Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of k-h.a.w's message #14203888 « FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF! »

k-h.a.w
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
k-h.a.w wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
k-h.a.w wrote:
Jeff Kott wrote:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, K.-H.A.W. is reporting that with the latest A9 firmware he now has EyeAF with his TAP.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1509357/1#lastmessage

Thanks. Yup, a number of folks are reporting that on FM and DPR.

K-H.

@k-h.a.w
Were you able to test eyeAF on it?

How is focusing performance on the A9 towards the outer zone?
I find that TAP's AF on the A7RII is only great when staying close to the center area. Is that the same on the A9?

Yes Fred, Eye-AF works with the TAP on my A9 and an actual human face, not just with an image on a screen.

To answer your last question, I would say yes.
I have not done extensive systematic testing towards the outer zones because the results I get are discouraging.
So, the same as with my A7rII, I only use the central focus area with my A9. YMMV.
Unless autofocus is pretty snappy, I don't find it useful and give up easily.

Also, when stopping down in poorly lit areas, my A9 eventually will fail to AF with the TAP.
Using ISO 100 on a tripod, it could handle f/4 and 5s but failed at f/5.6 and 10s.

K-H.

That is odd re the central focus area issue with the A9. Your post above prompted me to pull mine out to test again just now and in decent light (inside my office 50mm @1.7, 1/125th, ISO 200). AF in single point was snappy and worked all the way out to the furthest points along the edges. Eye-AF also worked pretty well all the way out to the furthest points.

Wondering what the causes in varying performance are. I actually ordered a second one from that BH deal (like GMPhotography-deal was too hard to ignore) and will see how that one fares compared to the one I have already.

Thanks again John for your post.
I used the last few hours to check out a total of 5 lenses and 2 TAPs on my A9.
The lenses are Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2, Summicron-M 50/2, APO Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH., Elmarit-M 90/2.8, and Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4.

Here is what I found: The TAP AF behavior depends on available light, the lens' optical properties and the focus area; lens center, in-between areas, sides, corners.

The Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 is WO only sharp in the center, but not further out.
So I could only focus it reliably fast near the center in enough light.
Stopping down improves sharpness but reduces light levels.

The Summicron-M 50/2 and APO Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH. could be focused well further out, including the sides, but corner focus had difficulties.
Also when focus isn't at the center, the A9 and TAP can exhibit weird behavior much more easily than otherwise.

The Elmarit-M 90/2.8 seems to show more focusing problems at the sides and especially the corners.

The Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4 seemed focus-wise positioned between the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 and the Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2.

I also observed weird behavior of A9 buttons and the menu when the focus point was positioned along the sides or in the corners and the TAP had failed to focus.
Pushing a button wouldn't reliably initiate the associated action. I probably left out some weird behavior even when focus os left in the center.
Shooting a bunch of images, especially in fairly rapid succession eventually will lead to weird behavior or hang the A9.

In conclusion, I feel comfortable using the TAP on A9 with central focusing point and some occasional glitches. My 2 cents.

K-H.

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:56 PM

Previous versions of k-h.a.w's message #14203888 « FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF! »