Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of kdrk888's message #14248053 « a7r3 and playmemories apps? »

kdrk888
Upload & Sell: On
Re: a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Fred Miranda wrote:
pdmphoto wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
Personally, I only used the Smooth Reflections and Time Lapse apps. It would be a plus if Sony integrated these two apps in camera (main FW). Call them image averaging and intervalometer.
They also had a Focus bracketing app but imo never worked great.

Add a real focus bracketing functionally to the main firmware as well!

As a bonus, let shooters combine all three if needed, for example: Image averaging with focus bracketing for ONE resulting RAW file.

I loved Smooth reflections but it had a fatal flaw. It didn't allow Silent shutter and therefore burned the mechanical shutter for no reason. Another flaw was the absence of an uncompressed RAW option.

I guess for the time-being, ND filters and an external intervalometer is back in my bag when shooting with the new A7R III.
just placed an order

If the shutter works for irs rated life expectancy, I don't see the shutter issue as being a major flaw. Silent shutter on the A7R2 is limited to 12 bit files. This would have been a great Improvement for the A7R3 with its 14 bit silent shutter capability. Instead, I won't be upgrading due to the apps not being supported.

Fred, a good amount if your excellent wide angle landscape shots i have seen posted by you were done with the Smooth Reflection app. ND filters are a pain and won't have the same result. Gotta hurt. Maybe easier (and better) to keep an A7R2 around for the occasion

It's true that the shutter life expectancy is high on these cameras but if one is extensively using the Smooth Reflections app, it's a big negative and in my opinion an unnecessary deficiency. Each scene could take up to 256 shots using the mechanical shutter instead of 'zero' in the case of silent shutter...That's not even counting possible focus bracketing if needed for the scene. We've asked Sony to add silent shutter + uncompressed RAW support and instead got the app completely removed.

You mentioned the drop in precision for silent shutter on the A7RII but Smooth Reflections resulting files do not seem to have 14 bits even with the mechanical shutter. I've used this app extensively and there is no latitude in the highlights. If you blow them when using the app, it's gone for good...

I'm not that upset about the lack of SR on the A7RIII because it's possible to do it in post-processing and now there is the option of having 14-bit silent shutter and uncompressed RAW. Having said that, I'm still hoping for an 'image averaging' option bult-in via main firmware or future bodies. (Canon and Nikon offer this feature)

On the bright side, the new Arsenal device seems to support image averaging and this could potentially provide the same Smooth Reflections capability with the additional benefit of using silent shutter and uncompressed RAW. The resulting RAW image will be recorded in camera. (just like SR)

Fred, this Arsenal thingy looks pretty interesting, especially if it can do focus stacking and save the merged image as a raw file in the camera...

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:43 PM
kdrk888
Upload & Sell: On
Re: a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Fred Miranda wrote:
pdmphoto wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
Personally, I only used the Smooth Reflections and Time Lapse apps. It would be a plus if Sony integrated these two apps in camera (main FW). Call them image averaging and intervalometer.
They also had a Focus bracketing app but imo never worked great.

Add a real focus bracketing functionally to the main firmware as well!

As a bonus, let shooters combine all three if needed, for example: Image averaging with focus bracketing for ONE resulting RAW file.

I loved Smooth reflections but it had a fatal flaw. It didn't allow Silent shutter and therefore burned the mechanical shutter for no reason. Another flaw was the absence of an uncompressed RAW option.

I guess for the time-being, ND filters and an external intervalometer is back in my bag when shooting with the new A7R III.

If the shutter works for irs rated life expectancy, I don't see the shutter issue as being a major flaw. Silent shutter on the A7R2 is limited to 12 bit files. This would have been a great Improvement for the A7R3 with its 14 bit silent shutter capability. Instead, I won't be upgrading due to the apps not being supported.

Fred, a good amount if your excellent wide angle landscape shots i have seen posted by you were done with the Smooth Reflection app. ND filters are a pain and won't have the same result. Gotta hurt. Maybe easier (and better) to keep an A7R2 around for the occasion

It's true that the shutter life expectancy is high on these cameras but if one is extensively using the Smooth Reflections app, it's a big negative and in my opinion an unnecessary deficiency. Each scene could take up to 256 shots using the mechanical shutter instead of 'zero' in the case of silent shutter...That's not even counting possible focus bracketing if needed for the scene. We've asked Sony to add silent shutter + uncompressed RAW support and instead got the app completely removed.

You mentioned the drop in precision for silent shutter on the A7RII but Smooth Reflections resulting files do not seem to have 14 bits even with the mechanical shutter. I've used this app extensively and there is no latitude in the highlights. If you blow them when using the app, it's gone for good...

I'm not that upset about the lack of SR on the A7RIII because it's possible to do it in post-processing and now there is the option of having 14-bit silent shutter and uncompressed RAW. Having said that, I'm still hoping for an 'image averaging' option bult-in via main firmware or future bodies. (Canon and Nikon offer this feature)

On the bright side, the new Arsenal device seems to support image averaging and this could potentially provide the same Smooth Reflections capability with the additional benefit of using silent shutter and uncompressed RAW. The resulting RAW image will be recorded in camera. (just like SR)

Fred, this Arsenal thingy looks pretty interesting, especially if it can do focus stacking and save the merged image as a raw file in the camera...

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:21 PM

Previous versions of kdrk888's message #14248053 « a7r3 and playmemories apps? »