Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of retrofocus's message #14195541 « Canon 100mm macro or sigma 105mm macro? »

retrofocus
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Canon 100mm macro or sigma 105mm macro?

I have both lenses and the Sigma ringflash. Both have their pros and cons, and depending on situations you might prefer one over the other.

Sigma 105/2.8:
+ Can go to a really small aperture of f/32 and is still sharp!
+ Lighter, more compact lens built
+ Outer lens is sitting back within the lens body which avoids flares, no lens hood needed IMO
- AF performance is slow
- Cumbersome AF/MF push/pull ring which easily changes its position and can potentially lead to damage of the AF

Canon 100/2.8 (non IS)
+ Excellent with AF even in macro mode
- Quite heavy and longer in lens size than the Sigma lens
- Bokeh is worse than the Sigma lens for some reason
- Only goes down to f/22

The Sigma ringflash works excellent with both lenses, no difference observed here. My choice from experience would be the Sigma lens if AF for regular tele lens range is not required (for macro I always use manual focus).

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:30 PM
retrofocus
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Canon 100mm macro or sigma 105mm macro?

I have both lenses and the Sigma ringflash. Both have their pros and cons, and depending on situations you might prefer one over the other.

Sigma 105/2.8:
+ Can go t a really small aperture of f/32 and is still sharp!
+ Lighter, more compact lens built
+ Outer lens is sitting back within the lens body which avoids flares, no lens hood needed IMO
- AF performance is slow
- Cumbersome AF/MF push/pull ring which easily changes its position and can potentially lead to damage of the AF

Canon 100/2.8 (non IS)
+ Excellent with AF even in macro mode
- Quite heavy and longer in lens size than the Sigma lens
- Bokeh is worse than the Sigma lens for some reason
- Only goes down to f/22

The Sigma ringflash works excellent with both lenses, no difference observed here. My choice from experience would be the Sigma lens if AF for regular tele lens range is not required (for macro I always use manual focus).

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:29 PM

Previous versions of retrofocus's message #14195541 « Canon 100mm macro or sigma 105mm macro? »