Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Colin F's message #14250642 « INDIA trip, and gear dilemma »

Colin F
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: INDIA trip, and gear dilemma

Thanks for that Eric, much appreciated, as my head is spinning more now than when I first started the thread. I've been finding all kinds of pros & cons of the various backpacks, and still trying to decide on the lenses.

I strongly feel that the 50mm f/1.2 will produce some fantastic images - much more so than any "convenient" zoom lens @ f/4 or even f/2.8. It's a sick lens that has a magical quality to it, but yes, one is stuck at 50mm, so a wider angle is needed, plus perhaps some more reach, but yes, the 70-200 f/2.8 is a beast, and its size & weight is becoming a determining factor for what backpack I use daily. Although, having said that, I'm a guy who's used to shlepping around an older 500 f/4 on a tripod & gimbal, and hand-use the Tamron 150-600 and feel like it's a piece of popcorn, so I'm perhaps not as sensitive to the weight of the 70-200 as others who don't do birding/wildlife, and who are used to only lighter gear.

I plan on having the body and one lens on a sling-strap at all times, so the pack doesn't need to be huge to carry everything, just two of the three lenses, plus various other little things. But many seem to report that the slingshot style of bags can really get tiring quickly on one shoulder, but maybe that's only when really loaded up. The 202 has no waist-belt, but the 302 does, which helps a lot but it's too large - possibly too large for carry-on on the plane - gah. I have the older LowePro Flipside 200 and 300 packs, so I could use those, but then getting at and changing lenses is a hassle. For carry-on, I'm permitted to have a 21.5" x 15.5" x 9" sized bag, plus a "personal" bag (larger than what I originally thought at 13" x 6" x 17"), so I can easily spread all my camera gear between those two bags. When I get to destination(s), the extra body will stay in hotel room, and with body & one lens always at the ready, two lenses(?) in the pack.

I thought this was going to be easy.

Nov 12, 2017 at 01:51 AM

Previous versions of Colin F's message #14250642 « INDIA trip, and gear dilemma »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.