Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #14200449 « The Wait May Be Over »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: The Wait May Be Over

I won't address here the first subject that some have raised. You can determine your own answer based on the forum record.

Regarding x-trans sensors, my thoughts are a bit complicated. I have used Fujifilm x-trans cameras since I got my first, the XE1 something like five years ago. That camera, and the XPro2 that I now use, are both capable of producing excellent image quality and very fine large prints. I am completely confident in the ability of the XPro2 files to reliably and consistently produce beautiful 20" x 30" prints and larger, and I have sold/licensed images at up to 20"x 30" from the XE1.

I'm also aware of the past complaints about "issues" with x-trans images. Early on, before raw file conversion programs got a better handle on these non-Bayer-array sensor files, these could include, in rare situations:

1. "Smearing," in which along high contrast abrupt borders that were non-linear (think of the inside angle of a small "v-shape" where the outside is green and the inside is orange) would sometimes "bleed" into adjacent areas. I never saw this in a print, but on some occasions I could look closely at 100% crops to locate it. I never notice it any more.

2. Issues in areas of dense "random" detail, especially in the green channel. This can be seen in some areas of extremely fine foliage where the half-sampling rate limit is approached (or exceeded?) and there can be a fine "wormy" effect. Again, while I can find this in 100% magnification displays, it isn't visible in rather large prints. (I am convinced that this, however, is an artifact specifically related to the x-trans design.)

3. Other issues such as the so-called purple flare (never have seen it) and sharpening problems (no longer an issue in current sensor).

So, am I hear to defend x-trans?

No.

What I've really come to believe, based on using non-AA-filtering cameras from Fujifilm and other manufacturers is that, while x-trans produces excellent image quality, I do not see any particular advantage in the x-trans system.

My theory is that Fujifilm also understands this, but faces a difficult marketing issue if they do away with it in their premiere 1.5x cropped sensor systems. Note that they are doing away with it in lower end cameras and their high end, flagship, miniMF GFX camera.

For my money, they could move the entire line to Bayer array sensors, and if they didn't announce the change I don't think anyone would even notice! (In other words, virtually no one is "waiting" for this before going to Fujifilm. It is essentially a non-issue either way.)

Dan

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:06 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #14200449 « The Wait May Be Over »