Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of OwlsEyes's message #14206737 « Considering a full move to Nikon. Lens advice »

OwlsEyes
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Considering a full move to Nikon. Lens advice

I own the 16-35mm f/4 and the 24-120mm f/4. Both are find lens and were used to replace the 17-40L and 24-105L when I was shooting Canon. Like the Canon lenses, these are both compromise optics. They provide you with the flexibility of having a zoom and image stabilization, but tend to become less sharp when shot wide open at the extreme of their range. This reality does not preclude their usefulness in landscape photography. If you are stopping down to f/8 to f/16 then the loss of detail becomes relatively insignificant.

So you know, I find that both lenses vignette on the D810 when shot at their widest focal length, and the 16-35mm exhibits chromatic aberrations at 16mm. This CA and vignetting is less pronounced than what the more expensive 17-35mm f/2.8 produced and is much like what you might likely see on the 17-40L. Canon refreshed this lens and Nikon has not... as such, the Canon 16-40L is probably sharper than the Nikon... but the sensor and usability of the D810 make this moot.

bruce

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Previous versions of OwlsEyes's message #14206737 « Considering a full move to Nikon. Lens advice »