for weather sealing in the Milvus

Jan 11, 2018 at 03:17 PM
Lifeinpictures
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Zeiss ZE and ZF.2 sale. Save up to $1,151!!!

I had the classic 15mm and now have the Milvus 15 mm.

I feel that the classic is heavier and seemed to have heftier metal construction. It seemed to me that this was the best mechanically constructed lens I had ever used (along with the classic 135 APO). However the major con for this lens was that it had a fixed non removable lens. I donít consider the weatherproofing a major con as you can always use a rain cover if needed.

I unfortunately sold it to fund upgrading my A7R II bodies to the A7R III.

I missed it so much that I purchased the Milvus version a few months later. The Milvus version seem less dense, but looks well constructed too, but with a modern appearance. Zeiss says that this has better weather sealing, but this doesnít really matter to me as I would still use a rain cover in inclement weather.

However, what I did like was the removable metal hood. This really helps using a square or rectangular type filter system as well as 95 mm circular filters . Crucial for landscape.

The classic could use a 95 mm circular filter, but for others you would need a custom filter adapter. This is available from fotodiox and the like.

So if you do get a classic at significant discount over the Milvus, I think thatís something to think about.
I purchased the Milvus because there was a 15% discount of Milvus lenses that ended on 24th December. I also preferred not using the adapter to put my rectangular filters on. It was another thing to carry.
But if the price difference is substantial, thatís something you need to decide.

Zeiss assured me that the optical design is identical but said some BS about new coating. When pressed on that they told be that thereís no difference in performance except for weather sealing in the Milvus

Jan 11, 2018 at 03:01 PM

Previous versions of Lifeinpictures's message #14322253 « Zeiss ZE and ZF.2 sale. Save up to $1,151!!! »