Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RCicala's message #14205644 « New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses »

RCicala
Upload & Sell: On
Re: New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

We so often tend to translate "what I want is" to "they could if they wanted to". All lens design is a trade off. Sigma has recently decided that using larger elements of less exotic glass was a good trade off. It allows them to get 1) lower price, 2) superb optical performance, and

3) (and most importantly) very good consistency with little variation. I emphasize this because people STILL insist on believing quality assurance is a guy testing every lens at the end of the assembly run and throwing out the bad ones. It's not. In most cases it's things like designing larger elements that allow more tolerance so there aren't bad ones at the end of the assembly line.

We've all suffered through "designed to the cutting edge of tolerance so that we get absolutely the best performance in theory, except we can't manufacture it that tightly".

Which is the right way to do it isn't a yes-no. The laws of optical physics say you can choose roughly 3 out of 4: low price, small size, excellent optics, low copy-to-copy variation. And a business person will decide where the right market niche is before the lens designers start.

I don't know yet what Sigma will chose for FE mount designs. I may next week after they come visit, but then I'll be under nondisclosure and can't say.

Oct 05, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Previous versions of RCicala's message #14205644 « New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses »