Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of engardeknave's message #14270831 « Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter »

engardeknave
Upload & Sell: Off
Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

There are many, many serious issues that are not being addressed by public reviews of this adapter. I think these issues deserve their own thread to warn people.

Right now, this product is at a proof of concept level of development. Do not purchase this for professional use. It is incredibly flaky. It freezes the camera constantly. It spins the AF motor of every lens back and forth every time you turn on the camera. (Even with a 400mm lens, which takes forever.) It completely freezes with the Tamron 35mm SP DI VC (and probably all Tamrons).

The EXIF info focal length is always 63mm, regardless of actual lens or focal length. If you're shooting with a zoom, you will not be able to tell what the focal length of the shot is after the fact.

None of those things are deal-breakers for me. Here it gets much worse:

The Techart emulates the GF 63mm with EVERY LENS, which causes the camera to treat every lens like the GF 63mm.

Every AF lens you attach will focus incorrectly at small apertures. Since the camera thinks the lens is the GF 63mm, it applies focus shift compensation when you press the shutter or DOF preview button. You can see the focus move on your adapted lens when you press the button, exactly as it does with the GF 63mm. Good luck if you create photos that involve many manual stacked shots where all pixels must be perfectly aligned between frames.

All photos taken with this adapter have the lens profile of the GF 63mm automatically applied. This means that the distortion & vignette correction of the GF 63mm will be applied to every lens, effectively warping your photos. This cannot be disabled in LR or ACR, as far as I can tell.

Techart will not allow you to return this adapter. No refunds. Good luck with the Paypal dispute process.

Nov 30, 2017 at 01:58 PM
engardeknave

There are many, many serious issues that are not being addressed by public reviews of this adapter. I think these issues deserve their own thread to warn people.

Right now, this product is at a proof of concept level of development. Do not purchase this for professional use. It is incredibly flaky. It freezes the camera constantly. It spins the AF motor of every lens back and forth every time you turn on the camera. (Even with a 400mm lens, which takes forever.) It completely freezes with the Tamron 35mm SP DI VC (and probably all Tamrons).

The EXIF info focal length is always 63mm, regardless of actual lens or focal length. If you're shooting with a zoom, you will not be able to tell what the focal length of the shot is after the fact.

The Techart emulates the GF 63mm with EVERY LENS, which causes the camera to treat every lens like the GF 63mm.

Every AF lens you attach will focus incorrectly at small apertures. Since the camera thinks the lens is the GF 63mm, it applies focus shift compensation when you press the shutter or DOF preview button. You can see the focus move on your adapted lens when you press the button, exactly as it does with the GF 63mm. Good luck if you create photos that involve many manual stacked shots where all pixels must be perfectly aligned between frames.

All photos taken with this adapter have the lens profile of the GF 63mm automatically applied. This means that the distortion & vignette correction of the GF 63mm will be applied to every lens, effectively warping your photos. This cannot be disabled in LR or ACR, as far as I can tell.

Techart will not allow you to return this adapter. No refunds. Good luck with the Paypal dispute process.

Nov 30, 2017 at 01:36 AM
engardeknave

Nov 30, 2017 at 01:36 AM
engardeknave

https://imgur.com/a/PMcK6

Nov 30, 2017 at 01:33 AM
engardeknave

Nov 30, 2017 at 01:31 AM
engardeknave

Nov 29, 2017 at 06:13 PM

Previous versions of engardeknave's message #14270831 « Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter »