Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of highdesertmesa's message #14246646 « Fujifilm GFX 50S Images »

highdesertmesa
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Fujifilm GFX 50S Images

gdanmitchell wrote:
^^^

Ad hominem much? ;-)

- - -

Back on topic...

flash wrote:
highdesertmesa wrote:
Your motion blur explanation is over my head a bit. Why does everyone who moved to the 5DsR swear they need higher shutter speeds to keep from seeing motion blur in their images?

Because they're looking at a larger "print". If the print size is the same the effect of motion blur is the same. When you look at a higher res file at 100% you're effectively looking at a larger print. Any effect of motion blur will be enlarged.

Gordon

This is correct. Basically, if you use a camera with a higher resolution so that you can make larger prints than you now produce* you have to pay attention to all of the things that you have always had to pay attention to that affect the maximum print size. These include the full range of things that can affect print resolution, including camera stability, lenses, aperture choice, focus, subject motion, sharpening and other post-processing work, and so on.

But if you compare at the same size (e.g — not 100% magnification crops from different resolution sensors) there will be no difference in the amount of motion blur. The ideal way to see this is to make prints. You can also verify by viewing same-size jpgs on-screen, but that does introduce some variables that might affect what you see.

You may be an ad hominem magnet. Did the other kids in school roll their eyes at you because you had the right answers? Just kidding, of course, but I do think your need for specificity may be aligning with your current opinions on (mini)MF versus full frame in this case. When I take a lens off my GFX and see the sensor, the last thing it conjures up in my mind is the word "mini" – and this is coming from someone who used to shoot 645, 6x7, and 6x9 film. How about at least using "MMF" so I don't have to read the word "mini" and see it written in lowercase?

---

Regarding motion blur: Would it be fair to say then, when you move to a much higher pixel density on the same size sensor, it is prudent to pay attention to your shutter speed? – Because: 1.) You can more freely crop your images and 2.) because you can make larger prints.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:33 PM
highdesertmesa
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Fujifilm GFX 50S Images

gdanmitchell wrote:
^^^

Ad hominem much? ;-)

- - -

Back on topic...

flash wrote:
highdesertmesa wrote:
Your motion blur explanation is over my head a bit. Why does everyone who moved to the 5DsR swear they need higher shutter speeds to keep from seeing motion blur in their images?

Because they're looking at a larger "print". If the print size is the same the effect of motion blur is the same. When you look at a higher res file at 100% you're effectively looking at a larger print. Any effect of motion blur will be enlarged.

Gordon

This is correct. Basically, if you use a camera with a higher resolution so that you can make larger prints than you now produce* you have to pay attention to all of the things that you have always had to pay attention to that affect the maximum print size. These include the full range of things that can affect print resolution, including camera stability, lenses, aperture choice, focus, subject motion, sharpening and other post-processing work, and so on.

But if you compare at the same size (e.g — not 100% magnification crops from different resolution sensors) there will be no difference in the amount of motion blur. The ideal way to see this is to make prints. You can also verify by viewing same-size jpgs on-screen, but that does introduce some variables that might affect what you see.

You may be an ad hominem magnet. Did the other kids in school roll their eyes at you because you had the right answers? Just kidding, of course, but I do think your need for specificity may be aligning with your current opinions on (mini)MF versus full frame in this case. When I take a lens of my GFX and see the sensor, the last thing it conjures up in my mind is the word "mini" – and this is coming from someone who used to shoot 645, 6x7, and 6x9 film. How about at least using "MMF" so I don't have to read the word "mini" and see it written in lowercase?

---

Regarding motion blur: Would it be fair to say then, when you move to a much higher pixel density on the same size sensor, it is prudent to pay attention to your shutter speed? – Because: 1.) You can more freely crop your images and 2.) because you can make larger prints.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:22 PM

Previous versions of highdesertmesa's message #14246646 « Fujifilm GFX 50S Images »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.