Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Blakehfreeman's message #14249042 « Contemplating a switch... »

Blakehfreeman
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Contemplating a switch...

I picked up a D850 as I have a Nikon 200mm VRII and needed an updated body for that. I wasn't expecting any image quality bump from my D800E as it was already stellar. There is a noticibke bump in low light ISO performance and the AF was incredibly good as well. What will make me truly envious will be the A9R. My feeling is the D850 has better AF than the A7riii, while slightly lagging the A9.

There are only three reason I still shoot Nikon:
1. Nikon 200mm 2.0VRII
2. Nikon 105mm 1.4E
3. Nikon 70-200 2.8E

I wish there was a better adapter for Nikon F to Sony E... as I'll go kicking and screaming into the night with those lenses.

EDIT: I'd rather have the A9 body for dance... silent shutter and 20FPS. But I'd also much rather have my 200mm and 70-200... 🤦🏼‍♂️

kapsnb01 wrote:
lightskyland wrote:
The A9 is great if you might ever want to take video of your daughter under those conditions, since you can use the EVF to frame. Also, silent shutter is a revelation whenever you don't want to make yourself the center of attention with clack clack clack clack clack.

I think you have to ask yourself if either of those features seems worth the trouble of switching, or not.

The silent shutter is a great feature, but for dance not a requirement as they crank the music up to about 500. It would be incredibly handy for a lot of other uses though. I also like the idea of not needing to autofocus fine tune.

While a pain, if I'm going to make a switch I think I'm in a decent spot to do it. I think my kit would be easily saleable. But, it involves a learning curve that I'll again need to go through.

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Own one [D850] .... it's about a half stop better than the already class leading D810 [when downsampled] but the color noise is greatly reduced. Low light performance is comparable to the A9. I want an A9... so don't get me wrong, but low light/high ISO is not one of the things swaying me either way.

The A9 looks like an amazing camera if you're ok with 24mpix and smaller body form (I have a love hate with the A7 series for this reason).

Thanks for that info. So, in your experience with the D850, it's been significantly better in low light action type shooting? Basically on par with what the A9 would be in a low light/high ISO situation. That performance and the 20 FPS of the A9 is what really got me to start looking at it as an alternative. It seemed to be a hybrid of what the D500/D750 each do well. How is the D850 focus acquisition in low light, as good as the D5/D500 (I think I read that the D850 uses the same/similar AF as the D5/D500)?

Ergonomics is one of my concerns with the A9 as well since I really liked how the D500 fit in my hand...to date, that's been my favorite camera to shoot.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:14 PM
Blakehfreeman
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Contemplating a switch...

I picked up a D850 as I have a Nikon 200mm VRII and needed an updated body for that. I wasn't expecting any image quality bump from my D800E as it was already stellar. There is a noticibke bump in low light ISO performance and the AF was incredibly good as well. What will make me truly envious will be the A9R. My feeling is the D850 has better AF than the A7riii, while slightly lagging the A9.

There are only three reason I still shoot Nikon:
1. Nikon 200mm 2.0VRII
2. Nikon 105mm 1.4E
3. Nikon 70-200 2.8E

I wish there was a better adapter for Nikon F to Sony E... as I'll go kicking and screaming into the night with those lenses.

kapsnb01 wrote:
lightskyland wrote:
The A9 is great if you might ever want to take video of your daughter under those conditions, since you can use the EVF to frame. Also, silent shutter is a revelation whenever you don't want to make yourself the center of attention with clack clack clack clack clack.

I think you have to ask yourself if either of those features seems worth the trouble of switching, or not.

The silent shutter is a great feature, but for dance not a requirement as they crank the music up to about 500. It would be incredibly handy for a lot of other uses though. I also like the idea of not needing to autofocus fine tune.

While a pain, if I'm going to make a switch I think I'm in a decent spot to do it. I think my kit would be easily saleable. But, it involves a learning curve that I'll again need to go through.

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Own one [D850] .... it's about a half stop better than the already class leading D810 [when downsampled] but the color noise is greatly reduced. Low light performance is comparable to the A9. I want an A9... so don't get me wrong, but low light/high ISO is not one of the things swaying me either way.

The A9 looks like an amazing camera if you're ok with 24mpix and smaller body form (I have a love hate with the A7 series for this reason).

Thanks for that info. So, in your experience with the D850, it's been significantly better in low light action type shooting? Basically on par with what the A9 would be in a low light/high ISO situation. That performance and the 20 FPS of the A9 is what really got me to start looking at it as an alternative. It seemed to be a hybrid of what the D500/D750 each do well. How is the D850 focus acquisition in low light, as good as the D5/D500 (I think I read that the D850 uses the same/similar AF as the D5/D500)?

Ergonomics is one of my concerns with the A9 as well since I really liked how the D500 fit in my hand...to date, that's been my favorite camera to shoot.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:12 PM

Previous versions of Blakehfreeman's message #14249042 « Contemplating a switch... »