Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of sungphoto's message #14204715 « First Sony Impression »

sungphoto
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: First Sony Impression

philip_pj wrote:
sung, landscapes are a total bastard at times, either so flat the histo occupies just 25% of the range, or with huge contrast and subject brightness range. The Sony sensors got seriously good (DR, noise) with the a99, the first of the fine grain noise pattern. One reason people like them for shadow recovery is the pleasant look of the noise. And there are definitely cases where users need to push the RAWs hard, from both ends.

You may not believe it, but the sensors are nevertheless a serious benefit for extreme shooting, where people must shoot ambient light. Paradoxically, it was Canon's poor shadow recovery noise behaviour that led s/w apps to get better fast at dealing with it, in a generic sense. We Sony users got a double gain, one from Sony, one from Canon (via Adobe et al).

I don't doubt the bench tests - I just am in the camp of getting it right in camera over doing a lot of post, so I haven't noticed a benefit in terms of shadow recovery going between Canon and Sony.

The funny thing about noise is that some people like Sony noise, but I always thought it looked very digital. I much prefer the iso noise on Canon sensors as it looks more "organic" like film grain.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Previous versions of sungphoto's message #14204715 « First Sony Impression »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.