Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of bjornthun's message #14191573 « Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon »

bjornthun
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

dimitris77 wrote:
I have been using a 1Dsmkiii with a focusing screen with great success. Unfortunately it appears that modern DSLRs are not geared towards manual focusing so I am waiting on a mirrorless version with focus peaking from Canon (which sounds like it might be a while).

Kcct82 wrote:
bushwacker wrote:
muc_marlin wrote:
Hi bushwacker, sorry for the late answer, but I just saw that there is a question regarding focusing with the 5D MK4.

First of all, the most of my pictures are made from a tripod and are Landscapes with more than enough time to use live view with magnification. This is of course save and easy to do. But when shooting without a tripod and live view I do it like this, press half way the shutter...focus until the focus indicator starts to blink...just continue on focusing with micro adjustments...keep on taking pictures until I have a sequence of 3 to 4 pictures. This is done in a matter of 2-3 seconds and for landscape no problem. most of the time are the fist or the second in focus, even wide open. And yes I do use the canon default factory screen.

These lenses are really a joy to focus, so smooth and precise.

reason I asked is i tried manual focusing on 5d3 (with the default screen ) the focus is always off. One problem is I can't see contrast difference between OOF areas... this is the reason why i am stuck with 5d2 using the precision matte.

Same here, mk2 was much easier to manual focus after replacing the focusing screen, and for the mk4 I have take a sequence of 5-8 images if I really want to make sure I nail focus.

A mirrorless, like Sony A7/r/s II with IBIS will give a calmer viewfinder image, and favilitate manual gocusong even more than the first generation Sony bodies. I gave up on DSLRs, because I could could never be assured of correct manual focusing. I've tried alternative focusing screen and viewfinder magnifiers, all to no avail. Just losing money. I don't miss DSLRs.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:27 AM

Previous versions of bjornthun's message #14191573 « Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon »