Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of AGeoJO's message #14292349 « Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II »

AGeoJO
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

timgangloff wrote:
I've got the metabones IV coming as a rental to see how it works on my a9. One thing I hate about this site is that it often renders iamges softer than they really are, so judging focus accuracy and sharpness here is difficult and not everyone has the same expectations or tolerances. But, how do you rate the sharpness of the images compared to the 1dx2, which has been my primary body for some time now. I expect focus to be slower and I can tolerate that to some degree, but just don't want to compromise on sharpness.

I like the a9 and it's a great backup body, but until Sony has native long glass, it'll be a second body for sports. But, I also can't wait to see what the metabones can do for me and if it can deliver sharp images, I'll be very happy.

Tim, I crop most images I posted here, at least to straighten out horizon and for better composition. The amount of cropping varies, of course. The A9 while AF-wise is superior to the A7r II shows its limitation in that respect. It is still plenty sharp, however. Even if you don't crop, but if you enlarge images coming from the two cameras, you can tell the difference in sharpness. Please note that my experience so far is based on the two cameras I mentioned and not based on the new A7r III. If the AF performance of that camera is close to that of the A9, then maybe that's the body to get. I know the AF performance of the A7r III is better than that of the A7r II but is that good enough for wildlife? The jury is still out right now.

Dec 16, 2017 at 03:22 PM

Previous versions of AGeoJO's message #14292349 « Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.